<<<out of cheese error>>>

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hi Lemontree and parsniphead

Gain of the day, big cashback finally confirmed after months of chasing so requested that quickly. I've still got £60ish not moving on Q, and £21 overdue on TCB. Just have to view it as not real till it is confirmed.

When I got to work there was a computer issue. Gave up and came home after 3 hours of thumb twiddling. I bet it got fixed five minutes after I left. Took the opportunity to take a minor detour to pick up a parcel from Asda that I ordered at the weekend. 4 bedside lamps at £1.25 each, on the planned purchase list but great price so used some of my paypal balance. I bet the light bulbs cost more than the actual lamps.

I made the fatal mistake of just having a quick look round and was filling my basket in the garden and outdoors sale when I came to my senses and put it all back. Don't need any of it, not on my list and its just more clutter, even if it is cheap clutter. I did fritter £3 on a box of 30 seabrooks crisps though, so the DC will be pleased.
  • redofromstart
    Cheese n pickle for lunch. Still need to grate and freeze the rest and sort out the other two packets.

Savers value pickle (21p maybe) much improved by stirring through a sprinkle of chipotle chill flakes (MrM, 80p). I had been looking for a jar of chilli chutney but this is a far cheaper option. I should make my own but I cant stand the smell of chutney cooking.

Did the SIM card transfer thing so £20 a month reduction, and checked OH contract to see we can reduce that to SIM only next week.

BG increase letter reminded me turn the boiler down, but I am still having to add cold water to the bath so will turn it down another half notch and see what that does.
  • Lemon_Tree
    Lemon_Tree Posts: 10,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    well done for putting things back after they jumped into your basket, i'm not sure how easily I would achieve that if they were in there.
  • redofromstart
    Thanks LT - the last thing I need is to add to the clutter mountain but its so easy to slip into yes but its a bargain mode. Only a bargain if we actually need it.

Back on 'don't know what to eat mode', but thankfully DS1 had a helpful opinion. He inspected the freezer list and said sausages and extra cheesy mash (yesterday), macaroni double cheese with bacon (today) and cheese, bacon and chicken pie (tomorrow), all with extra crispy bits, and no vegetables. I still have to cook it but at least somebody will be happy, although I will stand firm on the need for vegetables.

Given that we will have to submit three months bank statements when we try for the re-mortgage I really don't want every second entry to be the Co-op. Must plan, must not be distracted. Ooh shiney stuff...
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Blimey, I wish I lived in your house. All that lovely cheese, yum.

What self control to put stuff back. Brilliant :T.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • redofromstart
    I find it really hard to resist a 'bargain', early years on this site was both good and bad as I had time on my hands and could swoop on the many offers people found. When we changed our focus and spending became as issue I got a lot better at resisting things, although I still buy the odd thing to stash in the present drawer.

Things have changed a little - OH says change is afoot at work, so we need to do the remortgage sooner rather than later just in case :( as he will go back to consultancy if his contract ends as he enjoys that more which is fair enough. Anyway, by mutual agreement we have taken a gamble and used most of the emergency fund to pay the card off with a view to applying for the mortgage in a week or two when the card statements come through. I am not sure how I feel about this to be honest, I hate the fact that we now have no real emergency fund so I need to build that back up as a matter of urgency. On the positive side for the first time in 25 years I have no debt at all (if you counted the dormant student loan as debt) other than the enormous mortgage.

When we took the mortgage out it was at 90% LTV, and the remortgage would be around 60%, even based on a paper check that ignores all the work that has been done, and even with reducing the term by a few years to his retirement date we would knock £150 a month off what we are currently paying - the penalty for a Northern Rock mortgage that we haven't been able to move since. We were both working when we took it out, and the borrowing multipliers where higher then. There is a also a chance that we will want to sell up in five years when the boys finish school so I need to factor that in too. We live in this very flat area because of the jobs we both did 15 years ago, rather than any particular affection for it. I want hills and the sea :o

DS1 wants chicken pie for dinner, OH wants tapas (I foolishly left a recipe book out) and I am not sure the two are easily compatible. I am not working out today, but I do have tedious to do.
  • Expensive morning. School uniform ordered for DS1 - blazer, tie and PE shirt, £60 gone. They change uniform at 14 which is just stupid hence the pretentious blazer and tie. Enquiry email sent for DS2 PE t-shirt which is a new introduction this year. I assume the people making these decisions don't have children themselves. Up until last year they had to wear a plain white polo for PE which was easy and cheap. They also have to have a rugby shirt and boots shortly - they only play rugby once a year for a six week block. Makes me so cross, especially as both boys hate sport.

Usual battle about school shoes next I suspect.

Chicken and prawns out of the freezer. eggs boiled for devilled eggs. Might go and vent my irritation by smashing some olives to marinade.
  • Debt free did I read? Congrats. No, student loan doesn't count in any way, shape or form. I dont even think of mine.

£60 for all that uniform? Luxury, in my day.....
    We have hockey stick and tennis racquet for similar 4 lessons per year reasons, and all the parents on the board are solicitors or accountants so they have no concept of reality
  • I have moved money round rather than made any great income/saving and I fell slightly ill when I look at my now tiny emergency fund.

Pay day today on my agency job, straight in, straight out again, this time on the daily use credit card (petrol, supermarket) so that that is clear for statement day. I am due to have a holiday deposit returned that will now take that card into credit but didn't want to risk it not being in for the 19th.

£60 on uniform doesn't sound too bad does it Winter but its just part of it this year. Luckily DS2 is inheriting DS1s logo sweatshirts and polo shirts but he still needs more trousers, shoes and trainers and his new branded PE t-shirt which is from a different company. DS1 has already had £100 worth of shirts and trousers (M&S because I had a voucher to use) but needs shoes, trainers, etc. I hate shopping. They hate shopping. I try to do as much as I can online as a result.

Some of my Amazon credit used on puppy food and a birthday present. Chipping away at Swagbucks helps with this, and I generally take any quidco cashback as Amazon vouchers for the tiny uplift.

Mixed views on the tapas, lot of effort for the end result. Green beans with pine nuts will get added to my vegetables I actually like collection so not all bad.

Lamb mince out of the freezer, so will do kebab for OH dinner to avoid the inevitable Friday takeaway request. Also need to make DS1 the chicken pie he requested with the remains of yesterdays roasted chicken. Should be able to get enough off for chicken and sweetcorn soup too, especially if I pressure cook the carcass for some stock. Best get some bread dough on the go too.

No external work today, and I need to get another 3 hours of tedious in :cool:.
  • redofromstart
    A fairly productive day despite my ankle still being wonky, running on it yesterday was probably foolish:
    • More blackberries picked and frozen with a view to do doing one big batch of jelly.
    • Four hours of tedious done, and the remittance advice for Junes work arrived so that should be in the bank in a few days
    • One SBs voucher ordered
    • Finally had some surveys on PA, after being stuck at 50p for weeks.

Dinner ended up being rice, lamb kofte kebabs, lentil dhal, and chicken madras (with the nice bits of the leftover chicken) for us, and chicken pie for DS1 with the scrappier bits going into a white sauce, and topped with some very reduced puff pastry from the freezer. Scraps leftover for soup tomorrow. I feel like the previous days leftovers keep rolling over at the minute. There's half a pack of puff pastry to use too - thinking either cinnamon swirls or sausage rolls. Plenty of sausages in the freezer still.

Read TOPMs diary which made me want biscuits. Had to cobble some oat biscuits together based on what we actually have in the cupboards, edible rather than amazing and the last of the out of date baking fat used up. Boys kindly saved me from myself and ate most of them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback