Why was friend offended?

I was complaining to my friend through a text about my girlfriend moaning to my mum that I don't give her enough money with them saying I only paid half the ferry costs etc (for next holiday) and then £30 for our son's birthday (for 2 kids) while she paid for everyone else. I pointed out to friend that this was the first year I was allowed to invite anyone ( his two kids). I wasn't allowed any of my friend's kids before.- He put a sad icon on his reply to this.

Why?

He's skint too.

I made other jokes about the two of them moaning about £250 only that I give monthly for maintenance. I visit her and occasionally eat her food etc But my net profit is only £8,200 with turnover of £19,000 as I've just started my business.

Comments

• Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Do you think the sad face icon means he is offended?

I think it means he is sorry for you and your situation.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    textbook wrote: »
    I was complaining to my friend through a text about my girlfriend moaning to my mum that I don't give her enough money with them saying I only paid half the ferry costs etc (for next holiday) and then £30 for our son's birthday (for 2 kids) while she paid for everyone else. I pointed out to friend that this was the first year I was allowed to invite anyone ( his two kids). I wasn't allowed any of my friend's kids before.- He put a sad icon on his reply to this.

Why?

He's skint too.

I made other jokes about the two of them moaning about £250 only that I give monthly for maintenance. I visit her and occasionally eat her food etc But my net profit is only £8,200 with turnover of £19,000 as I've just started my business.

Is this girlfriend or ex girlfriend? Seems very confusing
  • vroombroom
    vroombroom Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    :-(

Seriously, if your texts are as confusing as your posts, I'd have a sad face emoji too.
    :j:jOur gorgeous baby boy born 2nd May 2011 - 12 days overdue!!:j:j
  • I didn't understand a word of that
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I must admit, I am confused here too. But then, I am easily confused

Sad emoticon doesn't mean offended imo, though - hope this helps
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,297 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    textbook wrote: »

Why?

He's skint too.

I'd be more worried that the mother of your children doesn't think you are paying enough and is now dragging your mother into it.

A sad face emoji could mean several different things but i'm not sure being offended is one of them.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    vroombroom wrote: »
    :-(

Seriously, if your texts are as confusing as your posts, I'd have a sad face emoji too.

Me too.
    But, OP, instead of asking random strangers on t'interweb, why don't you use your phone to ring your friend and ask him what the 'sad icon' was supposed to mean.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'm confused too. What makes you think your friend was offended? And why not just ask him?

A sad-face emoji doesn't usually conveythat someone is offended. Normally it would suggest thatthey are (or want to look) sympathetic - in this context, I would read it as the equivalent of his saying "that sucks" or just as a general indication that he had read your texts and wanted to react in a supportive way.

If youhave any other reason to think he was offended, then look at your texts and think about your normal intereaction with him, to work out why that might be. Did you use offenisive terms about women intalking about your ex, for instnace? Have you ben complaining a lot so he might be fed up of always hearing about problems, or have you bbeen complaning a lot and not listening to any concerns he might have?

I man, there are all sorts of reason why he might be offended, but the simplest way to adress it is to say to him 'HaveI done somthing to offend you?" and take it from there.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Send a puzzled face emoji back to him.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    silvercar wrote: »
    Send a puzzled face emoji back to him.

Or the poo with eyes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income