Being charged double the dig money since boyfriend moved in

Comments

• maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    40 years ago I was paying £175 a month for rent & bills in a share and bought my own food.
    I suspect that the extra money does cover extra utilities, and to ensure that the arrangement doesn't get too easy for the 2 of you to stay put.
    She helped you out when you were 16, you are very fortunate to have had somebody to care for you. Please do not make yourself out to be ungrateful now
  • Her spending habits are none of your business.
    Accept the deal and put up with her rules or step into the real world and make your own rules.

You seem to have no idea how much is costs to run even a small home. Have you heard of council tax. You might want to do some research before you “sit her down” and give her your thoughts.

Very bizarre and strange thoughts.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Please let me know what date you are moving out - it’s a cracking deal, tell your godmother I’ll take the room :-)
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ... I know I'm getting a good deal as I know these things come to more than £250 a month.

This jumps out at me - for years you were happy to take advantage of the good deal you get. When for a few months you think the deal might swing her way you are not happy. I think if you consider it over the whole time you have lived there you are still getting a great deal.

But maybe you could offer to take on a greater role in the food shopping and preparation? To make sure you get and prepare stuff both you and she likes?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • combeferret
    combeferret Posts: 26 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Well, I have an update for everyone!

When I got home, she sat me down and said she'd looked through every single bill she pays (plus the Sky.) It came to £312 a month (she lives rent free in a flat owned by family hence why it's so low).

She suggested that she pay half of the bills, and my boyfriend and I pay half, as she didn't see it fair that we paid 1/3rd each when it's "her house." I disagreed with that, especially since it's a lot lower than what we were paying, so I told her bf and I will pay all of the bills ourselves.

The arrangement we have arrived at; bf and I pay her £150 a month each to cover all household bills, we will all buy our own food, and we will split the cost of household essentials three ways. I have decided to help her set up an account for "bills only" so that it's clear exactly where our money is going, as she didn't want to see it disappear from her account when she goes shopping without knowing the bills were covered properly.

This means all three of us will be better off financially, much less food waste, and the promise to revisit it next month to see how it's all worked out. Now it's up to me to get started on eating the backlog of food in the freezer before we next hit the shops!
    £-667 HSBC Credit Card
    £-735 M&S Credit Card
    £-3,526 Barclaycard Credit Card
  • I think you are making this up.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    So you're never going to grow up and move out?

Coincidence that she came to this decision the same day you posted this thread!
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I think you are making this up.

Dunno, my bills in a 2 bed are about that.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • combeferret
    combeferret Posts: 26 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I think you are making this up.
    Coincidence that she came to this decision the same day you posted this thread!
    We had the discussion last night, I posted the thread whilst I was at work, and she sat me down today having done the calculations when I got home. (I did take a wee picture but it won't let me post it.)

We had a problem, we sat down and discussed it, and going forward she's going to be paying less overall for everything. She says that since we're an hosuehold of three equals, it's only fair we do it this way.
    £-667 HSBC Credit Card
    £-735 M&S Credit Card
    £-3,526 Barclaycard Credit Card
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    We had the discussion last night, I posted the thread whilst I was at work, and she sat me down today having done the calculations when I got home. (I did take a wee picture but it won't let me post it.)

We had a problem, we sat down and discussed it, and going forward she's going to be paying less overall for everything. She says that since we're an hosuehold of three equals, it's only fair we do it this way.

How long do you plan to stay? Surely none of you want this to be a permanent arrangement?
    Have to say, if I'd been kind enough to let you stay with me for 7 years and allow your boyfriend in too, I wouldn't consider you my equals in terms of household decision making!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure