Really old PPI and lost details

So I've been putting this off and putting this off for years because I've never been able to face up to and get my head around doing it.

I've been trying to work out how to go about it and downloaded the template letter for reclaiming. I've had some loans from Barclays as well as an overdraft from them many many years ago, and credit cards from Barclaycard and Egg, but my problem is I have no idea of the dates they were taken out, can't even remember anywhere near what year I took them out.
I also can't remember any account numbers so can't add these details into the template letter.
I've moved house a couple of times since as well.

I feel completely helpless, what do I do about these details on the latters?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,423
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Go to their website and ask them to look if you had any PPI.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • We tried to use template, bank said we had no claim. Was phoned by a firm that takes commission, told them not really interested as bank already said we had no claim. They asked if they could try anyway, no fee if no money owed so we said yes. Filled in their forms, most of the time clicking ‘don’t know’ for dates and details. Delighted to now have £9000! And the bank said we had no claim.....can you ever trust them....

We had moved house also
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Ennill1 wrote: »
    Delighted to now have £9000! And the bank said we had no claim.....
    The claim company didn't get you the money, but you'll now pay more them than £2,000 (plus VAT) for basically putting the stamp one the envelope containing your "new" complaint.

£2250 for using a free complaint process!

You really should have just tried again alone...

Why did the Bank originally reject your complaint exactly? If most of your answers were "don't know" in the original complaint as well as the new one, then there must have been something fundamentally wrong with your first complaint. In addition, if you had been fully and finally rejected the first time, you would not have been allowed a second attempt...
  • My Question is, is I'm using the template letter as Martin Lewis suggests, what do I put for the dates and account numbers if I have no clue?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Don't use a template.

Write your own complaint with as much information as you can remember.

Or submit a SAR.
  • Forgive my ignorance, but what as a SAR?

I really haven't a clue what I'm doing with this, hence following the guidance on MSE
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Subject Access Request.

It's a request for the data that a company holds on you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure