How much do you PERSONALLY have available to spend each month as discretionary income?

Options
Approximately how much do you PERSONALLY have available to spend each month as 'discretionary income', that is to say money left over after deducting taxes (including council tax) as well as expenditure on accommodation, utilities and food?

just curious....

After everything, there is probably £300 I can spend on what I want, including saving. If I was going to spend all that money at the beginning of the month, I would pretty much have to live of bread and water.

How much do you PERSONALLY have available to spend each month as discretionary income? 359 votes

Practically nothing
11% 41 votes
Less than £125
11% 40 votes
£125 to £249
13% 48 votes
£250 to £499
15% 57 votes
£500 to £749
8% 31 votes
£750 to £999
8% 30 votes
£1,000 to £1,249
8% 29 votes
£1,250 to £1,499
3% 13 votes
£1,500 to £1,749
3% 12 votes
£1,750 to £1,999
2% 9 votes
£2,000 or more
13% 49 votes

Comments

• goodwithsaving
    goodwithsaving Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What's the point of this? Everyone's situation is different.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options

+1 to this ^^^^
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    roughly £2100
  • KnightRider
    Options
    Yep - everyone's situation is different and will depend on where they are in life, what has happened along the way and other stuff. If you'd asked me this about 10 years ago it would have been a very different answer to the one I can give now!

I'm not going to give an exact figure... but I'm a single guy, living on my own and have no debt other than a mortgage (which I've managed to whittle down quite a bit over the last few years). I set myself a fixed amount to save each month for the future or for when something big breaks (like the roof, for example) but I live very comfortably, I collect geeky stuff and go to events... spoil myself probably more often than I should. I'm very fortunate and grateful because it hasn't always been that way! :-)
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    JackeeBoy wrote: »
    Approximately how much do you PERSONALLY have available to spend each month as 'discretionary income', that is to say money left over after deducting taxes (including council tax) as well as expenditure on accommodation, utilities and food?

just curious....

After everything, there is probably £300 I can spend on what I want, including saving. If I was going to spend all that money at the beginning of the month, I would pretty much have to live of bread and water.
    You said after "accommodation, utilities and food?"
    So why would you be on bread and water if you spent it at the start? Presumably you dont budget for bread and water. :rotfl:
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    You said after "accommodation, utilities and food?"
    So why would you be on bread and water if you spent it at the start? Presumably you dont budget for bread and water. :rotfl:

I was wondering the same thing!
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    Exactly, it varies depending on overtime in this household, no two months the same unless theirs no overtime on offer, so how longs a piece of string.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Exactly, it varies depending on overtime in this household, no two months the same unless theirs no overtime on offer, so how longs a piece of string.
    I'm always suspicious when someone asks questions such as this because they're 'curious'.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If I have £1 ..... and then meet Mr Right .... it'd change overnight to, possibly £1000.

If you are going to do such a thing as this, then you shouldn't arbitrarily pick your numbers - disposable income is "after housing costs", else it gets queered by people living luxuriously and bemoaning poverty.

Maybe "after work travel costs" would be relevant, but not food etc.

Two people might have £500/month at this point.

If one spends: £150 on heating/water and £200 on food they have £150 remaining.

If another spends £60 on heating/water and £100 on food they have £340 remaining.

Both have the same money, at £500 ... but the one with £150 remaining will be "moaning" that the other's so much better off....
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    About £7.6M Give or take a few hundred thousand
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income