Stocking up a college bag

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 July 2019 at 7:24PM
    Personalised water bottle from the Love Island app if she watches it. My friend just got one lol. Bit cringe, but so many watch it (sadly, I'm ashamed to admit - me too LOL). (And no, it wasn't me who bought the bottle lol :laugh:)
    https://loveislandshop.co.uk/products/bottle
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Alan2020 wrote: »
    macbook air
    iPad
    iPhone

Really? The OP was mentioning power banks and hair bobbles. Not many hundreds of pounds worth of gadgets.
    Unless you want to adopt me - my phone is about to give up the ghost.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Travel pass/ticket holder/travel wallet?

Having the essential stuff in one easy to identify by sight (& touch? these things can slide to the bottom of bags!) can be really helpful.

The bag is a lovely generous idea & I'm sure she'll be delighted!
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    When a young relative of ours went off to university many years ago I gave him a wrapped package to be opened once he was on his own. I included envelopes marked up:

"For the conversationally challenged" (a phone card with money on it. This was the days before mobile phones were in regular use)
    "For the alcoholically challenged" (hangover cures)
    "For the nutritionally challenged". (Supermarket vouchers)
    "For the financially challenged". (paper money)
    "For the horizontally challenged". (Condoms!)

His Mum would have had a fit at the last item but it was also a hidden message that it was OK to talk to us about difficult topics. He loved it.
    Am sure you can come up with some ideas relevant to your daughter's own personality.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Unless I am reading this wrong, its for a young lady who will be travelling out of the area, commuting, but living at home

this is what i would get
    1- rail card / bus pass
    2- panic alarm
    3 - mobile phone - i am sure she will already have one of these though

nothing else
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Alan2020 wrote: »
    macbook air
    iPad
    iPhone
    elsien wrote: »
    Really? The OP was mentioning power banks and hair bobbles. Not many hundreds of pounds worth of gadgets.
    Unless you want to adopt me - my phone is about to give up the ghost.

No, not really. *rollseyes*
  • sazaccount
    sazaccount Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Not so much MSE but possibly a trip to paperchase...
    A new notebook, A4 with lines and holes so it can be filled into a folder, a folder, a new pen, an academic diary, a collapsible coffee cup (if she drinks hot drinks) lunch box/reusable knife fork spoon, double walled water bottle (keeps water cold or can be used for hot drinks as well), painkillers eg paracetamol, travel ticket wallet, back up battery and spare charging cable, if your daughter wears makeup a small makeup bag with hair ties, comb or brush, spare headphones (nothing worse than forgetting your headphones or a pair breaking and you have to travel) Emergency money kept in the makeup bag or in a small pocket encase she looses her purse/travel card to be able to get home.
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • A trolley to put her new bag on as its going to weigh a tonne once its been filled with all of the above ;)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for all the suggestions, plenty to go on and things I hadn't considered.

Yes, she's living at home and commuting (equiv of sixth form)

Some ideas, we already own, such as the metal water bottles, so in the interest of money saving I wasn't going to purchase new (yet, anyway - maybe a good one for Christmas) and I am mindful of what someone said, she'll want to put her own items in also. Others such as the academic diary/planner I'd already picked up.

I recently bought a really handy organiser from Home Bargains that has separate compartments for small bits that fits into it's own pouch for £1.99:money: and this is what I will fill with some of the ideas from here.
  • sazaccount
    sazaccount Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    A trolley to put her new bag on as its going to weigh a tonne once its been filled with all of the above ;)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: although during dissertation time at uni I used to use a hand luggage size suitcase to cart my books, papers and laptop around (my 2006 laptop weighted a ton!)
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure