Is it just women who get caught up with the whole "fairy tale wedding"?

Comments

• I suppose it depends on your circle of friends, but I got married 38 years ago and we had a big church wedding, as did all our friends. All of us are still married too!
    Mine will be 37 years this year, having married at age 18, and i can assure you that EVERY single big wedding i have attended ended in Divorce, which frankly is in keeping i suspect with current divorce rates and not sweeping statements as you have claimed.
    When it comes right down to it, just be happy for your friends, for they are the exception not the rule.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Jimjimmini wrote: »
    I am with the one I want to spend the rest of my life with and we have a baby together but we are not yet married. We both are careful with money but my partner can be more gungho with money than I when she has her heart set on something - makes me worry that, when the day eventually comes, during wedding planning she may get sold on quite a few things that I think unnessary or a waste of money that could be invested in ours and our babies future.

Let's hope she discusses it with you before going all gungho on the things that you think are unnecessary. ;)

That's what being in a partnership is about.
  • Mine will be 37 years this year, having married at age 18, and i can assure you that EVERY single big wedding i have attended ended in Divorce, which frankly is in keeping i suspect with current divorce rates and not sweeping statements as you have claimed.
    When it comes right down to it, just be happy for your friends, for they are the exception not the rule.

What did you do at those weddings!!?? :eek::rotfl:
  • What did you do at those weddings!!?? :eek::rotfl:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: i know right!
    You actually couldnt make it up could you! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Mine will be 37 years this year, having married at age 18, and i can assure you that EVERY single big wedding i have attended ended in Divorce, which frankly is in keeping i suspect with current divorce rates and not sweeping statements as you have claimed.

How can that be in keeping with divorce rate statistics? Is there a subset of figures which assess the kind of wedding you had?:D

Your comments are anecdotal (just as mine are) and neither of us has the data required to make a definitive judgment on whether the size and type of wedding is factored into the probability for divorce.

https://ifstudies.org/blog/why-is-divorce-declining-in-the-uk
  • How can that be in keeping with divorce rate statistics? Is there a subset of figures which assess the kind of wedding you had?:D

Your comments are anecdotal (just as mine are) and neither of us has the data required to make a definitive judgment on whether the size and type of wedding is factored into the probability for divorce.

https://ifstudies.org/blog/why-is-divorce-declining-in-the-uk
    Again i reiterate my comments are FACTUAL,
    Around 42% of current uk marriages end in divorce, very nearly 1 in 2 weddings and i'm going to take it thats whether big or small , but as someone pointed out, the trend these days does seem to be outlandish weddings.
    So if i've seen all mine get divorced and you havnt then.........its just about NORMAL.
    I'm sure you didnt really need me to point that out.
    I think in all fairness, that its evident we rub each other up the wrong way, with this in mind i think its best we ignore each other from now on.
  • We are actually in agreement then, the kind of wedding makes no difference to the propensity for divorce. However, imo using capitals to make a point is unnecessary.

This forum is for debate, I was under the impression that was what we were doing but if you choose not to engage with me do that is fine. If I agree/disagree with one of your posts I will respond. 'Rubbing each other up the wrong' way is not on my radar, but if that is how you see it I can't change that.

One of your posts (since removed I note) which was directed towards me was rude and I stated that, but even so, I responded perfectly politely, so from my perspective, I don't have any issues with you.
  • Mercenary
    Mercenary Posts: 627 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 July 2019 at 12:50PM
    A wedding never crossed my mind, let alone a big flouncy princess one, when I was a tomboy girl growing up.

I didn't want to marry my boyfriend but was pressured into it by outraged relatives because I was pregnant.
    It was a registry office marriage and my parents provided some food for a few relatives, so not a lot of cost.
    Thank god it wasn't made into the circus we see everywhere today. I felt totally embarrassed :( and distant from the whole thing. This was at the start of the 80s.

The relationship ran out of steam very quickly as we weren't actually compatible and we finally divorced a few years ago to our mutual great relief :D .
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    I would have got married by post if it had been possible.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    GaleSF63 wrote: »
    I would have got married by post if it had been possible.

So a long-distance relationship then....?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure