Stop giving and receiving gifts

Options
13»

Comments

• flanker6
    flanker6 Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My wife and I stopped buying gifts for each other a few years back.
    We now make a point of going away together, for a weekend, every month.
    This is far better than trying to wrack my brains buying a gift that she won't use/want/need.
    My siblings have started doing the same . . . and both have said that they felt relief in not having the pressure of trying to "surprise and delight" with a christmas or birthday gift.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    With the passing of the most of our elders in the family, we wanted to start some new traditions so last Christmas we (parents and adult children) didn't buy presents for each other but each of us bought something for ourselves - it was actually rather nice to think of ourselves and get things we really wanted.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    flanker6 wrote: »
    My wife and I stopped buying gifts for each other a few years back.
    We now make a point of going away together, for a weekend, every month.
    This is far better than trying to wrack my brains buying a gift that she won't use/want/need.
    My siblings have started doing the same . . . and both have said that they felt relief in not having the pressure of trying to "surprise and delight" with a christmas or birthday gift.

That’s lovely but not very moneysaving! :rotfl:
  • flanker6
    flanker6 Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That’s lovely but not very moneysaving! :rotfl:

We book through Groupon!
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our son and daughter (one 51, one approaching 50) made a mutual agreement years ago to stop giving 'occasion' gifts to each other. They each have a ds and dd, and stopped gifting the 3 eldest when they became working adults.

My wife and I are about to have a significant anniversary soon, but instead of buying each other expensive gifts that we may never use, we are going on a river cruise, which is waht we both love. At our ages, we have everything we need and no need for "things". So we don't buy gifts for each other: if one of us needs or wants something, we buy it. I will occasionally buy flowers when my OH least expects it, which is a much better thought I think - "Because I love you."
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family