Potentially dumb question about P11D, payrolled benefits, and tax returns

Hi all,

It's tax return time again! Hope you can help. I have my P60, and asked my employer about P11D, and got this response:

"Because taxable benefits have been administered through the payslip we no longer have to produce P11Ds"

Presumably this means that the amount I have paid in tax shown on my P60 includes all tax liable on benefits (health insurance, childcare vouchers, etc.)?

Does that then mean that on my online tax return in the section "Taxable benefits and expenses for CompanyX", I leave all these blank?

I've read that there are exceptions for beneficial low interest loans, but don't have one of these, so doesn't apply to me.

Sorry if this is a really thick question - hope someone can dispel my confusion!

Thanks!

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does your payslips show the benefits being taxed through the payroll?
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They should still give you details of the taxable benefit according to HMRC

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/payrolling-tax-employees-benefits-and-expenses-through-your-payroll

But you will not need to declare in your Tax Return.
  • Spidernick
    Spidernick Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    From what your employer has said your BIKs have all been taxed through the payroll (as above, your payslips should also indicate this) and the amount of these should be included in the P60 total. This means that the only entry on your 17/18 tax return for the employment pages would then be the P60 amounts of taxable pay and tax withheld on this.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
  • Loose_Cannon
    Loose_Cannon Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. Yes, all my BIKs (pension, travel insurance, medical, dental, childcare vouchers) are listed under "Earnings" on my payslip. I'll check when I'm home, but I think they might be on my PAYE coding notice too. So looks like I don't need to declare under taxable benefits as they have already been taxed... which is good news, because it means HMRC owe me a small amount instead of the other way around!

Thanks everybody for the help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport