The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

HSBC Advance account application process complaint

welshmike_2
welshmike_2 Posts: 92 Forumite
edited 16 June 2017 at 1:31PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Please do not take this as a rant.

I attempted to apply by phone for the subject account earlier this week and was told that I needed to have an appointment at a HSBC branch.(My mistake because I now believe that I can apply online).
I had that appointment at a HSBC branch today and after 90 minutes during the application process at the branch the application had not been completed and I had to leave so as not to overstay my 2 hours parking ticket and get fined.
As far as I can recollect I had not been told by phone that I needed to take 2 pieces of identification, one containing my address (I happened to have my driving licence on me though) and information about my income and outgoings. The patient and polite person at the HSBC branch carried out my application as efficiently as possible but not due to the person's fault the HSBC process was cumbersome and lengthy and we ran out of time. The person told me that it usually takes 2 hours to complete the application process (I had not been told that on the phone). On my return from the branch today I started to apply online.
As some stage it was written during the online process that it was important to read the following document
http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/PA_esf-ca-app-content/content/uk/pdfs/en/47590_Personal_Banking_TCs_WEB.pdf
Therein is stated
Payments within the UK - Electronic Funds
Transfers To non-HSBC accounts - Online Banking-n/a
So does that mean not available (or zero charge)?
However I have now completed the online application and will await the outcome.

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm not sure what your complaint is as you don't seem to have specified it in your post.

On your question I would say that it means there is no charge for payments made through Online Banking, although I agree it's not entirely clear, and their charges for using other payment methods are so ridiculous that I would steer clear of this account completely unless there is some compelling reason for opening it.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,865
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Prepare be frustrated.. worst account opening process in my UK wide (including foreign & challenger) bank experience...
  • TheEffect
    TheEffect Posts: 2,293
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've opened various HSBC accounts in branch, including HSBC Plus (no longer offered), HSBC Student and HSBC Advance (most recently).

It does not take 2 hours to run through the application. An hour, if you get someone extremely slow, maybe.
  • soulsaver
    Forumite
    soulsaver wrote: »
    Prepare be frustrated.. worst account opening process in my UK wide (including foreign & challenger) bank experience...
    Worst on-line... branch is reputed to be a lot better.
  • bravotango
    bravotango Posts: 112
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 17 June 2017 at 1:54PM
    To be honest, I've never really had any major problems with HSBC, and they have been courteous most of the time. If they have messed up, they have owned up to it, and if it has been a major inconvenience, they have provided sufficient compensation.

Maybe it's regional? (I'm down in Central London).

I didn't open a new account with HSBC all those years ago, as I originally opened a Midland Bank account which subsequently was bought by HSBC. After a year or two of the Advance account being out, they automatically upgraded my account to an Advance account, and it's still been fine.

Do you have another branch you could go to?

The longest time I have had to spend in a HSBC branch has probably been 25-30mins, but usually on average about 4-7mins (whether using the counter service, or speaking to someone at a customer service desk, or just using the automated machines). I don't know your location, but maybe because there are quite a few branches dotted around Central London, it helps to disperse the customers a bit more, hence less of a crowd?

With regards to providing 2 pieces of identification, I thought it was standard practice for them to do something like this. I know they tend to do Electronic Checks now, but I know a number of people who work for the Civil Service and they originally had to provide 2 pieces of identification (firstly, Name and secondly proof of address), and this is in addition to Central Government Electronic Checks to confirm you are who you claim you are. The simple fact is that there is a lot of fraud out there, and as there is no such thing as a fool proof system (all electrical systems have some bug or another, despite peoples intention to build a robust and secure system) it means they have to make sure everything is OK.
    Save Save Save
    :)
  • Sean473
    Sean473 Posts: 88
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    soulsaver wrote: »

Very true!!!
  • What is it that makes opening a HSBC account so frustrating? I have never used them before but I am thinking about applying for the Advance account. Are their procedures not the same as most other banks?
  • soulsaver
    Forumite
    What is it that makes opening a HSBC account so frustrating? I have never used them before but I am thinking about applying for the Advance account. Are their procedures not the same as most other banks?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5591268&page=2

See post #27 in particular - maybe they've improved... but I doubt it. Good luck, it gets there in the end.
  • The_Urbanite
    The_Urbanite Posts: 359
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    What is it that makes opening a HSBC account so frustrating? I have never used them before but I am thinking about applying for the Advance account. Are their procedures not the same as most other banks?

It's like getting into Fort Knox. Several layers of security, far more excessive than any other bank I've applied to.
  • welshmike_2
    welshmike_2 Posts: 92 Forumite
    This is a follow up to my post #1 in this thread.

I now have a HSBC Advance account and wanted to switch to it from an account I have with another bank. I read the pop-up on HSBC's website that states:
    The Current Account Switch Service is only available by either in branch or by calling our dedicated switching team once your account is opened. Switching using Current Account Switch Service cannot be done online.
    So I called HSBC to speak to the dedicated switching team and after a long wait and going through “security” I was put on music hold. After an interminable time I gave up.
    I do have an appointment at the branch where I spent 2 hours opening my account so that the switch can be carried out, allegedly to take “only” an hour.
    I note on HSBC’s website that the £200 offer is subject to availability.
    So will I end up not getting that and will it have been a complete waste of time?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure