We can't afford to live together and have children

Comments

• JPB156
    JPB156 Posts: 91 Forumite
    The scenario isnt far fetched it's very real for us, and if I'm repeating myself it's because the same questions keep getting asked.

We don't need to rent together we know our relationship it's not like we have been together for a few months. We have had a lot thrown at us in our time together and have come out stronger than ever
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    JPB156 wrote: »
    If you think it's foolish maybe you should look at the current position of the housing market we aren't the only ones faced with not being able to afford to live together and have children, we have done it for so long to save a good deposit, we thought that was a good way of doing it. But now it feels house prices have risen so high that the amount we have isn't so good anymore

Seriously, who is telling you this rubbish?

The housing market is very healthy at present, there is a housing shortage, but typically first time buyers are well accommodated on any new estates.

The problem you have is that you have good savings but a mediocre income.

The second problem you have is you're obsessed with home ownership. Why?
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    If you think it's foolish maybe you should look at the current position of the housing market we aren't the only ones faced with not being able to afford to live together and have children, we have done it for so long to save a good deposit, we thought that was a good way of doing it. But now it feels house prices have risen so high that the amount we have isn't so good anymore
    But you can afford to live together and have children, you're just looking for excuses.
  • JPB156
    Because if we rent forever we won't afford it once we retire.

So the housing market is in a great position when the average house price is further away from the average wage than its ever been?

It's great for people who bought their house a few years ago and its now worth thousands more, but not for first time buyers
  • Guest101
    The scenario isnt far fetched it's very real for us, and if I'm repeating myself it's because the same questions keep getting asked.

We don't need to rent together we know our relationship it's not like we have been together for a few months. We have had a lot thrown at us in our time together and have come out stronger than ever

No-one has asked the questions you're answering.

I think there's 8 posts telling you to rent, 4 saying you need a higher income, and atleast mine saying you need to look at social benefits and the cost of childcare.

As for this: We don't need to rent together we know our relationship it's not like we have been together for a few months. We have had a lot thrown at us in our time together and have come out stronger than ever - This something a teenager would say. You have no idea what it's like to live with someone. You live with your parents, never having to manage a home. People who have done it are telling you the truth, you just don't like it. There is literally nothing that could be thrown at you which in anyway correlates to actually living together.

Do you really want to be posting this in two years:

My GF has kicked me out of our house, my son/daughter is there. I earn minimum wage, live back with my parents and now have to pay £250 in child support. help!

We aren't saying this to be cruel, we're (or I'm) saying it to highlight the reality of posts which appear here on a daily basis. Literally on the same page there is a post of a couple divorcing after 16 years together, where the house is now an issue.
  • JPB156
    We can afford it now but surely will be living on borrowed time
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Don't you know about Housing Benefit?

https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/overview
  • Guest101

So the housing market is in a great position when the average house price is further away from the average wage than its ever been?

It's great for people who bought their house a few years ago and its now worth thousands more, but not for first time buyers

1: who said forever? How about 12 months?
    2: You're worried about retirement when you still live with your parents?
    3: Yes it is in a great position. Where do you live?
    4: You do not earn the average wage
    5: I rent....
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer

You and your partner may have been together for a long time – but you haven’t lived together. When you live with someone day in and day out, the rose tinted specs soon come off as you get to see the person going about their daily business warts and all. You cannot hide who you are for long. How do you know your partner isn’t messy/dirty/can’t cook/likes to leave clothes lying around etc.? You’ve only known her whilst she has lived with her parents. She/you may equally have habits that irritate the hell out of each other but you won’t find out until you have actually lived together.

Is there anything stopping you both from moving to a cheaper area and then applying for jobs nearer to your home?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Wow... sweeping generalisation much??
    That's a very cavalier attitude.

It might be more common now for women to put off having children until their late 30s/40s for financial/career reasons, but it's by no reason a certainty that they will be able to (and yes, I know it's not a certainty at any age but fertility starts to decline more rapidly after 35)

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Fertility/Pages/Protectyourfertility.aspx

Either you've misread what I said or you're on drugs. Or both.

Women do have children into their 40s, it is not a generalisation it is a fact. Yes, fertility declines as you get older but problems can occur at any age. It would be very irresponsible to have a child that you cannot afford simply because it might be a little more difficult to conceive later (and because the NHS will call you geriatric!).

I'm not suggesting you are irresponsible JPB, quite the opposite. You're considering your options before entering into a (very expensive) lifelong commitment. If your gf wants any reassurance on being an older mum tell her to head over to mumsnet, there are lots of women there in that situation, with the security of having built up career, on their way to paying off their mortgage and more life experience. It's not the easiest, but being a parent isn't at any age! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure