Climbing the Mountain

Options

Comments

• MistyMountainTop
    Options
    I have made my list of main goals for 2017 - If I reach even some of them, I will consider it a huge success! This diary has helped me achieve quite a bit over the last few months, it's been the catalyst to making changes that I've been planning for years but never actually managed. I intend to keep the diary updated daily/weekly to help me meet my goals.

I have 'borrowed' a few from Purplemo2. :o

1.Bring in extra £600 a month minimum, increasing income month on month
    2. Actively explore new ways to achieve above
    3. Finish the big de-clutter properly - anything sold, transfer money over to savings after bills are paid so it doesn't get spent
    4. Keep a spending diary in handbag, update after every purchase, review at end of each month
    5. Clean entire house thoroughly and set up a regular cleaning schedule, possibly join flylady
    6. Make and stick to Meal Plans / shopping lists / food budget
    7. Schedule No Spend days/weeks
    8. Transfer odd change to savings account every day
    9. Wombling
    10. Keep Debt-Free diary updated
    11. Budget – make and stick to
    12. Eat proper breakfast/lunch mainly fruit and veg, eat smaller portions for dinner, less carbs/sugar, puddings on special occasions only
    13. Cook most/all meals from scratch
    14. Meatless meals twice a week, increasing as we find recipes we love
    15. Bake once a week
    16. Get off laptop and live in the real world, severely limit online time wasting
    17. Lose 10lbs a month until reaching ideal weight, then maintain it
    18. Take at least 3 long walks a week
    19. Find a local yoga class and give it a try
    20. Figure out how to get a good nights sleep during the change
    21. Build up immune system/personal health
    22. Think before buying, is it really wanted/needed/useful/going to ruin my diet?
    23. Read all books I already own before buying/borrowing more
    24. Ziffit all unwanted books/games/DVDs
    25. Learn a new craft/skill i.e. knitting, quilting, or needlework
    26. Be more present in life, make a point of really listening when people talk
    27. Save for a week away with the family in a secluded holiday cottage in the country
    28. Save up and keep £500 in emergency fund, replenish if spent
    29. Keep on top of filofax planner and spend 10 minutes going over my calender/goals/lists every morning or possibly even the night before.
    30. Have a weekly de-clutter day or half day

I've already made a start on some of these but have kept them on the list to remind me to keep going. It's a big list, but I am determined that 2017 is going to be a year of big changes, even more than 2016. There's nothing impossible here and most if not all can be achieved by simply being organised and mindful about what I'm doing each day. Some of the things dovetail neatly into another, such as meal planning>meatless meals>more fruit and veg>long walks>yoga>losing weight.

I want to look back at this list on Dec. 31, 2017 and have met or made a very good effort on each and every goal. Reducing the time I spend 'wandering aimlessly' online will help towards most of it, so I will need to remind myself of it every morning until it becomes a habit.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi Misty,

Love your goals, very inspiring :)

Borrow away lovely, I may need to reassess mine now though looking at your list lol
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Brilliant set of goals Misty, many of which should appear on my list. I don't have a diary and unlikely to start one, but may pinch some of them and print off and fix in the front of my 2017 diary to remind me.

Wishing you and your family a very happy New Year.

MM x
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    I hope you have a lovely New Year as well Maddiemay. Your support has helped me so much over the months!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Happy New Year lovely xx
  • FrugalinShropshire
    Options
    Glad I have found your diary and I am subscribing. Love the list of goals xx
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire:T Proud to be mortgage and debt free:j
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    I'm happy to have you here, FrugalIS! I have been thinking longingly about your cottage. Knowing that there are people out there actually living my dream has made me more determined that I will have my own cottage, and sooner rather than later. I'm aiming for 5 years, so now just need to make a realistic plan of how to get there...
  • jvr
    jvr Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Love your goals also started little spending diary to keep with me hoping it will help me find even more ways to save in Feb by seeing if I have wasted money! Highly recommend finding a yoga class ... I began in august and it has done a lot for my mental health! Tried it at a gym years ago and hated it and then tried at at an actual yoga studio and fell in love. Got some goals for each week in someone elses diary but I like your longer term goals and think will draw up my own list. Love new year always find it so inspiring and this year think having a diary will help me stick at them!
    Debt: £14,000 now £2169
    Emergency Fund: 1000/ £1000
    :j
  • fru-girl
    fru-girl Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    Oh wow Misty, I'm impressed with your list..especially no 1, I should probably try to do that too, earn some extra money!

I also like some of your softer ones like 'be more present' and 'think before buying', I should make a list myself, and keep it on the pin board. One I'd add - communicate more with friends, sometimes I feel like I'm too busy and neglecting friendships - with people I really like and care about.
  • MistyMountainTop
    MistyMountainTop Posts: 682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 January 2017 at 11:45PM
    Options
    Thank you for the comments, jvr and frugirl! Yes I think I should add communicating more it's friends, too, and do it off of facebook. I deleted the app and am going to try to stay off of Fb during the day. I still have the messenger app as that's often how I am contacted about work, but unless there is an emergency I will try to reply to friends mainly in the evenings as well.

I've been off the computer for most of the day so far and have accomplished more than I had planned. I will take down the Xmas decorations tomorrow morning after DD has left for school. I am quite sore due to the cold but managed a little walk. I went to the post office and saw a friend in line behind me, she was hiding under her hair, had her back turned a bit, was peering very hard at her phone and was obviously trying not to be seen. I felt a bit sad but decided it was her problem, so walked out with a quick "Hi Jen!" I don't take other people's drama to heart or get involved anymore. I don't want to be dragged down by other people's negative attitudes.

Off to get some more work done! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport