We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Apologies in advance if this is an insensitive question, but when you've kept hens that are more as pets than for eggs, what do you do when they die? Iyswim :o:o
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 29 November 2017 at 11:44PM
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Apologies in advance if this is an insensitive question, but when you've kept hens that are more as pets than for eggs, what do you do when they die? Iyswim :o:o

No problem with you asking Pyxis.

We always bury ours in our garden because we have the space to do that. Will we run out of space one day? Maybe not sure but will have to cross that bridge when we come to It :o:o Still have plenty of room at the moment I'm pleased to say.

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Pyxis
    edited 2 December 2017 at 7:59AM
    Am sure people on this thread know about this, but just in case......

I found it on the Alphabetty thread in the Arms. It's on this weekend.

http://nationalshow.poultryclub.org

poussinoeuf.gifpoussinoeuf.gifpoussinoeuf.gif
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• edwink
    Am sure people on this thread know about this, but just in case......
    I found it on the Alphabetty thread in the Arms. It's on this weekend.
    http://nationalshow.poultryclub.org poussinoeuf.gifpoussinoeuf.gifpoussinoeuf.gif

Thank you so much for posting this information Pyxis.

I am no where near Telford but perhaps others on here are and would like to go.
    Love the little trio of chicks. Have a funny looking dancing one in return. chicken-run-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • edwink
    BBC NEWS artical on-line today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42208550

Edwink
  • Pyxis
    edwink wrote: »
    BBC NEWS artical on-line today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42208550

Edwink

Is th bird flu thing still ongoing?

Are free-range hens still not allowed outside?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    edited 2 December 2017 at 7:43PM
    Is th bird flu thing still ongoing?

Are free-range hens still not allowed outside?

Hi Pyxis

Free range poultry are allowed out since the ban was lifted earlier this year. Thankfully we have not got bird flu in the UK right now. Fingers, toes and everything else crossed that we don't get it here again.

Ours are free range but luckily for us we have a 23ft x 12ft chicken wired enclosure including a wired roof. So when the ban was introduced we completely covered the top over with tarpaulin and attached two layers of fine netting all the way around the sides. Its like a play ground in there with objects to climb on, logs to pick at, cabbage, lettuce and courgettes hanging from string. Somewhere for them to dust bathe and 2 outdoor shelters with perches in them and of course their overnight hotel which is actually not in there but attached to the side. Oh and a wooden bench for me to sit on for cuddles with them. So although mine were in they were actually out IYSWIM.

It wasn't so easy for those that don't have a massive coop as we do. Covering over a much smaller area would have been a little dark for their hens unless they were able to cover over and secure clear plastic sheeting.

I just hope a new ban is not introduced over this winter.

Edwink
  • Pyxis
    Henny cuddles sound nice! Especially if they also make those little clucking noises! :)
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    edited 2 December 2017 at 8:56PM
    Henny cuddles sound nice! Especially if they also make those little clucking noises! :)

Oh they do make those noises they really do. Plus the try hard to find things to eat in my hair and peck at my wedding ring because it is shiny. Funny lovable little things they really are.

Edwink
  • Hello everyone,

Sorry I've been away for so long. We've had nightmare building works going on, I've been ill, and our poor newbie has still not recovered from her fight with the Chunk and we've been in and out of the vets a lot lately.

We have made the decision to have Rusty (the newbie) put to sleep this week. She's had two rounds of surgery to drain and clear the abscess, she's been on maximum antibiotics for 6 weeks, and it keeps coming back. Her feathers aren't coming back after a big moult and she is losing weight. She sleeps a lot during the day. I don't think she can fight the infection anymore. I am heartbroken as she is a darling. She has beautiful brown eyes and is so lovely and cuddly. She always goes for my ring too, Edwink!

We are going to take her later this week. For now she is enjoying mealworms and porridge but I don't think it will be long before the abscess starts to obstruct her airway, and we can't allow her to suffer. I'm dreading it as I'm pregnant and a hormonal wreck.

In happier news Chunk and our other newbie get on very well. I don't know if I can keep on looking after hens though - they are so fragile, but make such a huge impact and it is awful when they go.

I'm so sorry to hear so many of you have had losses lately, too. It's so rotten.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback