Moved from support group to Wrag, need urgent help/advice

I a in desperate need of advice following a letter I received today stating that my Esa has been cut by £50 every two weeks.

For the past two years I have been in the support group due to anxiety chronic insomnia and severe dissociative symptoms/rerealization.

In August, I went to an aria meeting an didn't hear anything back until today, staying that I am now in the work related activity group.

I am physically and mentally a thousand times worse than I was previously and have been referred to a sleep clinic, psychiatrist and community psychiatric team in my area.

I have severe deralization symptoms that affect my ability to concentrate and my awareness is reduced to almost nothing, it is severe an debilitating.

I phone esa and was told I received NO points, which can't be correct because I'm in the wrag group. He must have meant in the limited work capability section.

I checked against he descriptors and it seems that I have at least one which would allow me into the support group. My doctors said they cannot write letters, but have given me a sick note for three months. Will this help or not, or could it worsen the situation?

These are the descriptors I think are applicable to me to be put in the support group.

1. Activity 10: Awareness of hazard

Descriptors:

Reduced awareness of everyday hazards, due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder, leads to a significant risk of:
(a) injury to self or others; or
(b) damage to property or possessions such that they require supervision for the majority of the time to maintain safety.

I have a significant risk, during altered stayed of consciousness of falling, moving into traffic and otherwise hurting myself.

Activity 12: Coping with change

Descriptors:
Cannot cope with any change, due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder, to the extent that day to day life cannot be managed.

I am so dissociated at stages that I find it near impossible to adapt to changes in routine. Alongside OCD that stops me from completing daily tasks properly (obsessive cleanliness)
Activity 13: Coping with social engagement, due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder

Descriptors:
Engagement in social contact is always precluded due to difficulty relating to others or significant distress experienced by the individual.

I'm an not sure on this, I have such bad panic and anxiety that seeing anyone in a dissociated state is not ok.

Activity 14: Appropriateness of behaviour with other people, due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder

Descriptor:
Has, on a daily basis, uncontrollable episodes of aggressive or disinhibited behaviour that would be unreasonable in any workplace.

I have violent outburst in public and will often shout or hit objects (never towards people).

What can I do? This couldn't have come at a worse possible time during the winter. I was barely supporting myself on the support rate.

Please help me make an appeal.

Thanks

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,930 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Benjamin_N wrote: »
    I a in desperate need of advice following a letter I received today stating that my Esa has been cut by £50 every two weeks.

For the past two years I have been in the support group due to anxiety chronic insomnia and severe dissociative symptoms/rerealization.

In August, I went to an aria meeting an didn't hear anything back until today, staying that I am now in the work related activity group.

I am physically and mentally a thousand times worse than I was previously and have been referred to a sleep clinic, psychiatrist and community psychiatric team in my area.

I have severe deralization symptoms that affect my ability to concentrate and my awareness is reduced to almost nothing, it is severe an debilitating.

I phone esa and was told I received NO points, which can't be correct because I'm in the wrag group. He must have meant in the limited work capability section.

I checked against he descriptors and it seems that I have at least one which would allow me into the support group. My doctors said they cannot write letters, but have given me a sick note for three months. Will this help or not, or could it worsen the situation?

These are the descriptors I think are applicable to me to be put in the support group.

Descriptors:

Reduced awareness of everyday hazards, due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder, leads to a significant risk of:
    (b) damage to property or possessions such that they require supervision for the majority of the time to maintain safety.

I have a significant risk, during altered stayed of consciousness of falling, moving into traffic and otherwise hurting myself.

Descriptors:
    Cannot cope with any change, due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder, to the extent that day to day life cannot be managed.

I am so dissociated at stages that I find it near impossible to adapt to changes in routine. Alongside OCD that stops me from completing daily tasks properly (obsessive cleanliness)
    Activity 13: Coping with social engagement, due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder

Descriptors:
    Engagement in social contact is always precluded due to difficulty relating to others or significant distress experienced by the individual.

I'm an not sure on this, I have such bad panic and anxiety that seeing anyone in a dissociated state is not ok.

Activity 14: Appropriateness of behaviour with other people, due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder

Descriptor:
    Has, on a daily basis, uncontrollable episodes of aggressive or disinhibited behaviour that would be unreasonable in any workplace.

I have violent outburst in public and will often shout or hit objects (never towards people).

What can I do? This couldn't have come at a worse possible time during the winter. I was barely supporting myself on the support rate.

Thanks
    A fit/sick note will not help you because you're already in a group.

Your next step will be to ask for a mandatory Reconsideration. You have 1 month from the date of the decision to ask for this. I would advice you to put your request in writing stating the reasons why you disagree with the decision and also pointing out the descriptors above that you think should get you into the Support Group again.

Please bear in mind that 80% of MR decisions remain the same so you'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal. Appearing in person at your Tribunal will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour. 65% of those who appear in person have a decision in their favour. Good luck.
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    Maybe you got no points and were put into WRAG on risk (reg 29)

You need Reg 35 risk for Support Group
  • epitome

Descriptors:

Why do you get altered states of conciousness? Is this documented?

Descriptors:

Have you got anything documented to show you cannot cope with any minor change?

Descriptors:

Descriptor:

On a daily basis? and is it documented?

Thanks
  • epitome wrote: »
    Why do you get altered states of conciousness? Is this documented?

I have patches of lost awareness and dissociate heavily due to derealization, I cannot concentrate even on simple words when it happens, my vision is distorted and I become very unstable. I have a letter from the Brighton and Hove wellbeing service stating I was to start being treated for the symptoms I mentioned and also chronic insomnia. They could only treat the anxiety root, but I will have it in a couple of days. I only had two sessions and had to stop but I also mentioned this to the previous therapist I saw, with which I had full 8 sessions.
    epitome wrote: »
    Have you got anything documented to show you cannot cope with any minor change?

How would I document this?
    epitome wrote: »
    On a daily basis? and is it documented?

Yes on a daily basis, I have never been arrested for it, but you don't usually for minor shouting. I have patches where i feel so unaware of what is going on around me I fail to move, on an escalator for example.
  • poppy12345 wrote: »
    A fit/sick note will not help you because you're already in a group.

Your next step will be to ask for a mandatory Reconsideration. You have 1 month from the date of the decision to ask for this. I would advice you to put your request in writing stating the reasons why you disagree with the decision and also pointing out the descriptors above that you think should get you into the Support Group again.

Please bear in mind that 80% of MR decisions remain the same so you'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal. Appearing in person at your Tribunal will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour. 65% of those who appear in person have a decision in their favour. Good luck.

This is very upsetting to hear. I was in the support group before for 2 years with much lesser symptoms.

I have arranged a local citizens advice beuro meeting and we are going to write the letter together. I have very little evidence when I went to atos and I have requested a form from the Brighton and hove well being service stating that I was being treated for dissociative symptoms and insomnia, which wasn't given to atos. I also have doctors backing me with letters and notes from the system which they also didn't have. Since i was in the support group previously and now my symptoms are much greater, do you think I have more than an 80% chance.

What is a tribunal and shall I try and seek a support worker to come with me if it gets to that stage? What else can I do to help my cause?
    Maybe you got no points and were put into WRAG on risk (reg 29)

You need Reg 35 risk for Support Group

What does this entail? What information do you have of this. I saw reg 35 form someone posted here from but my surgery say they only give sick notes.
  • epitome
    Essentially Reg 29 (what you got) is
    having to look for work (eg JSA) would make your health worsen.
    But you can do WRAG work related activity on ESA.

Reg 35 is
    Having to do work related activity on ESA would make your health worsen. (or would put others at risk)
    Essentially Reg 29 (what you got) is
    having to look for work (eg JSA) would make your health worsen.
    But you can do WRAG work related activity on ESA.

Reg 35 is
    Having to do work related activity on ESA would make your health worsen. (or would put others at risk)

This is !!!!ing insane frankly. I was a trembling mess as the Atos interview and suicide is far closer to me than anything else. There is no way that i can attend work related activities in the condition that I am in. It really makes me sick to know that they think that is the stage i am at is anywhere near work. I have had the flu for about 3 years, insomnia so bad I could barely walk straight and derealization that is on par with severe. psychosis.

I need to be within reg 35, i'm not trying to be rude, but there are people I know who receive support group allowance who have not even come close to the suffering i have endured.

How would I go about making sure I am put in the Reg 35 group,is it just based on those descriptors or could I get a Gp to sign a form?
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    This is !!!!ing insane frankly. I was a trembling mess as the Atos interview and suicide is far closer to me than anything else. There is no way that i can attend work related activities in the condition that I am in. It really makes me sick to know that they think that is the stage i am at is anywhere near work. I have had the flu for about 3 years, insomnia so bad I could barely walk straight and derealization that is on par with severe. psychosis.

I need to be within reg 35, i'm not trying to be rude, but there are people I know who receive support group allowance who have not even come close to the suffering i have endured.

How would I go about making sure I am put in the Reg 35 group,is it just based on those descriptors or could I get a Gp to sign a form?

It has to be done within the framework of ESA. There's no form for your GP to sign but a letter from them explaining your problems and how they affect you such as to make it suitable for you to be awarded Support Group ESA under reg 35 would help.

The first step is to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration of the decision to move you out of the support group. You have four weeks to do this, ideally by writing to them. In the letter you need to refer to the ESA descriptors as to why you think you should be in the support group. Don't expect this to be successful, most MRs just agree with the original decision.

At this time of year you need to be especially careful around the dates because of bank holidays.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    What do you mean when you say your doctors won't write a letter? Your GP or Consultant should be willing to write a detailed medical report for a small fee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure