Housing Benefit

Options
Hi, my girlfriend is pregnant and i'm currently working 30hrs a week picking up around 185 a week (minimum wage) shes currently living in a 2 up, 2 down terraced house with her brother mother and dad as you can imagine space is at a minimal and she requires a house with 2 rooms 1 for the baby and 1 for her!

i have told her too apply on the housing list, which she can when she's 20weeks, i'm just wondering if i live there even earning so little what kind of rent i would have to pay the council!? would i get reductions because of my low income or would i have to pay full council rent because i'm working?

any help would be much appreciated! thank you!

Comments

• paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 29 August 2012 at 9:33AM
    Options
    Why would she need 2 rooms? the baby can easily fit in the same room as her, I would think even a 1 bed place would be a luxury to her after being crammed into a 2 bedder with 3 others.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Benefits such as tax credits and housing benefit will be based on the household income.
    Do you know what the waiting list is like for your council, many people wait many years on accommodation. If she is being made homeless she may get a B&B or hostel as temp accommodation. Have you looked at private rentals?
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hello Jimdadbob

The rules regarding Housing Benefit entitlement are changing next year and the accommodation has to be suitable for the person claiming. The issue of the number of bedrooms is one which other posters have already touched on. Your girlfriend would need to check with the local authority about what the guidelines are relating to the local housing allowance but it is likely that they will say that she only needs a one bed roomed property. She can rent one bigger but will get benefit based on her needs not the cost of the rent. This means that she could be finding additional rent from her income.

Once you have found out what the local housing allowance is likely to be with you moving in or not then you can follow this link http://www.turn2us.org.uk/benefits_search.aspx and you will be able to put the different calculations in the system to see how the different scenarios will affect your income and benefits
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure