Scared to move to smaller company!

allthe7s
allthe7s Posts: 187 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi everyone

I have just had a letter saying that my electricity DD needs to go up by £24 a month.

I am currently on standard tariff with British Gas

I have looked at the :money: price comparison and can save around £300 a year, however I'm really worried about changing to a lesser know utilities company.

Do I just need to bite the bullet and do it? Or is anything bad likely to happen ie power cuts or bills going wrong.

I've only ever been with BG, Npower or Southern Electric.

TIA
Preparing to go bankrupt April 2020

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think you're going to have to change to a smaller company. All the big 6 prices are outrageous. I just changed to Economy Energy. So far so good.

I wonder if the big 6 are colluding to put up average prices, so they are not so badly hit when this price cap comes along?
  • Spidernick
    Spidernick Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The source of your gas and electricity remains unchanged, so I cannot see the problem. I am currently with the second of two small suppliers and have had no problems whatsoever.

The big companies have been taking the pee for years and don't deserve your loyalty.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why not see if BG has a better tarrif,

Also have a look at EDF. I have no problem with them ang gar a good deal
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Firstly, you're not going to be cut off.

To ensure you get accurate bills submit regular readings to the company, which ever one you choose to stay/go with.

No-one can force you to change providers, my Dad doesn't like smaller companies either so I understand where your coming from.

Get the best tariff you can with a company you are comfortable with - if that's BG that's your choice.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 26 May 2018 at 8:10AM
    allthe7s wrote: »
    I have looked at the :money: price comparison and can save around £300 a year, however I'm really worried about changing to a lesser know utilities company.

Do I just need to bite the bullet and do it? Or is anything bad likely to happen ie power cuts or bills going wrong.
    Which lesser known company? Check their feedback.

You won't be cut off. Billing errors and customer service problems can happen with any company. Some smaller companies are better that larger ones.

View the £300 saving as a down payment against potential problems.

I've been with EDF, who insisted on overpayment then underpayment of DDs and had deceptive bills. Ebico who were faultless. Zog who are faultless and Iresa who have been mildly problematic but bearable as the amounts have been small.
  • Shavuot
    Shavuot Posts: 125 Forumite
    allthe7s wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I have just had a letter saying that my electricity DD needs to go up by £24 a month.

I am currently on standard tariff with British Gas

I've only ever been with BG, Npower or Southern Electric.

TIA

Then don't switch to a smaller company. :cool:

The CEC allows you to filter results to only show 'Big Name Suppliers' or even 'My Current Supplier'

I'm sure there is something there cheaper than British Gas Standard Tariff.

Some posters on this site suggest BG customers who do not wish to move supplier look at Sainsburys Energy, as they are a BG white label, but are said to offer lower prices than BG.
  • Blackdog
    Blackdog Posts: 459 Forumite
    £300 a year is well worth switching for. Yes some small companies have poor customer service but just check the reviews. I have switched to Tonik and have had no problems. Don't forget it is the same gas and electricity using the same pipes and cables, it's just the company that are collecting your direct debits and sending you bills that will change. Many thousands of people have switched to smaller companies, why not join them and save £3k over the next ten years!
  • soaround
    soaround Posts: 12 Forumite
    I don't know anyone is on a standard tariff these days, but since I am having a nightmare since switching to Tonik Energy I can understand why you would be wary of smaller companies.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    There are many excellent small suppliers out there. From experience, Zog; Bulb and Octopus offer excellent customer service; good communications and excellent billing. Before you make any choices, you should do a full market comparison based on kWhs used per year not £s.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I switch every year and have used a few small suppliers, just finished with Affect Energy and switched to Outfox the market. Have been switching every year since 2006 and never had an issue. Do it every June from a nice bar by the harbour whilst on holiday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure