leonardo
leonardo Posts: 72 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 21 May 2018 at 6:12PM in Broadband & internet access
Hi all,

Six days ago, signed up to Plusnet:

Utl BB (adsl) + Line = £10.24pm x 12m

Sky letter (£11 for last 13m - same adsl) - today:

"We're sorry you're leaving us. As a valued customer we may be able to offer you a discount on your subscription if you'd like to stay with Sky" .

Asking fellow MSE members for guidance:

Some existing Fibre customers negotiated 'Ult Basic Fibre + Line' for £18pm (retention).

Is there any way/approach for me (adsl), to negotiate a retention offer (Sky or Plusnet) - but for Fibre instead?

My genuine thanks, to anyone willing to contribute & explore this challenge,

leonadro DV
SKY Plusnet Fibre Fiber Broadband BB Line rental ADSL

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ask them. Plusnet you can usually upgrade once you're with them. Fibre is considered an upgrade from ADSL because its effectively a different technology and a different package, and hence a different price.

And the "we may be able to offer you a discount" thing is probably what you should have asked for before you signed up to Plusnet and those emails are standard when somebody's leaving.
  • leonardo
    edited 21 May 2018 at 6:38PM
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Ask them. Plusnet you can usually upgrade once you're with them. Fibre is considered an upgrade from ADSL because its effectively a different technology and a different package, and hence a different price.

And the "we may be able to offer you a discount" thing is probably what you should have asked for before you signed up to Plusnet and those emails are standard when somebody's leaving.

Appreciate your response.

Once signed up, I learned that migrating after any 12m/18m Plusnet contract (to SKY, Talktalk, Virgin etc) = £30 extra charge.

Still within my 14 day cooling off period.

Reversing - 'might' just trigger a retention offer by Plusnet.

I'm asking for guidance/suggestions on the best approach to take.

LDV
  • leonardo
    Looking for some suggestions,

Hoping to get a SKY Fibre retention deal, on my current ADSL contract.

I'm still within my 14 day cooling off period (on the 15th put in for a migration to plusnet).

I'm asking for ideas/thoughts on whether this can be done?

(We've have a bad experience with SKY for two years in a row).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 May 2018 at 7:24AM
    "We've have a bad experience with SKY for two years in a row", so why bother?

When I left Sky ADSL for NowTV 3 or 4 weeks back the best they'd do for fibre at the time was £30 (the PN offer was £20). I told them I wasn't interested in follow up calls but when I called them about another matter they did offer it at £23. I'd already started the switch so turned it down anyway.
  • leonardo
    Because plusnet has a cessation charge - if after your 12 months are over & you migrate to another provider - that does not use Openreach infrastructure - you are charged £30.

I was told that this wouldn't apply to me - but when I double checked - it does - so it was mis-sold from the get go.

The bad experience with sky was billing issues - which I can sort from the get go this time.

Still seeking ideas/suggestions for getting a Fibre retention deal from sky, whilst still in my 14 day cooling off transfer to Plusnet (Adsl to Adsl).
  • Scrounger
    Scrounger Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    leonardo wrote: »
    Looking for some suggestions,

Hoping to get a SKY Fibre retention deal, on my current ADSL contract.

I'm still within my 14 day cooling off period (on the 15th put in for a migration to plusnet).
    I was in the same position (Sky £9.50/month deal ending on 6 June, new Plusnet £10.24 deal starting 7 June both ADSL).

I had to call Sky yesterday about some early redemption nonsense and Sky retentions offered £10/month for 12m (8.99 Talk + £1.01 BB) which I accepted.

When I called Plusnet to cancel the switch they instantly offered a further £50 discount!

I love it! :rotfl:

Scrounger
  • leonardo
    Hi Scrounger,

Pm sent - hope you can help.

leonardo
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    leonardo wrote: »
    Because plusnet has a cessation charge - if after your 12 months are over & you migrate to another provider - that does not use Openreach infrastructure - you are charged £30.

But as that (for most of the country anyway) only means Virgin, it shouldn't stop you from switching to Plusnet if you intend to keep a fixed line.
  • Scrounger
    Scrounger Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Leonardo, just to reiterate: if you're trying to get a fibre deal for £10/month then you're on a hiding to nothing IMO.

A killer retention deal PLUS an upgrade are, in most cases, mutually exclusive.

Scrounger
  • leonardo
    Scrounger - thank you for getting back to me.

Much appreciated!

leonardo
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family