The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.
We've made some changed to Competitions Time. Please see this thread.

Ever had to (reluctantly) refuse/pass a prize?

Comments

• hamsterfan1
    hamsterfan1 Posts: 8,280
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    won afternoon tea with Jackie Collins plus a signed copy of her latest book. I only wanted the runners up prize of a copy of the book. I live near Bristol and the tea was a couple of days notice in London. I asked them to pass it on, didn't even get the book
    proud gran to 4 lovely boys and one little girl
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,608
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I entered to win tickets to what I though was a a national home exhibition. It turned out to be for a home-builder's exhibition. I apologised and asked them to redraw.

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • Daphne01
    Daphne01 Posts: 22,145
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I won a holiday to Iceland including tickets to a festival but ill health meant I had to decline the prize. I let them know in good time so that they could re-allocate it to someone else.

I've always wanted to see the Northern Lights so it was a huge blow
    A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others.

• I won tickets to the opening night of an event. T&Cs stressed repeatedly that it was for opening night only, no alternative was possible and to insure if you entered that you were available on that date (which at the time of entering I was). I emailed them about a week before the event (and about a week after I had been notified of the win) to apologise and ask them to redraw, due to a family funeral on opening night. To my surprise, they emailed back to say they would not redraw and they would be happy to offer me tickets to any other date of my choice, which I thought was very good of them :)

Another time, I was offered tickets at 11am for an event at 7pm the same day. It was about a 2 hour drive, but I couldn!!!8217;t drop everything to go, so had to decline. They emailed me, so it was lucky I saw the email and replied within an hour (and therefore before the event started) or the tickets would have gone to waste. Although they may still have done, if they weren!!!8217;t able to find someone else last minute. The closing date was over a week beforehand, so I assume I wasn!!!8217;t the first person they emailed. A shame, because had they emailed a week or few days before then I could have made it.
  • rceebear
    rceebear Posts: 2,259
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I had to decline festival tickets as they were for that weekend and it was only a few days away. I was unable to take the time off work. Was such a shame. They did redraw though. Another time I also won Isle of Wight festival tickets and couldn't go at the last minute. I was able to pass them on to someone to help celebrate finishing their exams so was really pleased with that.
    Best wins - GoPro, £2K, Brittany week, festival tix, Bath break, Sweden spa break, iPhone x2, £250 Amazon x2, tech bundle, 55" TV, Haven break, £1K, Smeg mixer, 3 night spa break, Greenhouse, posh tent, house plants, 2 pairs boots, posh mattress, year tailored supplements, £250 lingerie
  • Jontpriest
    Jontpriest Posts: 35
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I won festival tickets to a festival in Liverpool, but couldn't get childcare, so had to decline
  • rceebear
    rceebear Posts: 2,259
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I've just found out I've won a weeks self catering in France but it has to be taken by the end of next month. The competition ended middle of last month but I've only just been notified and am currently waiting to hear about the next steps. I'm not sure we'll be able to get time off work and make arrangements plus afford the other expenses at the moment, such as, travel etc. I was very excited but feeling a bit low now. I'd really like to go as it is an area I have wanted to visit for a while as that is where my family originated from way way back plus it is near some fantastic historical sites.
    Best wins - GoPro, £2K, Brittany week, festival tix, Bath break, Sweden spa break, iPhone x2, £250 Amazon x2, tech bundle, 55" TV, Haven break, £1K, Smeg mixer, 3 night spa break, Greenhouse, posh tent, house plants, 2 pairs boots, posh mattress, year tailored supplements, £250 lingerie
  • pootler
    pootler Posts: 204
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I haven't ever refused a prize, but I DID win one that the organiser (maritalaffair.com) told me they'd had trouble giving away.

They had 150 entries and the first 8 or 9 people whose names they'd picked decided they didn't want to win a divorce from them after all. ;-)
  • GHolmesAdmin
    GHolmesAdmin Posts: 296
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Yep, a super king-size bed (the picture on the comp showed a double) which I would have had to rearrange my entire home to accommodate, I was the second 'winner' to turn it down, I have often wondered how many refused it before they found someone who didn't bother to get the tape measure out and what happened then...
  • topaz13
    topaz13 Posts: 155
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I had a phone call to say that I had won tickets to a red carpet premier in London - in two hours time!
    No way could I get all dolled up and travel over a hundred miles in two hours!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure