MSE News: Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year

Comments

• SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ashen wrote: »
    Been told when trying to book an appointment that you can switch online if logging in via PIN Sentry. I'm not in a position to check that right now though.

Couldn't find an option to switch online, but Barclays online account is poor and difficult to find things. If anyone has managed to find away of doing this online please let me know.
  • youngretired
    youngretired Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I made my appointment online via live chat, took less then 5 minutes.
  • keiran
    keiran Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    My most recent contact with the switch team at Barclays now has differing information, which MSErs may want to take account of.

He said that the other bank account to be switched into an existing Barclays Blue Rewards account has to have two direct debits paying out monthly in order to show that it is a primary, or active bank account that is being switched and not a dormant one. (One's existing direct debits within the Blue Rewards account are irrelevant)

He said that the switch team were clear on this internally, but he said, unprompted, that the Barclays website terms were not that clear, and then he even mentioned the MSE article as not being that clear!. He said he would email seniors about this
  • Markyboy112
    Markyboy112 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The link on the switching offer page only redirects you to the page if you were a new customer, no sign of how to start the switch if you are an existing customer.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    keiran wrote: »
    My most recent contact with the switch team at Barclays now has differing information, which MSErs may want to take account of.

He said that the other bank account to be switched into an existing Barclays Blue Rewards account has to have two direct debits paying out monthly in order to show that it is a primary, or active bank account that is being switched and not a dormant one. (One's existing direct debits within the Blue Rewards account are irrelevant)

He said that the switch team were clear on this internally, but he said, unprompted, that the Barclays website terms were not that clear, and then he even mentioned the MSE article as not being that clear!. He said he would email seniors about this

It is their own problem if their terms are not clear.

They will get a lot of complaints if they dont pay the bonus on account of what they understand internally but do not communicate to customers.
  • binaryuniverse
    binaryuniverse Posts: 906 Forumite
    keiran wrote: »

I saw nothing about transferring direct debits on the site, or T&Cs, so I'll kick up a stink about that, if it comes to it (I know to set up 2 DDs after switch for Rewards).

The visit to the branch was fairly painless. Didn't try to sell me anything extra. I printed off the attachments in the switch email I received, and filled in my new Barclays, and old, bank account details, which certainly made it easier finding my details (and is something that isn't explicitly mentioned in the email).
    Also took my old debit card, which was asked for.

I was in and out in less than 20 minutes. But it does seem odd I had to fill in paperwork for something I'd already done online.
  • bluehydrangeas
    bluehydrangeas Posts: 144 Forumite
    It appears so. Every account I've opened, in the last 14 months, has not required me to visit a branch in order to switch. Barclays, I set everything up online, and had my ID verified, but I still have to go in. Fortunately, one is near my office, so I'll be heading down on my lunch.

Thanks for the info - was considering switching one of my accounts to Barclays, but if it needs a branch visit to open a new account, I'll give it a miss.
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Thanks for the info - was considering switching one of my accounts to Barclays, but if it needs a branch visit to open a new account, I'll give it a miss.

When I switched to Nationwide I had to go into branch with ID. Halifax I didn't though.
  • youngretired
    youngretired Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    My appointment went smoothly, straight forward switch paperwork completed and no selling. It would have been completed in 5 minutes though the personal banker double checked the switch offer to make sure he didn't have to reset the Blue rewards. He checked that I was already getting the Blue Rewards.

No mention of switching account having to have DD, though I'm switching my Nationwide which isn't dormant as has standing orders on.
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    There is a separate offer for Barclays customers who don't have an account to switch and turn on Blue Rewards for the first time in May to get double rewards for May only.

https://www.barclays.co.uk/current-accounts/blue-rewards/#double-rewards-may
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills