PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Finally got back into the bathroom cupboard which I have been threatening to tackle for a couple of weeks........Some fitted sheets and single duvet sets to CS .Going to try and sell some Laura Ashley curtains on FB. Couple of mattress covers on fr**gle for pet bedding. Also tackled the meds tool box - we have a plastic fold out tool box that we keep mainly OTC meds in cold remedy etc. Looks like we have had a mouse in it feasting on painkillers:eek: All old meds going to pharmacy for safe disposal. Cleaned out box and now lid closes properly :D

DD2 is currently 'having a good sort out' in her room. OH has head in sand:o Our Justin has lots of computer bits and pieces and sports equipment which are possibly classed as vintage and Andy often brings home things because it was a bargain...........is it a coincidence that both these characters are male?
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 August 2016 at 12:52PM
    I love the idea of Justin being a gamblin' man. He has many guises. In my home, he's a skilled DIY-er who also does several textile crafts. A veritable polymath. :rotfl:

I had to look up polymath. :o

Then I looked up monomath (it's just the way I am with new discoveries.)

So two new words for me there, very educational this Kondo lark, innit. :D

DD has kondoed a double mattress as for some reason the old wasn't taken when the new one came. So far, on its way out, the old one has formed a slide down the stairs for the kids, and then become a wonderful outdoor base for all sorts of gymnastics and general freefalling activity. So one adult and two kids have had at least 90 solid minutes of pure joy out of it. Sounds much more fun than my kondoing, I must say!
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Well, you know how sometimes you wake up with a notion that seems to have percolated through your brain while it was doing its own thing overnight? This morning my brain relayed the overnight LBM (thank goodness the light didn't wake me :rotfl:!) and it related to my scarf stash.

Thanks to Mavvy I now have a decision about scarves! It will be a two-pronged attack.
    1) store the bulky scarves used for winter warmth kondo-folded (I realised this works really well in the smallish drawers I have because rolling seems to bulk them up).
    2) release the 'decorative' scarves so they can find a new home and look lovely on someone else. That someone will be better able to wear them elgantly and will probably, if you'll excuse me saying it, have a smaller bust than I do! I am just not built to carry off decorative neck adornments of this sort :rotfl:

So thanks Mavvy, you've helped me out with this Konundrum (did you see what I did there?). :beer::beer:

Glad to be able to help out :D But you have also helped me I am also big busted so maybe thats why I hate them. I have a friend who is also in the same gang as you and I who always wears them and I always think to myself they do nothing for her at all:o Almost making her look far older than she is and also bigger :D and frumpy which is worse in my eyes.
    As she is the one moving near me I will tell her NOT to bring any with her and do herself a favour and kondo the bl**dy lot of the horrible things ;)

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Green Bitterfly, isn't it funny how good it feels, even though only you know the ĺoft is lighter?!

Yep, Mavvy, scarves can be ageing. Round here they form part of the over70's uniform! Mine are bagged up, ready for releasing (the scarves, not the pensioners!).

Cover me, I'm going back in :D
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    mavvymoo wrote: »
    Glad to be able to help out :D But you have also helped me I am also big busted so maybe thats why I hate them. I have a friend who is also in the same gang as you and I who always wears them and I always think to myself they do nothing for her at all:o Almost making her look far older than she is and also bigger :D and frumpy which is worse in my eyes.
    As she is the one moving near me I will tell her NOT to bring any with her and do herself a favour and kondo the bl**dy lot of the horrible things ;)

Mav x

I am not in that gang.

I rock a scarf..... ::rotfl:
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    I agree VJsmum loads of women do. But some really dont and I am one of those people :rotfl:I know if I wore a scarf not a winter wooly one but a floaty type thingy or even something along those lines :D I would just look terrible.I dont rock a scarf in anyway shape or form.

But I do rock in Red Boots or anything Orange including leggings or a Orange leather jacket :rotfl:

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 28 August 2016 at 4:29PM
    Fen1 wrote: »
    I'm trying to find the joke about Quetzalcoatl on the original (?) Kondo thread. I think it was one of GQ's.

I should have made a link to it as the mass of coats problem resonates with a fair few people I know.
    :o Wasn't me but I vaguely recall seeing it and thinking it was a clever pun.

I can rock a scarf, being very tall, a bit flat-chested and long-necked. OK, I admit it, I'm actually a giraffe. But I hate things hanging off me, and don't own a single scarf, not even a winter one.

:D Darlings, I am sitting down for the first point today whilst waiting for a floor to dry. Kondo-mania here. In terms of volume, not a humungous amount of Stuff hiffed out, but it was very complicated.

Firstly, Mum and I went into the Workshop Shed, the big 10 x 12 foot one which I started decluttering earlier in the year. We got out the trestle legs and worktop and retrieved the circular saw from the Bedroom Cupboard of Doom (as was). Mum cut off the damaged ends off one of my chopping boards and then cut off one-third of the width of a shelf which was displaced last summer when the central heating was done.

This was a shelf in the broom cupboard, which is an awkward space opening in from the kitchen but with a sloping ceiling and three-quarter height door due to it being under the stairs. Contains gas and electrity meters, the Henry vacuum, bags of rags and Misc. And had lost its shelving when the gas piping had to be re-done when they switched from a back boiler (this cupboard backs onto the living room fireplace) and over to a combi boiler which is in the airing cupboard upstairs.

Anyway, short version is that the broom cupboard had not been properly re-created after the upheaval of summer 2015 and was wasting a lot of space.

I covered the old knackered 3rd hand plank which was the shelf with sticky-back plastic found the the same cupboard as the handles, balloons, TTT doll etc. Then Mum and I tore the Workshop apart looking for the masonry drill bits and for another shelf bracket and L shaped bracket (found eventually)

The shelf is now up. The Workshop has been substantially tidied and another half-wheelie full of marg tubs and coffee cans ejected. I swear they must breed in there. I also have two 25 kg paper spud sacks on the go, one for wood suitable for Uncle's woodburner, the other containing scrappy bits of metal and non-burnable wood such as ply and composite for the tip, when they go. The tip is on the opposite side of town so they like to make sure they have enough to make it worthwhile.

The Broom Cupboard has had the cleaning supplies lined up neatly on the shelf, including the jam-jar of old toothbrushes for cleaning important little places. I wore a couple of those out when scrubbing tile grout in the shower room in May (or possibly Easter, these Bank Holidays are a bit of a blur).:rotfl:

I can see Mum has been seduced by Mr M*scle, as there are various products in sexy trigger bottles, and the Fl@ash franchise is well-represented, too. There are a couple of Fairies and modest amounts of cream cleanser and other things.

I dragged these bottles out of the undersink cupboard, which is a hellish melange of cleanng products, laundry products and saucepans and cooling dishes. These items are not the best of bedfellows, frankly. I've left the laundry supplies under there as it's right by the washer and the Shelf is now full of cleaning stuff. But I can see tomorrow's gig must be to haul everything outta the undersink cupboard.

Something has leaked under there and dried fetchingly on the white melamine shelving and there are some mystery bottles and packets which need further investigation.

:j I will get this household organised, I will, I WILL.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Well done GQ! I have had a remarkably unproductive day today as I had to go to the supermarket to restock on painkillers (I woke at 4am with an incipient migraine and it took me ages to locate a couple of random pills to attempt to kill it off with). As I was there I did some other stuff. So far today I have therefore defrosted the freezer and unpacked the shopping. I now need to start turning the shopping into meals in the hope that this will solve my appalling eating habits.

I have just been for a quick walk to the bottle bank to dispose of some of the glass brought back from the family holiday a couple of weeks ago. I do this rather than take it in the car so that I have an excuse to drag myself out when i'm unmotivated.

I did quite a bit of clearing in the garden yesterday, and am in the process of working out how to repurpose the remaining bits of pallet to create a temporary fence between the garden and the sewage system. The previous one fell down about 2 years ago, but that corner of the garden has been so full of junk it really didn't matter. Now I have cleared it and the old panels have been turned into kindling I need to fence it again. Preferably without spending money. I may need to use a few bits of the old staircase too... (and actually, I should check the land registry docs to see whether it is my boundary or the sewage system's boundary - I suspect it is the latter in which case I can fence it properly and pass 5/6th of the costs on to the other users).
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Hi greenbee, sorry to hear about your poorly head; I get migraine too and had to take some paracetamol just after midday on Friday. Which reminds me, must restock my handbag as those were the last two in there.

Re the fence, one of my lottie neighbours made a rustic vaguely-picket style fence by levering the planks off pallets and nailing them to cross timbers. All repurposed, looked rather good, still up there two years later despite the site being prone to strong winds. Obviously, the bar is set lower for aesthetics on lotties than in gardens.;)

We've also ejected a mop from the broom cupboard - I must add it into the tip bag as it's got a metal handle. Plus, I have put some more nails and hools up inside the shed and got various things which were among the tangle of stuff on surfaces, chiefly saws, hung up on the walls. The Workshop has its walls insulated by wombled polystrene sheeting under wombled sheets of plywood, so you can do this in there.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Phew, GQ, you are on a roll.

I am very impressed by the idea of having a mother who can handle a circular saw, mine used to delegate all jobs that involved holding anything heavier than a duster... :D
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure