Returning Earrings

My daughter bought my wife a lovely pair of stud earrings a few days ago, but my wife didn't like them. The tab is still on them and they are still in the box.

Our daughter took them back to the shop (Argos) and they have refused to take them back. They say it is for hygenic reasons.

Is this lawful ?

My wife has returned earrings to other stores without problems.

thank you

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If your daughter purchased them in the shop, then no retailer has to accept returns if the goods are not faulty.

Most retailers, and Argos is one of them, do accept returns of some non-faulty goods within a short timescale, but make an exclusion for things like earrings.

So, in summary, it is lawful and Argos are right.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I don't think I would be happy with a used ear stud.
  • Hi,

from Argos:

We're sorry but some items like earrings, foot spas and dental products can't be exchanged or refunded for hygiene and safety reasons, unless they're faulty.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 22 November 2012 at 4:31PM
    They can't re-sell them, hence they won't accept returns.

Perhaps your wife should be more gracious with gifts??

(And also, be grateful that due to the policy, the pair that your daughter so kindly bought her are at least guaranteed to be brand new!)
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 21 November 2012 at 7:21PM
    I don't think it's unusual - most stores I've bought earrings from have the "no return"s policy. When I queried it at a high street jeweller they said it was because they'd have to return them to be sterilised and it wasn't cost effective.
    I personally think it's a bit of an over-reaction, but if the goods aren't faulty then it is up to the store to decide their own policy.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    I think it is fair enough. It's been that way for years and years with certain items.
  • WLM21
    WLM21 Posts: 1,489
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you for all the relies
  • gregg1
    gregg1 Posts: 3,148
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    WLM21 wrote: »
    My daughter bought my wife a lovely pair of stud earrings a few days ago, but my wife didn't like them. The tab is still on them and they are still in the box.

Our daughter took them back to the shop (Argos) and they have refused to take them back. They say it is for hygenic reasons.

Is this lawful ?

My wife has returned earrings to other stores without problems.

thank you

We like anything our kids buy us even if we don't!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure