Motability Car - no claims bonus

I'm writing in relation to a friend of mine who has lost his no claims bonus as a result of driving a motability car. He previously owned a car until 2016 and had car insurance under his own name and had more than 4 years no claims bonus. In 2016 his mother became very unwell and she was given a motability car. He was the named and only driver of the car, his mother being unable to drive due to her medical condition. She died recently and the car was returned.

He purchased a new car and insurance policy recently and included the info that he had 4 years no claims bonus. The insurance policy was canceled after a month by the insurers who said that because he had been driving the motability car for the two years he had lost his no claims bonus. He contacted the motability people who said that they couldn't give out information regarding his driving history to the insurers. Now he cannot afford insurance as he is classed as having no no claims bonus and the quotes are extremely high. It seems very unfair that he should be penalized for the two years he spent driving a motability car to assist his mother. I am just wondering if anyone has come across this situation before? and whether there is anything he can do about it? Many thanks!

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    The situation is the norm

most insurers won't accept NCD more than 2 years old, and you don't get NCD via motability

One insurer to try is co-op who will take NCD up to 3 years old
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    It's just something you accept when taking up a Motability car - you weigh up the loss of any NCD you were holding, against the fact that you are getting an inexpensive lease with insurance included.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Blondetotty
    Blondetotty Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I used to work for the insurance arm of the Motability scheme years ago and as far as I'm aware the rules of use haven't changed much. The motability car should only be used for the benefit of the disabled customer to whom it has been leased. This doesn't mean that they have to be in the car for every journey but the use of the car means they should be benefitting, so if the driver is running to the shops to pick up some shopping for themselves and their mum that's fine but using the car to go meet their own friends, or out for a coffee, or out for the day for themselves then technically it goes against the T&C's for use. I would therefore assume if they needed their own car previously then they would still need their own car during the time of the motability lease for their mum....there again I have no doubt that the terms are not being stuck to by many named drivers but you've got to accept those are the rules that they both agreed to when they took the lease of the car so no, in my opinion it's not unfair. They were not entitled to their own NCD.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The insurance policy was canceled after a month by the insurers

This could be a bigger problem with getting insurance than the NCD issue.

I would try everything to get that cancellation removed. It has to be declared forever and premiums will be significantly higher.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure