Car insurance successes stories

Comments

• So I got my Premium Insurance Renewal price from Admiral, £200 increase, from £787.31 last year to £976.99! I went to various comparison sites and all of them quoted me even more than what they offered me for renewing with them. I went to Direct Line and got quoted £790 for a telematics insurance, so I called Admiral and went with them with the price. Guess what? They lowered my price to match Direct Line's, customer service even helped me changing my occupation and a couple more of details in order to get that price!

Do haggle, it only takes 10 minutes and you can save a lot of money!
    Nationwide Mortgage (FTB & 85% LTV)

Timeline:
    Application submitted 8/10
    Valuation scheduled on 10/10 for 19/10
    Valuation re-scheduled on 19/10 for 26/10
    Hard Credit Check (Credit Karma) 21/10
    Valuation 26/10
    Valuation approved 26/10
    Mortgage offer issued 27/10
  • I used Moneysupermarket to identify best prices for insurance renewal. I clicked through to three providers and made my selection of the different options they offered to see the prices in more detail. In each case I got a good quote, under which it said " Your quote is valid until: 23/09/2017".

Next step--you're asked to check personal and vehicle details. This included inputting phone numbers. Then had to recalculate.

And the price went UP!. By about £15. Same thing happened for each of the three providers.

When I phoned to ask why giving them my phone number added to the premium, they had no intelligible answer. M&S and Lloyds refused to believe that I hadn't changed anything else and would not honour the quote which was supposely "valid until: 23/09/2017". After discussion, Halifax did--many thanks to the young man in the call centre!

Is this a scam? I imagine many people won't spot that the price changes just for inputting your phone number.
  • Used moneysupermarket.com to check cheap quotes, used Churchill to save £523 on my annual renewal, happy days 😀
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    got our renewal for our car insurance and they put it up from £330 last year to £490 this year :eek::eek::eek: checked online got it down to £340 through compare the meerkat

popped over to direct line and got my car insurance for £291 :T:T:T saving nearly £200 compared to our current insurer :money:

Paid in full so saving on interest as well

Can I get a badge pretty please MSE Badger :D
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
  • Robots
    Robots Posts: 76
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler Wedding Day Wonder
    Forumite
    Couldn't believe my renewal from Kwik Fit as they had been the cheapest by almost half last year. They had slapped an extra £228 on my policy and announced the amazing 'deal' with a fanfare via letter.

Bye-bye Kwik Fit, hello Hastings Direct who have insured me fully comp with breakdown cover for less than the extra money KF wanted.

Would love a badge, lovely MSE Badger :D
    Veteran gamer and clean freak :kiss:
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,133
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    Renewal price £522.60 up from £388.84

New policy £338.81 plus £30.60 CB plus used my CC for a further 1% CB as well.
    Net cost £304.82 - which is even less than last years policy
    Total savings against my renewal quote £217.78

Would love a badge please MSE Badger ;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • onedaysomeday
    onedaysomeday Posts: 561
    Car Insurance Carver! Uniform Washer PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Used the car insurance guide, ended up adding an additional driver and telematics insurance to bring my first time driver insurance down at least £500 to a manageable amount as opposed to an amount that made me want to cry :)
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • Badge please MSE Badger ;)
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Posted on a different thread by mistake - meant to post on this one.

Just got the best deal since 2014 by the look of it (there was a claim showing until earlier this year)

Just renewed OH car insurance with SAGA through TOPCASHBACK - they are doing an extra £3 this weekend giving £34.50 back on a premium of £115.23. Net £80.73
  • elainemn
    elainemn Posts: 3,777
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    We were quoted nearly £700 for my car & OH vans insurance. Managed to get this to £410 between us going with Aviva multi-car. I have £50 Quido cash back tracking as well. Really pleased with this. Best ever :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback