Something to aim for

Comments

• michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Fingers crossed that the interview goes better this time, do you feel the practice helped?

Well done on the OP. :)
  • Dragonrider
    Dragonrider Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi michelle,

Thanks for stopping by. Practicing definitely helping with my confidence levels, although it's not a done deal and I know I'll be very nervous on the day and could mess up completely! Just got to keep going and cross my fingers.

Looks like you are doing well as well - a shorter commute is worth a lot, in my book!

Good luck with the last few weeks before you swap.

Dragonrider
  • Dragonrider
    April Update

Well, I had my interview on Tuesday, but won't find out until June.... :eek:

Am spending a morning without the kids to catch up on a load of jobs, including my April accounts. But I also did my 3rd ever Parkrun, as I am desperately trying to stick to my increased exercise and self-care regime. Just awaiting my time now - it actually felt easier than the last two times, so I hope I've managed to knock a few seconds off my time.

Anyway, my figures for April are:

Food 353.99/400
    Fuel 92.09/100
    Personal spending 116.15/150
    My travel 77.70/100
    Family spending 126.81/200

So my grand total is...... 766.74/950, meaning an OP of 183.27!!!

This has taken 1008.73 of the capital this month, and I remain just over target for the year - taking £1000 off the capital each month - see my signature below.

Very happy with progress, and am finding it easier and easier not to spend money on unnecessary things. It almost makes it more enjoyable to make a conscious decision to spend money on something really fun or really wanted, and I/we can savour it that much more.

Have a lovely weekend all, I'm off to see my granny!

Dragonrider
  • Dragonrider
    May Update

Just spent a lovely few days away with my eldest, who I felt needed some one-on-one time. She's definitely been hardest hit by the divorce, and gets quite anxious/angry at times. We had a great time, really relaxed, and ate far too much ice-cream! The money came out of my savings, so no effect on the monthly cashflow....

So, my figures for May are:

Food 409.55/400
    Fuel 60.51/100
    Personal spending 79.64/150
    My travel 73.00/100
    Family spending 144.48/150

Total is therefore 767.18/950, which I am very happy with!

Drum roll please.... OP is £182.82, which has taken £1035 from the capital this month, keeping me on target! I'm feeling good, and managing to sustain the spending controls - I get a little rush every month when it's pay day and I can top up all my accounts, though! I'm glad we get paid every month - any longer between pay-checks and I think I would probably give up!

In other news, I've had a nasty cough and my chest has felt really rattly, so my early morning exercises have fallen by the wayside. The plan is to re-start these on Monday, because I've proved to myself what a massive difference to my overall well-being and energy levels they make.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, hope it's sunny where you are!

Dragonrider
  • Dragonrider
    June Update.....

I got my promotion!!!! So relieved, and very happy. I start in a couple of weeks, so my first month's pay-check in the new job will be August. I'm pretty nervous about the new role, but at the same time excited to be moving on to more challenging work and to have more responsibility.

It feels like it's been quite a spendy month, with a family wedding as well as some one-off spends for me - here are the figures:

Food 435.85/400 (this included a big bulk-buy of cat food and litter)
    Fuel 15.00/100
    Personal spending 218.41/200
    My travel 79.70/100
    Family spending 103.73/150

So the grand total is 852.69 / 950, which doesn't look so good. However, I was paid back a bit of money that was owed to me, and also managed to top up a bit from bills, so my final OP this month was !!!8230;!!!8230;. 210.57. Whoop whoop! Hit my £200 target!

I also have a reasonably big monthly payment stopping soon (my parents lent me money to buy a car, and I have been paying them back in monthly instalments), so should be able to regularly up my OP to nearer £400.

I'm felling really pleased about this - I initially wanted to get under £300k by the end of the 5 year fix, but my projections show that I should smash this if I keep going the way I am going.

So roll on decreased outgoings, a bigger salary, and smaller childcare costs from September (when my youngest starts Reception). I can do this!

Enjoy the heatwave!

Dragonrider
  • Dragonrider
    July Update

Evening all,

It's been a busy month - new job, end of school for the kids, a week camping..... and soooo hot! I'm never happy - don't like it too hot nor too cold.

Because of the holidays and a birthday, it's been quite a spendy month, but I have managed to make a good OP, so am happy with that. The figures are:

Food 377.68/400
    Fuel 103.18/100
    Personal spending 117.92/200
    My travel 101.20/100
    Family spending 174.92/150

So grand total please...!!!8230; £874.90/£950, which gives me an OP of £75.10 from my monthly budget.

As mentioned in my last post, I also now have extra money to play with due to a loan repayment stopping, so total OP this month is £275.10!!

Really happy with how things are ticking down, as my spreadsheet of projections shows that I should be able to pass an affordability test at the end of this 5 year fix to take over the mortgage on my own, which I am very grateful for. One less chain to connect me to my ex, when that happens!

I run my finances by the academic year, as September is when my outgoings are most susceptible to change. So nearly time to tweak the budget for next year, and work out what a realistic monthly OP will be.

And on to a new week!

Dragonrider
  • August Update

A bit late this month, lots to do with the kids going back to school! It's an expensive month, what with buying uniform that they've grown out of and paying upfront for a term's worth of clubs!

So, my figures for August, which felt like a spendy month because the kids were at home all the time, was:

Food 367.39/400
    Fuel 60.38/100
    Personal spending 138.35/200
    My travel 63.50/100
    Family spending 204.84/150

So, as expected, I overspent on family spending. But, this was compensated by underspends elsewhere, so overall my savings were 834.46/950 = 115.54, plus some from no longer paying my car loan (the rest went on a trip to IKEA....) gives me a grand total of an OP of £299.29!!! Whoop whoop!

That's my final OP for this academic year (which is how I run my finances as childcare costs/clubs etc tend to change in September), which gives me an OP total for the year of £2,643.26 which has brought my capital down by £12,681.46, beating my target of £12,000!!!

I'm so happy about this, as I thought that I was setting myself an unrealistic target at the beginning of the year. Managing not to spend has been really motivating, and the extra plus has been finding some good, fun things to do with the kids. More imagination required but much more enjoyable.

I'm still waiting for a "normal" payslip with my new promoted salary, and for a revised tax credit amount so that I can set my budget for next year. I am still aiming to reduce my capital by £1000 per month, so the budget will have to be set around that goal.

Onwards and downwards!!

Dragonrider
  • julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi Dragonrider,
    I've only just managed to read your diary. Congratulations on hitting your goals, and also (belatedly) on your promotion! I love all those updates, it's great to see how your spending changes each month, but how you're still staying under your overall limit :)
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • Another belated congrats on your promotion, well done! I've just had a read through your diary and I think you're doing really well in what could have been a challenging situation. (i'm sure it is very challenging, but you've really tackled it all head on)
  • zcrat41
    zcrat41 Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wow well done what an amazing year!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business