Nervous new diarist with not one but two mortgages to clear!

Comments

• JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A little update:
    £206 raised via eBay and put in savings account ready to make next year's £3600 overpayment.

But big news is my boat has sold. Contracts etc not done yet but the buyer has paid a deposit. Hope it goes through as that will obliterate one mortgage completely.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,669
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Fingers crossed that sale progresses smoothly x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • JennyP
    Forumite
    Thanks, Greent. It's so nerve wracking.
    Because my boat is fairly new, they don't want a survey and the broker says the cash is in place so I can't see why it wouldn't. I hate waiting though.
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Great news about the deposit on the boat- fingers crossed for you that it all runs smoothly :)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Runders
    Runders Posts: 292
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hey JennyP, that's fab news re the boat. I have everything crossed that it all goes smoothly for you!
    MFW Start:[STRIKE] Sep 2014 - £110,844[/STRIKE], July 2019 New Home £190,995 :eek:
    Current: £82,999.69, £190,972.18, £188,091.57, £180,026.25
    2021MFW #97 OP Goal £296.36/£3000
    2020MFW #97 OP Goal £3104.09.09/£3000
    2019MFW #109 OP Goal £1024.99/£1000
  • JennyP
    Forumite
    Thank you Funders, Greent and Kittenkirst.

It went very smoothly and I just checked online banking and the money is there. I can pay off one of the mortgages on 1st August, the day after my fixed rate ends.

There'll be enough left over to give my little sister a few thousand to help her start a business, which seems like a fair thing to do as mum and dad (dad sadly no longer with us) helped me buy the boat so it seems like passing it on.

No eBay sales this week. I have shoes for sale on both eBay and amazon but no sign of them selling.

But hubby is opening a Nationwide account with my referrers link so I should get £100 from that. We're going to take his id in to the branch today.
  • JennyP
    Forumite
    Actually I did have one ebay sale for £15 - the email hadn't come through. Lucky I checked or I'd have had an unhappy buyer.

I don't have anything worth much now to sell apart from a piccolo which I played as a teenager. But I think I want to keep it for sentimental value. Shame no-one really buys clothes unless they're the trendy sort that I don't own. Love ebaying. It's a thrill getting a sale!

The Nationwide cashback thing backfired spectacularly. Husband took his ID in to the branch. It was chaos in there. Massive queue for normal cashiers. A woman on the helpdesk helping a man log into online banking which seemed to be taking forever. And then a man put a cash deposit in the machine and it swallowed it, spat out £20 and refused to give him a receipt. They looked at hubby's ID and told us to go and sit and wait on some chairs. They then opened the faulty cash machine and locked down the bank.

I had a loud moan about how long we were waiting and a staff member finally came over and said they were suspicious of hubby's name and ID and it could be fraudulent and we had to make an appointment that would take 40 minutes to open the account. We declined to do that and I was a bit moany at them about how long we'd already been kept waiting. When we got home there was a letter from NW saying they had put some sort of flag against hubby's name for fraudulent use. It had been forwarded by Royal Mail forwarding from his old address. All that has happened is that he has moved house. We're not sure why it has caused confusion and now we have to work out if his credit record is affected :( All because we tried to get the £100 cashback each for the referral. It wasn't worth it.

It's been a very expensive day today. I have to go to London twice in June: once for a hospital appointment and once to give a talk that I rashly agreed to do. I don't feel right accepting payment for the talk as I agreed to do it free. But we've had to book hotels for two nights (got cheap Travelodge and 10% back via Topcashback) and then we thought we might as well see an opera in Regent's Park as a treat whilst we're there but that cost £70 for two tickets with a restricted view! But you've got to live a bit haven't you? Can't all be moneysaving!
  • FloppyDisk
    FloppyDisk Posts: 864
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Blimey what a palava! On the plus side I had a similar issues with opening an account with them and got £100 in compensation so perhaps don't give up just yet!
    Mortgage Apr 18 £417,894 BTL Mar 18 £162,857
    Mortgage now -- £353,106 BTL now --- £163,071
  • JennyP
    Forumite
    FloppyDisk wrote: »
    Blimey what a palava! On the plus side I had a similar issues with opening an account with them and got £100 in compensation so perhaps don't give up just yet!

Thanks FloppyDisk! I am now worried about the flag or whatever it's called that they have put on hubby's credit record. Really annoying. I only glanced at the letter they sent but it seemed to suggest that we have to pay £10 to see it.

Will have to dig it out.

Happy today as yesterday I listed two DVD sets - one on Amazon and one on eBay - and the Amazon one has already sold! Within 12 hours of listing!
  • JennyP
    Forumite
    Haven't updated in a while as I haven't done any eBaying. I can't overpay at the moment as have paid the maximum of 10% off each mortgage for the year but I have saved £1485.77 towards my target of saving £10000 before March 2022 in order to clear the second BTL mortgage. To be on track, if my calculations are correct, I'd have to have saved £1278 by now so I am £200 over the target for June 2018.

Need to have a big clear out and might list some more shoes on eBay. It seems pointless hanging on to stuff I never wear. There isn't much call for heels now we live up a farm track!!!

It won't affect my mortgage clearing as hubby is paying for house renovating but I think I am going to only change one of our two bathrooms. I reckon the other can be spruced up with new taps, a new shower and a coat of paint. It has white wall tiles which are inoffensive and a white suite and white/grey floor tiles. So that should save a lot. On the other hand, I'd like to make our ensuite pretty luxurious so I expect that will cost a bit!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure