Do you tip in restaurants?

Comments

• It depends on the venue to be honest. If it's a nice sit down place with good service I will leave a tip, however I think In the U.K. you're not really expected to.
  • In the USA menu prices are 15% lower than they would be if there weren't any tips because they don't pay their staff properly. That's the deal. if they had to pay their staff, all menu prices would rise 15%.

To refuse to tip in the US is amazingly ignorant. Everyone knows the price is whatever is on the menu, plus 15%. That's the deal you sign up for when you walk in and sit down.

In countries where this is not the case and tipping is optional, like here, it's different.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    15%? In Smallsville maybe. Most places now print a suggested tip of 18/20/22% on the bill.

I've started tipping less in CA though as staff there have quite a high minimum wage and health insurance. Some places in SF add an additional service charge to cover these additional costs. I reduce the tip by the same amount.
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    I do tip. But I have a 10% or £5 maximum rule. 5% or £2.50 each for good food and good service.

When we were eating out a lot, we'd normally go for pre-theatre type meal deals in smaller independent restaurants, e.g. 2 courses for £9.95 - plus a few drinks, which usually came to £30-£40 so we'd rarely hit the £5 maximum. It doesn't take much for us to slash the tip either, which is usually slow/unfriendly service or getting the order wrong.

The way I see it, if every couple/table gave them a £5 tip they'd be earning a good few quid on top of their wages.

Hardly eat out nowadays though, too busy money-saving!
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    No .
  • Depends if the restaurant has already a service charge, i wouldn't give any tip.
  • Techno
    Techno Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We enjoy the odd cruise and quite a few of the Americans bribe the staff (sorry, tip in advance) to assure good service so we have moved to a line that includes the tip. It is a bit more expensive but we Brits just find the whole tipping culture which is driven by the USA and their awful approach to service staff, so uncomfortable. And, I agree with others who state that it is the quality of the food not the service that encourages me to visit a restaurant.
    ;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Techno wrote: »
    And, I agree with others who state that it is the quality of the food not the service that encourages me to visit a restaurant.

For me, it's both.

We have a fairly new "high end" restaurant in a nearby town. I gather the food is excellent. It's not our style of food and is expensive so haven't been there myself

They are losing customers because of surly service - in particular, one waiter. One of my friends used to use it regularly for business lunches but has recently stopped going there as the service is as it is.

We tip. 10%. Unless the service is poor. We use 2/3 particular restaurants regularly and have built up a good rapport with the staff.,
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Techno wrote: »
    We enjoy the odd cruise and quite a few of the Americans bribe the staff (sorry, tip in advance) to assure good service
    Does it actually ensure good service? Or just avoid deliberately bad service?

Another reason to avoid cruises... that and the risk of ending up on the same one as an annoying Welsh bloke who thinks his impressions are hilarious.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • LunaaLouuby
    LunaaLouuby Posts: 29 Forumite
    I always tip in restaurants to reflect the service of the wait staff. I've previously worked in a take away and know how stressful it can be dealing with hungry customers!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback