50mph on motorway due to road works

Comments

• LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Richard53 wrote: »
    The language is not very clear here, and we could be talking about different things. To be fair, 'outside' could mean 'furthest away from the nearside kerb' or it could mean 'furthest from the centre of the road'. For me, the outside lane of a motorway and the outside lane of a roundabout are in opposite places - one to the right and one to the left. Far better to do what the police do and talk abut lanes 1, 2 and 3. Clear and unambiguous.

It seems pretty clear that this is what the OP meant in the context of his question.
  • wolvoman
    wolvoman Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    thats really dumb in this case. all 50mph motorways (under roadworks) are congested and when there is congestion that rule is silly to follow.

every time ive been all lanes were full, all doing roughly the same speed. the exception being sometimes the odd driver does 51mph and is on te outside lane. in which case you pull to one side and let them through and then go back to the outside lane

That's good of you to move out of the outside lane for someone to overtake.

But then idiotic of you to move back into the outside lane. Unless you were then overtaking another car?
  • wolvoman
    wolvoman Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    WHY do you call it the outside lane? Surely it should be called an overtaking lane?

Any lane other than lane 1 is an overtaking lane.

If there's 5 lanes (as there is on parts of the M25) then there are 4 overtaking lanes, not just one.

KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING.

Is that written in a foreign language in the Highway Code? Because it is the most ignored rule on motorways.
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Compared to the GPS readimgs, at speeds over 40mph my SKODA speedo is very inaccurate and gets progressively more so the faster I go. Shows much slower than the GPS.

On the other hand OH's Peugeot Van speedo matches the GPS readings right across the clock.

OH got done for doing 34mph on a 30 mile stretch of the A40 in SW London a few years ago. (Not in the Peugeot.)
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I would normally say stay at the official speed, but on the North Circular going round London the other day at midday I found myself in a restricted section next to an enormous low loader carrying a large earth moving machine and two small bulldozers. The sort of thing you used to see travelling late at night with special lights. I did speed up to get ahead.
  • Strider590 wrote: »
    She got the middle finger and a "rev bomb" from me.

A 'rev bomb'?

How very measured and mature of you.Chimes with the conspiracy theories.
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Where does your "old school rule" come from? As Huskydays has already pointed out, the rule is clear and the reason is expilicit:

"Rule 168
    .Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you."

You haven't driven a lorry have you?

Nothing about speeding up or driving unpredictably it depends on weight, gradient and power on who gets the upper hand when you are both limited to 56mph (give or take around 1mph)
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Shaka_Zulu wrote: »
    You haven't driven a lorry have you?

Nothing about speeding up or driving unpredictably it depends on weight, gradient and power on who gets the upper hand when you are both limited to 56mph (give or take around 1mph)

Nothing to do with driving a lorry - I was responding to bugslet, who said "As far do you speed up or hang back, I use the old school rule of if my 'cab' is ahead of theirs, I'd speed up; if my 'cab' is behind their cab, I let them go, then overtake once they have passed."

BTW your phrase "get the upper hand" doesn't suggest a very positive approach to road safety.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    thats really dumb in this case. all 50mph motorways (under roadworks) are congested and when there is congestion that rule is silly to follow.

every time ive been all lanes were full, all doing roughly the same speed. the exception being sometimes the odd driver does 51mph and is on te outside lane. in which case you pull to one side and let them through and then go back to the outside lane

Add to the fact they may even average speed cameras set-up.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A 'rev bomb'?

How very measured and mature of you.Chimes with the conspiracy theories.
    Pretty typical of him though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport