Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Terrysdelight
    • By Terrysdelight 14th May 19, 11:21 PM
    • 944Posts
    • 142Thanks
    Terrysdelight
    How to update Operating System
    • 14th May 19, 11:21 PM
    How to update Operating System 14th May 19 at 11:21 PM
    Hi

My own PC Has died on me - see other thread (just in case you can help - SO CONFUSED).

I have now come across my dad's old lap top. It is a Sony vaio - it's old but working. Dad only every used it to watch YouTube videos of Doris Day! So no files / docs etc stored.

Unfortunately it has Windows Vista on it so, now Chrome and Explorer don't want to run properly and are no longer supported.

How do I go about removing Vista and replacing with Windows 10?

Many thanks.
Page 2
    • Terrysdelight
    • By Terrysdelight 21st May 19, 12:46 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Terrysdelight
    You can install windows 10 for free, just dont activate it. You get a little note on the bottom right saying 'activate windows' and a couple of minor features do not work but other than that it works fine.
    Originally posted by Niv
    Hi

Sorry, I'm not a techie person. What is the reason for installing windows 10 and then not activating it?

I'm currently using my son's laptop until I can get one of my machines fixed.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 21st May 19, 2:17 PM
    • 7,150 Posts
    • 7,077 Thanks
    DoaM
    Hi

Sorry, I'm not a techie person. What is the reason for installing windows 10 and then not activating it?
    Originally posted by Terrysdelight
    Avoids having to pay for it (in situations where there's no free upgrade path; e.g. from Windows 7 there is, from Vista there's not). Of course you can also simply buy a key off eBay for a few quid and activate it.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

543Posts Today

5,416Users online

Martin's Twitter