Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cookiez
    • By Cookiez 17th May 19, 9:40 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Cookiez
    Places to live while commuting to London
    • 17th May 19, 9:40 PM
    Places to live while commuting to London 17th May 19 at 9:40 PM
    Hi everyone!

I'm looking to move out of London in a few months, but I'm not sure where to look at in terms of potential places to live.

I would like to move into a 2-bed house (detached, semi-detached, ...) with a garden in an nice area with low crime rates, green spaces around and good community sense, served with trains going to London.

Budget is 1750 GBP pcm and ideally it should be within 1h 15m from Liverpool Street, without having to rely on a car for transportation.

Does anyone know any areas fitting this criteria?

Thank you very much!
Page 2
    • TripleH
    • By TripleH 20th May 19, 11:34 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    TripleH
    Cheap compared to London perhaps, but both are anong the most desireable, and hence costly, places in the north of England.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Whitby?? Nightmare to get to, beautiful yes, highly desirable in the North is news to me. I understand about Harrogate but won't choose to live there.

To the Op, does it have to be Liverpool Street? I assume you work in the City? There might be other stations you can consider?
    Wherever you go, whatever you do Richard Marx is right there waiting for you.

Sweet dreams!
    • wjr4
    • By wjr4 20th May 19, 1:03 PM
    • 501 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    wjr4
    Another vote for Chelmsford!
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 20th May 19, 2:24 PM
    • 3,214 Posts
    • 3,232 Thanks
    steampowered
    A 1hour 15 minute commute each way is a long time. Especially when you factor in waiting for a train, train delays and reaching your final destination. I did that for awhile and it took its toll, particularly when I started working long hours.

For 1,750 pcm you could get a 2-bed flat within London itself at a much shorter commute.

Have a look round https://www.zoopla.co.uk/travel-time/
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 20th May 19, 2:25 PM
    • 11,672 Posts
    • 15,580 Thanks
    hazyjo
    FYI Chelmsford annual train ticket (no tubes, as with others I quoted) is 4092.

I find Chelmsford a little too big and busy for me, but agree it should be on the list and worth considering.
    2019 wins: Bottle of Prosecco; Popcorn Shed popcorn...
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 20th May 19, 2:33 PM
    • 16,095 Posts
    • 133,441 Thanks
    zagubov
    A 1hour 15 minute commute each way is a long time. Especially when you factor in waiting for a train, train delays and reaching your final destination. I did that for awhile and it took its toll, particularly when I started working long hours.

For 1,750 pcm you could get a 2-bed flat within London itself at a much shorter commute.

Have a look round https://www.zoopla.co.uk/travel-time/
    Originally posted by steampowered
    I'll second that- you'll find the extra length commuting adds to your working day will come to feel like a real burden.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 20th May 19, 2:34 PM
    • 11,672 Posts
    • 15,580 Thanks
    hazyjo

Originally posted by steampowered
    Just to add, I prefer my train journey from Leigh to my old one from Chingford, even though it's 13 mins longer (generally). Fen St station is so much more civilised than Liv St. I used to get very stressed there, 18 platforms and thousands of bolshy people. Fen St is just a dream. 4 platforms - which seem to clear much quicker than the ones at Liv St too so I don't mind hanging back and getting off with the stragglers, and the trains are so much nicer. Lots of seats, aircon/heating that works (99% of the time!), and I just feel so much calmer generally.

Don't start me off on tubes. I think I'd be dead within 5 years if I had to go back to that every day!

I would only do longer journeys if it meant I could walk the other end. No way would I factor in a change or a tube at the end. Mine is just under 1.5 hours each way (always said I'd not want more than an hour), but I'm not minding it at all! 45 mins on train ish, 10 min walk from home, 20 min walk to work (and a bit extra to allow for waiting on platform, etc). I work 9-6.

OP - what area are you currently in?
    2019 wins: Bottle of Prosecco; Popcorn Shed popcorn...
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 21st May 19, 10:03 AM
    • 785 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    You really need to look at the frequency of the trains. If there is one every 20 minutes, there will be times when one train is cancelled, the next is too full and you must wait for yet another one before being able to get on. I.e. you will be late and miserable.

Do you have a partner? Children? You won’t be doing school drop-offs and pickups, right? Two adults in a family with children both commuting long distance can be tricky – there will be times when neither of you can pick up a child on time.

Do your homework on the reliability of the train line. Remember what happened to Southern rail a few summers ago? There are people who moved away from areas served by Southern for that reason. Not all lines (the Balham to Victoria seemed fine), but most suffered massively. Remember that many people will always downplay problems because, you know, wherever they live is best etc etc etc.

Don’t underestimate travel costs. Do you need to add parking to the costs? There are many towns where the station is far from the town centre, and, even if it’s in the middle of nowhere, there’s nowhere else to park but the station car park – this can easily add 1k per year. Remember that, when train companies couldn’t increase fares as much as they would have liked, they increased car park fares massively, because they’re not regulated. What could commuters do? Walk 3 miles to the station? Move elsewhere? I know people in Surrey who pay more than 5k per year for their commute (ca. 3,500 for the train, 900 to add the tube, another 900 for parking).

Do you really need to move outside the M25? Would you consider areas towards the end of the central line, e.g. near Epping Forest?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,974Posts Today

4,309Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• RT @helen_undy: It's hard campaigning at the moment. Trying to cut through amid Brexit votes, protests & political resignations can feel fu?

• Follow Martin