PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

RIght to Buy - advice please

Confused241
Confused241 Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 22 May 2019 at 12:12AM in House buying, renting & selling
I have lived with my parents all my life in a council house, sadly my parents recently died within 8 months off each other.

I’m looking to RTB just to see what discount I would get or if renting would be a better option.

Anyway I’ve been given advice by a right to buy advisor which doesn’t seem fair.

My parents moved in this house in 1962 and my dad signed the tenancy agreement but in 2009 a different landlord took over the tenancy and Me, Mum, Dad signed this new tenancy agreement.

I am now the sole tennant via right off succession of the tenancy but I’ve been told by a RTB advisor I would only get a discount from 2009 as this is when I signed the tenancy. This doesn’t seem fair, me and mum were advised to sigh the tenancy to give us more security!

Told if I hadn’t signed the tenancy has I now have right off succession, I would now be entitled to my dads discount from 1962. This doesn’t seem fair at all, thought I was doing something to secure my tennancy/RTB when my parents were no longer here.

Totally confused on filling in the RTB form, what tennancies to put down.

Also it says in right to buy booklet “If you lived with your parents after the age of 16 and you later became the tenant of the same house or flat, you may be able to count that time too.”

Does this not apply to me either?

Obviously I’ve been through a lot in the past 8 months and thought I’d be able to buy this house I’ve lived in all my life and qualify for a decent discount

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Seems odd 3 of you signed a tenancy agreement in social housing.

Cross generation tenancies are rare but more so where 2 eligible people are already tenants.

Are you sure you signed a tenancy in 2009? As 1 succesion is permitted this just doesnt make sense.

Either way the solicitor is correct. If the new tenancy was signed in 2009 the terms and conditions would have changed most likely.

You are succeeding a 2009 tenancy not a 1962 tenancy. Your parents may have had the benefit of the extended period if their rights were protected on their new tenancy.

As you were added in 2009 the solicitor will go by this information as their legal basis.

The tenancy was the security. The rtb is a benefit. Nothing to do with security of social housing tenure.

When your parents signed it they did so in receipt of various tenancy rights. The time to question it was 10 years ago.

Info on succession and rtb is on the shelter website
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Also. Its still probably a pretty decent discount. Not to be sniffed at to be fair
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary

Totally confused on filling in the RTB form, what tennancies to put down.

Also it says in right to buy booklet “If you lived with your parents after the age of 16 and you later became the tenant of the same house or flat, you may be able to count that time too.”

Does this not apply to me either?
    It might apply to you. The discount is based on the number of years (presumably as an adult) you have lived in social housing. Contact below for better advice

https://righttobuy.gov.uk/agent-service/
  • Thanks for your replies

All 3 off us signed the tenancy agreement in 2009 and all became joint tennants as advised by the housing officer for the new landlord.

I have a letter from landlord dated 15/04/2019 - BA has become sole tenant by virtue of survivorship to the tenancy that was signed jointly between BA, Dad, Mum in 2009

I know the discount is a bonus and 10 years is still a good discount but when I could have got full discount might mean me being able to afford to buy the house I’ve lived in all my life.

I’m working at the minute and can afford to buy but worried about future if I stay renting and lose my job, have to go on housing benefit I am then under occupying a 3 bedroom house, can the landlord make me move out to a smaller property?

I’ve been given conflicting advice by the right to buy advisors.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have lived with my parents all my life in a council house, sadly my parents recently died within 8 months off each other.

I’m looking to RTB just to see what discount I would get or if renting would be a better option.

Anyway I’ve been given advice by a right to buy advisor which doesn’t seem fair.

My parents moved in this house in 1962 and my dad signed the tenancy agreement but in 2009 a different landlord took over the tenancy and Me, Mum, Dad signed this new tenancy agreement. - who was the new landlord?

I am now the sole tennant via right off succession of the tenancy but I’ve been told by a RTB advisor I would only get a discount from 2009 as this is when I signed the tenancy. This doesn’t seem fair, me and mum were advised to sigh the tenancy to give us more security! - who gave you this advice - a life lesson is, unless you're paying for it, treat it with a pinch of salt

Told if I hadn’t signed the tenancy has I now have right off succession, I would now be entitled to my dads discount from 1962. This doesn’t seem fair at all, thought I was doing something to secure my tennancy/RTB when my parents were no longer here. - life isn't fair

Totally confused on filling in the RTB form, what tennancies to put down. - well why do you need to buy? you can just continue living there.

Does this not apply to me either? - no idea, you're age isn't clear

Obviously I’ve been through a lot in the past 8 months and thought I’d be able to buy this house I’ve lived in all my life and qualify for a decent discount - you will eventually

Any help would be appreciated

I don't understand the urgency of the need to buy now. You can carry on living there and accumulating a discount.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for your replies

All 3 off us signed the tenancy agreement in 2009 and all became joint tennants as advised by the housing officer for the new landlord.

I have a letter from landlord dated 15/04/2019 - BA has become sole tenant by virtue of survivorship to the tenancy that was signed jointly between BA, Dad, Mum in 2009

I know the discount is a bonus and 10 years is still a good discount but when I could have got full discount might mean me being able to afford to buy the house I’ve lived in all my life.

I’m working at the minute and can afford to buy but worried about future if I stay renting and lose my job, have to go on housing benefit I am then under occupying a 3 bedroom house, can the landlord make me move out to a smaller property?

Unless you have the cash literally in the bank, if you buy with a mortgage and lose your job, you'll lose the house anyway.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

Sorry to read of your two losses. :( Please do not rush into anything, do loads of research on reputable websites (eg. local council, government, MSE, CAB, debt charities, Which?), use online calculators.

Can you also afford major repairs, maintenance, renewals, buildings insurance, life insurance, pension provision? I assume you are aware of the monthly utility bills, council tax etc. since this has long been your home. Complete a few full budgets for different possible future scenarios.

Currently under-occupying would mean any housing benefit would not cover all of the rent. Your savings or redundancy pay or a 'permitted occupant' would need to cover the rest.

Currently the government do not help with your mortgage at all for several months, so your savings or redundancy pay or lodgers would need to cover the mortgage. Even after the waiting period, government help with mortgage interest is a loan only.

If you got into arrears with your mortgage, or if you got into arrears with your rent you might be at risk of eviction. That is the purpose of 'rainy day' savings and/ or good mortgage protection insurance.

BUT the key thing is to take action at the earliest stage if you are ever in financial difficulties: search, read and post on MSE, get help from the CAB. Do not panic. Never 'rob Peter to pay Paul'. You cannot get evicted overnight.

Many working, single adults will never qualify for social housing. Many single adults are 'sofa-surfing', in temporary/ short term/ a tiny rented room or are on the streets. Some adults have health conditions or disabilities that prevent them working. Some adults cannot afford a balanced diet or cannot afford heating. :(

Until the last year, you have been sheltered from the real world and it is indeed unfair.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You could get a lodger
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Norman_Castle

All 3 off us signed the tenancy agreement in 2009 and all became joint tennants as advised by the housing officer for the new landlord. Previously a council property which was given to a housing association? If so you should have a preserved RTB.

Which advisors and exactly what advice are they giving you? Moving from rtb to preserved rtb shouldn't affect the eligible years.

This says you may be able to count that time. Ask in what circumstances this time will be counted.
  • Norman_Castle
    Comms69 wrote: »
    I don't understand the urgency of the need to buy now. You can carry on living there and accumulating a discount.
    They are looking at their options which most people would consider wise. "I’m looking to RTB just to see what discount I would get or if renting would be a better option".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure