Any information on German postal system?

Hi all

I posted a parcel to Germany using Royal Mail, about 4kg using printed papers International, not tracked. The buyer says it hasn't turned up and he is unable to make enquiries with his sorting office as he is the recipient not the sender. I think it is likely that Deutsche Post tried to deliver but couldn't so it has gone back to the sorting office. In the UK there is an online form to search for missing items that the recipient can complete, does anybody know if there is anything similar in Germany? I have looked on the Deutsche Post website but much of it is in German only.

I don't want to issue a refund too quickly as it may still be delivered.
TIA

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Does this help?

https://www.deutschepost.de/sendung/investigationInternational.html
    Is it about a letter without additional service?

We are sorry that the content of your shipment is missing in whole or in part. Unfortunately, we can not process a search request for this shipment. We would like to explain the reasons for this below.

According to the provisions of the Universal Postal Convention, the postal organizations of the countries of destination have been free to carry out inquiries into consignments without additional services since 2006. Because the way and the whereabouts of a letter can not be proven without additional services, all postal services of the Universal Postal Union refuse to investigate these programs. So unfortunately we have no way to check the delivery of your letter.

For the demonstrable delivery of a consignment, the postal companies also offer the additional service "registered mail" in the international field. If required, this also includes a free inquiry procedure.

We ask for your understanding that we can not do otherwise due to the international agreements described above.

https://www.deutschepost.de/de/service1/themenseiten/zustellung.html
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • goodfella66
    goodfella66 Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 May 2019 at 7:57AM
    It might not be delivered by Deutsche Post. I had an item sent to Germany via Royal Mail and it was passed over to a company called GLS for delivery. When they couldn't deliver it, they took it back to a local post shop and left it there with no card left to the recipient. Luckily I had sent it tracked so we could see what had happened although not where the parcel was left....which was not the nearest shop to the receiver.
  • misterthrifty
    misterthrifty Posts: 476 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks, it looks like the form is only for registered post.

I would be very surprised if the German Post attempt to deliver a large parcel, but couldn't for some reason, then it is impossible for the recipient to track it down. The customer says that he can only enquire with his PO and they have no information about what is held at the sorting office which is independent from them?
    Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound very German to me.
  • bhjm
    bhjm Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks, it looks like the form is only for registered post.
    I would be very surprised if the German Post attempt to deliver a large parcel, but couldn't for some reason, then it is impossible for the recipient to track it down. The customer says that he can only enquire with his PO and they have no information about what is held at the sorting office which is independent from them?
    Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound very German to me.

thats german :) nevertheless, if you have no tracking number at all - try this site for the investigation. https://www.deutschepost.de/sendung/investigationInternational.html

if you need any help for german/y let me know and I can look how I may assist as I am german :)

For the tracking - if you sent a parcel - you should have a reference number or tracking number, with this number you should be able to track the parcel down.

Deutsche Post does deliver parcels, however only small parcels which are non tracked or german "päkchen". DHL delivers parcel for Deutsche Post in Germany. So far i know, DHL/Deutsche Post is the delivery partner for international mail.

Deutsche Post and DHL are 2 entirely different companies, so he is right in this point as well.
  • misterthrifty
    misterthrifty Posts: 476 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the info.
    The customer was offered a choice of postage and chose standard postage (small parcel but quite heavy) so there is no tracking available. It looks like that form can only be used if there is tracking of some sort.
    In the UK the addressee can contact their sorting office or complete a form online which is directed to the appropriate sorting to make inquiries about missing mail which makes more sense than the sender trying to track it down. It appears that this isn't available in the German postal system.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for the info.
    The customer was offered a choice of postage and chose standard postage (small parcel but quite heavy) so there is no tracking available. It looks like that form can only be used if there is tracking of some sort.
    In the UK the addressee can contact their sorting office or complete a form online which is directed to the appropriate sorting to make inquiries about missing mail which makes more sense than the sender trying to track it down. It appears that this isn't available in the German postal system.

Buyers shouldn't be choosing the postage method, that's for the sellers to decide to protect themselves. As this parcel hasn't arrived you really need to be looking to refund soon, ask the buyer to open a case in ebay though as at least that way you get your FVFs back.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    It might not be delivered by Deutsche Post. I had an item sent to Germany via Royal Mail and it was passed over to a company called GLS for delivery. When they couldn't deliver it, they took it back to a local post shop and left it there with no card left to the recipient. Luckily I had sent it tracked so we could see what had happened although not where the parcel was left....which was not the nearest shop to the receiver.

Was it RM or Parcelforce you sent by?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport