2½ year old washing machine beyond economical repair.

Hi All,

I bought a Zanussi washer/dryer from Curries Online at the end of Oct. 2016 at a cost of £489. The bearings have now gone and after calling out Zanussi (Electrolux) the have deemed it beyond economical repair as the drum needs replacing.

I find this disgusting that such an expensive item should be scrap after only 2½ years. Have i any recourse against Curries under the Consumer Rights Act as I feel a, nearly, £500 machine shouldn't be scrap after such a short time?

Also, when I booked the Zanussi engineer to come out I specifically stated I wanted the machine inspected to see if it was a manufacturing fault. The operator told me to tell that to the engineer but the engineer said he wouldn't be able to tell and didn't even attempt to open the machine to check. Would I be due a refund from Zanussi as I didn't get the inspection I asked for?

Thanks in advance,
NDW.

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    If it's a sealed drum and bearing assembly then there is nothing to check
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Did you pay for the engineer to come out? If this was just a call out fee then no refund due.

Bearings are a wear and tear item and go go through constant use and/or overloading the machine.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You haven't given enough information to determine if it's a premature failure or not. 2.5 years might be a perfectly reasonable lifespan if the machine's had heavy use over that time, or it might be unreasonable for a machine used just once or twice a week.

As BoGoF says, it may be wear and tear. How often did you use it and were you careful to stick to the loading requirements? There's nothing stopping you from getting an independent inspection of the bearings and if that suggests there was an inherent fault you have something to go back to Currys with. After 2.5 years they have the choice to replace, repair or offer a refund, deducting an amount to reflect your use over the last 2.5 years.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    OP bear in mind circa £60 inspection fee ( Currys may accept enginneers report or not ).

Whats a 2/ 3 year old washing machine worth on a refund basis £150 ??£200 .
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are you only asking about a refund for the "non-inspection" or are you also asking about a remedy from Currys? Your post isn't clear.

What have Currys offered so far?
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,808 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 May 2019 at 1:44PM
    Hi All,

I bought a Zanussi washer/dryer from Curries Online at the end of Oct. 2016 at a cost of £489. The bearings have now gone and after calling out Zanussi (Electrolux) the have deemed it beyond economical repair as the drum needs replacing.

I find this disgusting that such an expensive item should be scrap after only 2½ years. Have i any recourse against Curries under the Consumer Rights Act as I feel a, nearly, £500 machine shouldn't be scrap after such a short time?

Also, when I booked the Zanussi engineer to come out I specifically stated I wanted the machine inspected to see if it was a manufacturing fault. The operator told me to tell that to the engineer but the engineer said he wouldn't be able to tell and didn't even attempt to open the machine to check. Would I be due a refund from Zanussi as I didn't get the inspection I asked for?

Thanks in advance,
    NDW.
    I would not mess around further and would simply send a letter before action to Currys followed by a Small claims summons

What sort of repair did you book from Zanussi?

Their Fixed price repair on the website promises
    One agreed, fixed fee for the repair - no surprises
    Our approved engineers offer a fast, professional service - ready to fix your appliance quickly and get your home running smoothly again in one visit
    Well paying for an engineer to not fix is a surprise
    The Repair and care promises
    If we can’t fix your initial fault, we’ll refund any monies paid up until that point
    I would be charging this back if you paid on credit or debit card or small claims court if not
    There is no way on earth I would be tolerating this type of nonsense
    My prediction is that issue of a small claims summons will get you settled without you having to go anywhere near a court

JumbleBumble
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2019 at 2:37PM
    When i read the title i thought to myself "i bet its not a washing machine, its a washer dryer". Lo and behold...

They are unreliable pigs of things. We had a hotpoint one and it basically burnt out every year - 18 months needing either a drum, set of weights, ECU board, or on one occasion the whole lot.

Fortunately we had insurance on it, but we eventually gave up and sold it.
  • BoGoF
    I would not mess around further and would simply send a letter before action to Currys followed by a Small claims summons
    JumbleBumble

Nonsence 'advice'
  • BoGoF wrote: »
    Nonsence 'advice'

Why so?

The retailer is required to provide a remedy, with a sealed part in a £500 washing machine failing after just 2 and half years and the manufacturers report to confirm, that's what I'd be doing.

Sure the OP can contact Currys but they are known for being rubbish, just kill 2 birds and do the complaint and letter before action in one.

Claim for the cost of the report/call out and the value of the machine minus it's use against it's expect lifespan.

I'm pretty such the manufacturer wouldn't be telling the public their £500 machines are designed to last just 2 and half years.

The other poster is also correct that Currys will likely resolve without going to court and sending the letter saves dealing with the waffle Currys customer service will spout in an attempt to fob off the OP.
  • BoGoF
    Why so?

The retailer is required to provide a remedy, with a sealed part in a £500 washing machine failing after just 2 and half years and the manufacturers report to confirm, that's what I'd be doing.

Sure the OP can contact Currys but they are known for being rubbish, just kill 2 birds and do the complaint and letter before action in one.

Claim for the cost of the report/call out and the value of the machine minus it's use against it's expect lifespan.

I'm pretty such the manufacturer wouldn't be telling the public their £500 machines are designed to last just 2 and half years.

The other poster is also correct that Currys will likely resolve without going to court and sending the letter saves dealing with the waffle Currys customer service will spout in an attempt to fob off the OP.

So on what basis are Cuurys obliged to provide a remedy?

They may do but onis is on OP to prove inherent fault which they have noy done as yet.

As has been said several things can cause bearings to fail, excessive use, excessive loading.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure