Pensions for Dummies

Options
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I dont really understand how my pension works.

To summarise, I have been in the LGPS pension scheme for 7 years now. I work p/t (0.7 fte) and I contribute about 5.8% at source to the scheme. It’s a defined benefits scheme. I have three years at final salary (1/60 scheme) and 4 at CARE.

We had someone from the pension company come in to our workplace last week and explain the advantages of AVCs. I have applied for £30 a month to go into AVCs - not much I know :(

But I dont understand what really happens or how much I that £30 will buy me if that makes sense? I didnt really understand when the guy said you get 25% back. I feel like such a doughnut but I thought it best to top up my pension in any case seeing as I have worked part time for the past 4.5 or so years :D

I dont know if its relevant but I am 32 :s

Thank you in advance
Mortgage balance October 2015: £99875 Mortgage balance June 2023: £69999.40

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have a read of this: https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/about-pensions/pensions-basics/workplace-pension-schemes/defined-contribution-avcs-and-fsavcs

If you're still baffled (and many are, so you are not alone!), give TPAS a call for free, impartial, jargon-free help to understand what you're investing in.

Happily you are pretty safe with what you've just done, but as a general safety point....not a great idea to invest in something if you don't understand it.
  • Youthgonewild
    Options
    Thanks Brynsam. I dont really understand how much extra pension Ive bought for my £30 worth. It doesnt help that it takes so long to process and clear through payroll so I don!!!8217;t know what my wage slip will look like in future. Im hoping I get my confirmation letter sent in the post this week so I can at least set up a proper account on the pension scheme website and view/track how much is in the AVC pot. I definitely put the money in a low/medium risk fund when I applied for AVCs.

Thanks for replying, it really is a minefield
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    https://www.pru.co.uk/rz/localgov/

Have you read through the information provided?
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I dont really understand how much extra pension Ive bought for my £30 worth.

Your main pension is 'defined benefit' (DB) - what you get on retirement is defined in terms of your pensionable pay over time. Your AVC, in contrast, is 'defined contribution' (DC) - what you get on retirement is dependent on investment choice and performance, and how you decide to deal with the pension when you do draw benefits from it. If you're familiar with the concept of a stocks and shares ISA, it's similar-ish to one of those, albeit with a different tax treatment.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Brynsam. I dont really understand how much extra pension Ive bought for my £30 worth. It doesnt help that it takes so long to process and clear through payroll so I don!!!8217;t know what my wage slip will look like in future. Im hoping I get my confirmation letter sent in the post this week so I can at least set up a proper account on the pension scheme website and view/track how much is in the AVC pot. I definitely put the money in a low/medium risk fund when I applied for AVCs.

Thanks for replying, it really is a minefield

You won't know how much pension you will get until you come tor draw your AVC benefits. Think of your AVC as a tax-efficient piggy bank, in which your AVC savings build up until you tip out the piggy bank (yes, it is a notional one, not a real china one...!). You can take 25% of your AVC savings as tax free cash if you wish, or you can use all your AVC 'pot' to buy extra pension.
  • Youthgonewild
    Options
    Thanks for the supplies. The link is handy Xylophone, I set up AVCs at work so briefly skimmed the document. I know, I am a complete spoon! It kind of makes sense when I read it but then I find I have trouble retaining the information that leads to further confusion.

Thanks again all for the replies, you!!!8217;ve been very helpful. I will look at increasing AVCs once I am in a better financial situation (hopefully when youngest starts school so my childcare costs reduce).

Loving MSE forum x
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 23 April 2018 at 12:59PM
    Options
    Hi OP

Can I ask what salary you are on, or put another way, is it less than about £12500pa?

The reason I ask is that if your salary is less than that (or around that figure ) you may not be making tax efficient additional contributions at all.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • MPD
    MPD Posts: 261 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cloud_dog wrote: »
    Hi OP

Can I ask what salary you are on, or put another way, is it less than about £12500pa?

The reason I ask is that if your salary is less than that (or around that figure ) you may not be making tax efficient additional contributions at all.
    Contributions table 2018/19
    If your actual pensionable pay is: You pay a contribution rate of:
    Up to £14,100 5.5%
    £14,101 to £22,000 5.8%

Not pasted particularly well but 5.8% means there is tax to be saved
    After years of disappointment with get-rich-quick schemes, I know I'm gonna get rich with this scheme...and quick! - Homer Simpson
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 23 April 2018 at 5:48PM
    Options
    MPD wrote: »
    Contributions table 2018/19
    If your actual pensionable pay is: You pay a contribution rate of:
    Up to £14,100 5.5%
    £14,101 to £22,000 5.8%

Not pasted particularly well but 5.8% means there is tax to be saved
    Well, that seems to mean there is plenty of taxable pay available.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • Spreadsheet_Addict
    Options
    As it's an LGPS AVC then it's possible the entire AVC pot will end up tax free as it's calculated on 25% of your notional "pension pot" plus AVC, which with 30+ years in the scheme to retirement wI'll be in the multiple tens of thousands even before you count in 30 years of £30 a month plus 25% tax relief.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure