Overpaying Mortgage VS Savings

Options

Comments

• ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    kev2009 wrote: »
    Thanks stardust09 - My first regular saver has just come through from last year and i got less than i expected, i think because I paid in after the day i opened the account as opposed to the first of every month so the interest is effectively half what i thought i'd get :(

No, sounds like you got what you should get and should have expected to get. Put the figures in the calculator below to see what happened:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-regular-savings-accounts#calculator
  • kev2009
    kev2009 Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks both, thanks for the link to the calculator, it seems i had indeed mis-read/understood so I have in deed got what i should have, which is hardly anything but i guess you can't expect much when they are limiting what you can put it. I have re-signed up for another one, which will be less as they have now halved what you can pay in each month. Will have to look around and see if anything else is paying a bit better or allows more to be put in if overall i will get more back.

Many thanks!

Kev
  • Bravepants
    Bravepants Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks both, thanks for the link to the calculator, it seems i had indeed mis-read/understood so I have in deed got what i should have, which is hardly anything but i guess you can't expect much when they are limiting what you can put it. I have re-signed up for another one, which will be less as they have now halved what you can pay in each month. Will have to look around and see if anything else is paying a bit better or allows more to be put in if overall i will get more back.

Many thanks!

Kev

I'm afraid you have fallen for the advertising blurb of the banks! They advertise what look like seemingly high rates to draw your attention, but there are conditions on how much money is allowed to be paid in per month. Sometimes people don't quite spot that, or understand the implications.
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Will have to look around and see if anything else is paying a bit better or allows more to be put in if overall i will get more back.
    You won't find a better rate (than Nationwide), and only FD allow more than £250/month at 5% AER.

So you'll have to open multiple regular savers (current accounts will be required first) if you want to save more at 5% AER from income.
  • chockydavid1983
    Options
    How is that advertising blurb? They tell you exactly what the interest is and on what amount.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bravepants wrote: »
    They advertise what look like seemingly high rates to draw your attention, but there are conditions on how much money is allowed to be paid in per month. Sometimes people don't quite spot that, or understand the implications.
    To be fair, when Kev took out his Nationwide regular saver last year the summary box very clearly said...
    The estimated balance on 12 monthly deposits of £500 paid on the first day of each calendar month with an interest rate of 5.00% AER/ gross p.a. (variable) would be £6,162.50.
    (Their bold, not mine.)

So people shouldn't really expect £6,300.
  • Bravepants
    edited 5 April 2018 at 8:08AM
    Options
    It's all very well advertising an "interest rate" of 5%, but they limit how much you can pay in so they don't pay the cash equivalent of a year's worth of interest at 5% on all of the money that you COULD pay in...one HAS to drip feed. They advertise the high interest rate to attract customers, and MoneySaving Expert agrees.

From our very own website:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-regular-savings-accounts

From the paragraph titled: How can they pay such huge interest rates?

It doesn't matter what you say, people are still caught out by it as evidenced in this thread.

It would be better and clearer if they said, "Pay in your £6k, leave it there for a year and we'll give you 2.7% at the end of the year"...the banks COULD say and do that couldn't they?

But no, 5% looks better on their websites as it's a huge eye catching rate, and some poeple just don't get the implications of being forced to drip feed.

Personally I cannot wait for the day that all this rubbish stops. There used to be a time when you put what you want into a savings account and got the advertised rate for everything that was put in. Nowadays it's all about dividing your money up into £3k chunks and having multiple bank accounts, drip fed from a central point. It's complicated, a hassle and doesn't lend itself to the simple life.
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm afraid you have fallen for the advertising blurb of the banks! They advertise what look like seemingly high rates to draw your attention, but there are conditions on how much money is allowed to be paid in per month. Sometimes people don't quite spot that, or understand the implications.

Nothing misleading. It's peoples comprehension that's the issue. The banks wouldn't be allowed to market such products on the basis you suggest.
  • Bravepants
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Nothing misleading. It's peoples comprehension that's the issue. The banks wouldn't be allowed to market such products on the basis you suggest.

Nonetheless, with the easy online accessibility of banks these days one can sign up to an account in minutes. It may be a mix of misunderstanding and eagerness to get their money working that makes people miss the "details". To some the details are obvious, but not others. Not everyone is on the ball numerically as others, they have other strengths, but I think banks do take advantage legal though it may be.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 5 April 2018 at 9:18AM
    Options
    I have to disagree a bit with the way you're presenting this.
    It's all very well advertising an "interest rate" of 5%, but they limit how much you can pay in so they don't pay the cash equivalent of a year's worth of interest at 5% on all of the money that you COULD pay in..
    No, of course they don't pay interest on money that you COULD pay in if you were allowed to deposit all your worldly wealth in one go. They just pay interest on what you DO pay in, while a second bank or building society will pay you interest on the money that you DO pay to them and don't pay to the first place.
    They advertise the high interest rate to attract customers
    Having accounts that other people don't match, is good advertising :)
    It would be better and clearer if they said, "Pay in your £6k, leave it there for a year and we'll give you 2.7% at the end of the year"...the banks COULD say and do that couldn't they?
    They COULD, but you would have to miss out on being able to put part of that £6k elsewhere for much of the year.

i.e., financially they could do it, because it would cost them only the same amount of cash interest as what they were paying on only £500 a month of your money being deposited into the account, yet they would have all £6k on your money for all of the year. It would be a good win for them and a loss for the consumer who would need to find all that money up front and could not save or invest it elsewhere to earn further interest.

Some customers like you are out for the lazy life and would prefer to get less overall interest by just putting the whole money into the account at the start and getting a lower rate, rather than getting the same amount of cash interest from drip feeding the account at a higher interest rate *and* having some interest earned on the rest of your money elsewhere. There are many people like you who are out for the simple life.

However what these accounts are, are accounts that accommodate people who are 'regularly saving'. Many can't deposit £3k or £6k in month one because they are waiting for an employer or pension fund to send them monthly earnings which is how they would fund the account. So what you are saying is please slash the rate to 2.7% for those people because you prefer the account to have a lower rate and allow a higher initial deposit because you are wealthier. Well, good for you.

Also, their market research will tell them that if you are regularly engaging with them (making ongoing deposits, watching your balance rise) you might be more likely to be tempted to buy other products which make money for them and help subsidise the product. The subsidy from the cross selling model makes it possible for them to make more total interest available to you on the account.

But no, 5% looks better on their websites as it's a huge eye catching rate, and some poeple just don't get the implications of being forced to drip feed.
    The implications are that you can't put all your entire wealth into the account on day one and instead are restricted to paying in only £x per month or whatever the limit is. Anyone with a brain will see on the sign-up page the key facts on how much they can pay in.

What you're saying is that those people are misled because they assume they will get paid interest on money that isn't in the account and is instead earning money for them in some other bank account, or is in their employer's bank account because they haven't earned the money yet.

Well, you can't help some people being duped because they don't think things through, but no need to change the rules for everybody just to accommodate the slow ones
    Personally I cannot wait for the day that all this rubbish stops. There used to be a time when you put what you want into a savings account and got the advertised rate for everything that was put in.
    You do *literally* get the advertised rate (in terms of AER) for everything that is put in. Every single pound in the account earns the [5% or whatever] AER, pro rated for the number of days the money is in the account which is how all accounts work.

What happens is the 'everything that can be put in' is restricted so they only pay interest on the money they want to receive because that's all they'll accept into the account.
    Nowadays it's all about dividing your money up into £3k chunks and having multiple bank accounts, drip fed from a central point. It's complicated, a hassle and doesn't lend itself to the simple life.
    The simple life pays you base rate 0.5% , libor or potentially a bit more or less depending on the banks own operating costs or whatever the market will stand for the money you have available to put in.

If you want to get the best rate, you are going to have to look hard for it or work hard to qualify for it. Why should you deserve to be paid a special 'higher than base rate' on all your money without any effort on your part. Does the world owe you a living?

If you have pots of cash I'm sure it would be nice to get paid a high interest rate just for sitting back and doing nothing. Maybe the government should regulate it and you wouldn't need to seek out offers because all banks have to offer the same rates regardless of their business model or appetite for certain types of business. One would imagine such rates would *not* a be very high.

So, meanwhile back in the real world... That doesn't happen.
    Nonetheless, with the easy online accessibility of banks these days one can sign up to an account in minutes. It may be a mix of misunderstanding and eagerness to get their money working that makes people miss the "details". To some the details are obvious, but not others. Not everyone is on the ball numerically as others, they have other strengths, but I think banks do take advantage legal though it may be.

Yes, it has always been the way, people who are greedy and "eager to get their money working" won't take time to read the facts they're presented with because of their greed overruling their sensibilities Lack of numeracy doesn't help but these people with poor maths skills are not being 'ripped off' when a bank accepts £250 a month from them and pays an AER of 5% on every penny on it (ten times the BoE base rate)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure