Portfolio - One Year Performance (Tax Year End)

Around this time of the year, to coincide with the end of the tax year, I've decided to look and see how my investment fund portfolio has fared over the full twelve months of the financial year. I'm sure many others on here with portfolios may be doing the same at this time.

Doing a quick calculation shows me that my portfolio is up by about 0.8% over the full year. This is for a fairly balanced portfolio of funds which is split around 60% equity and the rest mostly in bonds.

My observations are that:

- the extra volatilty of the portfolio, compared to the steadiness of a savings account, has not provided any fruitful benefit.
- in fact, I could have done slightly better over the year with a one year bond which, this time last year, were on offer for around a fixed 1.5% for one year!
- compared to the vanguard lifestrategy 60, which has performed 1.9% over the same period (1 Apr 17 to 31 Mar 18), the performance seems quite close

I'd be interested to know how other forum readers have done with their portfolios, particulary balanced portfolios (as opposed to all equity or mainly bond which would provide for a less like for like comparison, although still would be interesting to see).

For info, my portfolio is now mostly passive trackers although there are some active funds in there as well. I've held it throughout the year and I'm wondering what the next year will bring.

Obviously the past year's 0.8% return is barely break even. Will the next twelve months provide similar poor returns, something better, or losses? Who knows!

Comments

• ChesterDog
    ChesterDog Posts: 1,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Mine is all equity and almost all active OEICS and ITs.

Although I have made some tweaks to it through the year, it's up about 16% over twelve months but down about 2.5% so far this calendar year.

Outside of that, I have quite a bit in p2p returning about 6% per year and cash (obviously a much lower return) and other bits and pieces.
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sorry mine isn't very balanced as its all equities. I also haven't got an exact stat as I moved platforms during the year and have no access to the older site but my gain is 9.5% and my wife's is 12.5%.
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's been a strange 12 months for UK investors in global equities with the pound strengthening 12% on the dollar - cancelling out for us Brits the gains on Wall Street. Those who've concentrated more on Asia will have done much better.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 April 2018 at 8:12PM
    Overall up around 6% with some lucky market timings. Was doing better until the correction came along.
  • ivormonee
    ivormonee Posts: 395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A_T wrote: »
    It's been a strange 12 months for UK investors in global equities with the pound strengthening 12% on the dollar - cancelling out for us Brits the gains on Wall Street. Those who've concentrated more on Asia will have done much better.

I just had another look at my portfolio. It seems to have a lot of American holdings. And it's not just the equities. Even some of my bonds are in dollars. I am guessing the high USD content has something to do with the poor performance although I haven't done the maths to get a better idea. To add insult to injury I have a commodities type fund and that too is in dollars! Why has the dollar been so bad this year? No wonder it's all gone pear shaped. Oh woe!
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,211 Forumite
    Up just over 6% from 31/03/17 to 30/03/18, on a mainly active portfolio with (currently) around 95% equity.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    ivormonee wrote: »
    Why has the dollar been so bad this year? No wonder it's all gone pear shaped. Oh woe!

The dollar hasn't been bad. You most likely bought USD stock when sterling was weak. Historically USD - GBP exchange rate is around $1.65. Currently £ has risen back to around $1.40 from the low $1.20's. A 16% recovery.

When buying overseas shares one needs to consider exchange rates. The unwinding of QE by central banks. Is bound to throw other curved balls into the air in the years ahead.
  • ivormonee
    Prism wrote: »
    Sorry mine isn't very balanced as its all equities. I also haven't got an exact stat as I moved platforms during the year and have no access to the older site but my gain is 9.5% and my wife's is 12.5%.
    Alexland wrote: »
    Overall up around 6% with some lucky market timings. Was doing better until the correction came along.
    LHW99 wrote: »
    Up just over 6% from 31/03/17 to 30/03/18, on a mainly active portfolio with (currently) around 95% equity.

All the equity only portfolios seem to have done pretty well, with returns ranging between 6% to 16%. These compare very favourably with something like Vanguard LS 100% Equity which returned around 2% over the same period.
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    ivormonee wrote: »
    All the equity only portfolios seem to have done pretty well, with returns ranging between 6% to 16%. These compare very favourably with something like Vanguard LS 100% Equity which returned around 2% over the same period.

Most of my gains come from a few sectors. Japan mid is up 40%, UK mid 12%, UK small 18, Europe small 15%. My large global funds are mixed - Fundsmith 7% and Scottish Mortgage 22% (although I have only held this for 6 months). I have a tech tracker which is up 10% even with the recent drops.
  • ivormonee
    Prism wrote: »
    Most of my gains come from a few sectors. Japan mid is up 40%, UK mid 12%, UK small 18, Europe small 15%. My large global funds are mixed - Fundsmith 7% and Scottish Mortgage 22% (although I have only held this for 6 months). I have a tech tracker which is up 10% even with the recent drops.
    You were very good with your asset allocations. I didn't realise that anything did as well as 40% over the year. I did not have any Japan mid caps in my portfolio or indeed small companies so the returns of my portfolio did not benefit from these sectors.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure