8 week old Puppy is sick - what to do?

Options

Comments

• rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Pup isn't KC registered but I think (will find out for sure) that one or both parents is/are.
    The lady IS definitely a fully fledged registered breeder and breeds all types of dogs both pure and cross.

This has me very worried - as Chameleon and Caroline_a have pointed out - "proper" breeders stick to one breed (two at the most) and would certainly not be breeding a lot of different breeds and deliberately breeding crosses.

She may be registered - however, it is more likely to be with her council - which does not in any way prove that she's breeding quality dogs.

When you buy dogs from good breeders, you usually visit several times, see the mother (and often the father) - the breeder will ask many questions about how you/your home/family etc and you will usually pay a deposit to "hold" the pup until they're ready to leave mum.

The fact that she turned up, saw the pups, went away for a couple of hours, came back and took the pups away shows astonishing lack of care by the breeder.

I honestly think she's been suckered into a puppy farm scam (and yes, they often take mums & pups to another location to sell them away from the horrible surroundings they usually live in).
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    Oh this is so sad isn't it people. We rant on and off on here and other forums about puppy farm and back street breeders, and so sad that this is a real example of it. OP, your poor friend - those of us that have lots of dog experience all feel for her, and we all had to start to learn about dogs somewhere. I'm a reader - I read up on whatever I need to learn about. The internet has helped me tremendously in my search for knowledge, but I recognise that not everyone does that.

If this sad tale helps one person to choose the right breeder and dog then there will be one good thing that comes out of this. Lets all hope that the puppy pulls though, and that lessons are learnt before it happens again. Justjohn and risingfromtheashes have only echoed how I feel, and also my experience of good breeders.
  • YorkiePud_3
    YorkiePud_3 Posts: 718 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The most important thing here now is that this little puppy pulls through and that finally, she is with a family who will keep her, care for her, love her to bits and do everything they possibly can for her.

Gastroenteritis is a scary thing for a puppy to have ... when one of my greyhounds was just 4 weeks old he had it and I have never seen an animal be as ill as he was. It came on very suddenly and he became worse rapidly.
    I had some horrible smelling paste that I had to get down him each day and I have to be honest and say some days it seemed like we would lose him. I kept him with me at all times and slept downstairs with him at night to keep an eye on him and keep him company, bless him.

It took a little over 6 weeks for him to pull through and be well again, so please OP, tell your friend not to give up hope ... it's amazing just how strong these littlies are and what they can come through even when it looks like the chips are down!

My greyhound was the runt of the litter and having this weakened him also, but he eventually grew into a strapping, healthy lad ... I've got my fingers crossed for this little one!!
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gosh, we are losing my original point here.
    Breeder is definitely registered (don't know with whom) and checks are carried out. It is definitely NOT KC but we knew that already.
    Pup was vaccinated Monday and sold Tuesday.
    No it isn't a toy just small, not sure what it is crossed with but will find out.
    Friend way too upset at the moment to ask too many questions.
    Whatever happens (unless it's the worst) pup is staying despite how much it costs.
    All other pups owners contacted and they are all fine and well. Which is a relief because it's less likely to be some kind of outbreak.

As friend doesn't seem to have any legal recourse I only hope breeder keeps her promise to part pay what is going to be a huge bill.
    Keep your fingers crossed and I will update later. Hopefully with good news.

Unfortunately the warnings are key, because if your friend has been suckered into a puppy farm situation any other part of the story/ paperwork may not be genuine. Also the breeder may not be distressed and she may not have contacted the other owners. Some of the posters are experienced breeders or have veterinary qualifications, please trust their opinion. Both your friend and the vet NEED to know if the dog is younger than thought, if they have not had the vaccinations claimed. Unless the puppy is microchipped AND the paperwork all has that microchip number all you know is that A puppy was born on X date and A puppy was vaccinated. Threads like these are also important to protect another person from buying another sick puppy. :(
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gosh, we are losing my original point here.
    Breeder is definitely registered (don't know with whom) and checks are carried out. It is definitely NOT KC but we knew that already.
    Pup was vaccinated Monday and sold Tuesday.
    No it isn't a toy just small, not sure what it is crossed with but will find out.
    Friend way too upset at the moment to ask too many questions.
    Whatever happens (unless it's the worst) pup is staying despite how much it costs.
    All other pups owners contacted and they are all fine and well. Which is a relief because it's less likely to be some kind of outbreak.

As friend doesn't seem to have any legal recourse I only hope breeder keeps her promise to part pay what is going to be a huge bill.
    Keep your fingers crossed and I will update later. Hopefully with good news.

Ok so I know you are just a friend trying to get information. I also know that now isnt the time and place to go on about where and how to buy puppies. At the same time I feel you and your friend need to know a few things.....

Being registered with the pet owners club or whatever they call it nowdays means diddly squat. There are no minimum requirement set down that need to be met to join, and no one checking that said breeder is meeting them

Basically its a front for puppy farmers - simple as that. Some clever person relaised "papers" meant a lot to people, started their own "club" and issued lovely bits of paper that said your pups parents were blah blah and where show champons and allsorts - a lot of fiction in most cases

Yes its highly possible that one or even both parents were KC registered, and then bought by a puppy farmer and indiscrimately bred, with no health checks done and so many litteres bred that the pups could not be KC registered themselves

The KC has a lot of faults, Id be the first to admit, but their rules of registration do go a hell of a long way to ensure only healthy pups are bred and sold. If parents are not health checked to the standards set down by the KC and suppoeting paperwork sent in - then the pups can not be registered. Any "breeder" churning out litters cannot register them and litters of non kc parents can not be registered

So whilst Im not having a go at you or your friend and indeed its breaking my heart that there is yet another really sick puppy struggling out there, your frind has supported unethical breeding at the best - puppy farming at the worst.

Im only writing what I have done so that others who may be researching on how to buy a pup get to know what the difference betwen a KC reg pup and a "pet lovers or whatever it goes by nowdays" reg pup is.

I hope todog the wee fella pulls through and Im glad that the new owners can afford its treatment now and for the future
  • sophieschoice
    Options
    She is home!
    Feeling a bit sorry for herself but hopefully will be livelier after lots of loving and hugging.
    I asked my friend on the journey to the clinic what the situation was regarding the breeder.

The breeder normally only breeds pure breds. The pup my friend has was one of the offspring of the breeders own two dogs (she has four of her own - all different breeds) and she said she (breeder) told her how amazed she was that the puppies (after being advertised in the paper) went so quickly. As she hasn't mated them before she didn't realise how much interest there would be.
    The other thing friend remembered was that the breeder refuses to breed for show dogs. I'm not clear what this means but she isn't involved in show dogs, I suppose it's good or bad depending on your own opinion?
    She feeds her dogs Arden Grange if that's any use?
    Told you I was a cat person!
    Anyway, the little mite is home safe and sound and, fingers crossed, well on the road to recovery.
    Breeder (although as they weren't 'bred' in this instance IYSWIM I will call her pup's parents owner) has offered to foot half the bill.
    All that matters is she is safe and sound and back in her mummy's loving care!
    Thank you for your input and, despite not being doggy, I would always urge any pet owner to go straight to the vet when any animal is showing signs of distress or is off colour.
    Oh, and Insurance, Insurance, Insurance.....
  • suki1964
    Options
    She is home!
    Feeling a bit sorry for herself but hopefully will be livelier after lots of loving and hugging.
    I asked my friend on the journey to the clinic what the situation was regarding the breeder.

The breeder normally only breeds pure breds. The pup my friend has was one of the offspring of the breeders own two dogs (she has four of her own - all different breeds) and she said she (breeder) told her how amazed she was that the puppies (after being advertised in the paper) went so quickly. As she hasn't mated them before she didn't realise how much interest there would be.
    The other thing friend remembered was that the breeder refuses to breed for show dogs. I'm not clear what this means but she isn't involved in show dogs, I suppose it's good or bad depending on your own opinion?
    She feeds her dogs Arden Grange if that's any use?
    Told you I was a cat person!
    Anyway, the little mite is home safe and sound and, fingers crossed, well on the road to recovery.
    Breeder (although as they weren't 'bred' in this instance IYSWIM I will call her pup's parents owner) has offered to foot half the bill.
    All that matters is she is safe and sound and back in her mummy's loving care!
    Thank you for your input and, despite not being doggy, I would always urge any pet owner to go straight to the vet when any animal is showing signs of distress or is off colour.
    Oh, and Insurance, Insurance, Insurance.....

So glad the wee lad is home and fingers crossed he continues to make a full recovery

Just to be clear here, regardless of whether this breeder breeds show dogs or not, if this breeder is breeding prue breeds and is abiding by the rules - there is no reason what so ever that she should not be KC registering them and sending them on their way with full papers - 6 generations, parents health checks AND 6 WEEKS FULL INSURANCE

If this is not happening then you need to ask yourself why and be preparded to either walk away or be prepared for hefty vet bills
  • sophieschoice
    Options
    Clueless about dogs though I am, the pup my friend has is a product of the owners own two dogs which are different breeds of dog to each other so they could not be KC registered could they? They are a cross breed.
    Blimey, this dog stuff is complicated, I know now why I have cats!!
  • suki1964
    Options
    Clueless about dogs though I am, the pup my friend has is a product of the owners own two dogs which are different breeds of dog to each other so they could not be KC registered could they? They are a cross breed.
    Blimey, this dog stuff is complicated, I know now why I have cats!!

Many people are clueless Im afraid - which allows puppy farming to be so profitable:(

Your friend bought a crossbreed which Im sure once its healthy she will be delighted with. However I now hope you know enough to educate her, that there is no other registration then KC registration that means anything ( even though KC isnt totally fail safe), I just hope she now knows shes bought a pup whos parents could be brother and sister for all she knows ( or mum and son) and that no health checks were done and that pup could have major issues in furture life.

And that now insurance is going to be sky high for it and that so may ailments will be forever excluded possibly costing hundreds of pounds come the future
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Thanks so much for the update, I came here to check on her before I went to bed - so glad she is pulling through.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure