It's worse than useless.

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    It's worse than useless.

How so?

One of the main links between Europe and Africa, and it has been a while since they last had a serious crash.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We're flying tomorrow morning @ 1035 to Skopje via Istanbul [Ataturk].

Online check-in is supposed to open 24 hours before the flight. So on the button I logged onto their website [Manage my Booking]. I can see the flights, I can see how much we paid, but I can't check-in or choose our [free] seats. I've tried different ways of getting to the correct webpage, with the same negative result.

Fortunately we're travelling up to LGW later this afternoon, and staying at North Terminal Premier Inn. So we can check-in when we get to LGW, either on a check-in machine or at the check-in desk.
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    We're flying tomorrow morning @ 1035 to Skopje via Istanbul [Ataturk].
    Have a good trip.

The airline itself is good with decent food and booze in economy.:D

I agree with you re their web-site, usually total pants:cool:
  • PompeyPete
    blindman wrote: »
    Have a good trip.

The airline itself is good with decent food and booze in economy.:D

I agree with you re their web-site, usually total pants:cool:

Thanks. Sat on a Southern Rail train at the moment, enjoying the bootiful West Sussex countryside.
  • PompeyPete
    edited 23 April 2018 at 7:39AM
    It gets worse.

After my last post above I checked my e-mails, and there's 2 from Turkish Airlines inviting me to select our seats, and check-in.

Try as I did, I got nowhere.

Arrived at LGW, and went straight to the Turkish Airlines check-in. They'd gone home for the night.

Next stop was the self-service check-in machine, which allowed several options. Followed the instructions, swiped my passport....no record of me. Then tried my Booking Reference.....invalid. Finally, I tried my e-ticket number.....no record of it.

So it looks like an early Premier Inn breakfast, and get to the check-in desk by 0730.
  • PompeyPete
    After the frustrations of yesterday, check-in at the Desk was a pleasant anti-climax.

Turned up @0715, no queue, a very pleasant greeting, handed over our passports. I asked for adjacent aisle seats on both flights.....no problem. I never mentioned yesterdays problems.....there was no need. All done in a couple of minutes.

Security was a breeze, and we were Airside just after 0730.:)
  • PompeyPete
    Flight departed on time, a very clean, new looking Airbus 321-200. Smart, friendly and efficient cabin staff. Our adjacent aisle seats were on an emergency exit row, so we had stacks of legroom. Included lunch was excellent as was the red wine.

Transit at Istanbul Ataturk was straightforward, but the airport is huge and very busy.

Onward flight to Skopje was by Airbus 320-200, only took an hour, but the cabin crew still had time to serve a lovely warm cheese and tomato baguette and a beer or whatever.

Skopje Airport is relatively small, and we were through Immig in no time.

Airport bus @ 4€ each took 30 minutes into the centre, and a 5 minute walk to our accommodation.

First impressions of Skopje.....it was dark when we hit the tarmac, so can't really say.

Very impressed with Turkish Airlines now though:).
  • PompeyPete
    We're back home now.

The return flights with Turkish Airlines were very much the same as our outward flights.....excellent.

Our 2 and a bit weeks in Macedonia flew past. It's a brilliant destination, inexpensive, friendly, beautiful scenery, a decent transport infrastructure although we were put off using the trains by useless train times.

The weather was v.warm, mid 70 to 80f, and still warm in the evenings. Had a bit of rain, which cooled things down, but that just meant eating and drinking indoors.

Our accommodation was fine, particularly our gorgeous lakeside apartment in Ohrid, together with the hospitality of the owners.

Transylvania shortly for 3 weeks.:)
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Were people swimming in Lake Ohrid?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • PompeyPete
    richardw wrote: »
    Were people swimming in Lake Ohrid?

Only saw a couple of people in the water, didn't take much notice whether they were swimming or not.

It's a very deep lake, so perhaps late April is a bit too early...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Ohrid

That whole area is very scenic though, with plenty to do for days out.

I'm surprised how few English voices I heard in the week we were in Ohrid, but the only direct flights there from UK are Wizz Air from Luton. Talking to an English couple they were neither impressed with Luton Airport, or the time it took to get through immigration on arrival at Ohrid Airport. Our experience with LGW and Skopje Airports were very good, and a few days in Skopje is well worth it. English is widely spoken by the locals.

The apartment we stayed in by Lake Ohrid, Apartment Bojadzi was superb. Only £200 for 7 nights, right on the lakeside, a couple of hundred yards from the centre, excellent owners who picked us up and dropped us off at the bus station for free, and they couldn't have been more helpful. Booked on Booking.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure