parcel delivery companies in UK for hampers/food

Options
Hi everyone,
I wonder if someone would know and could give me some information about couriers in the UK who accept to deliver food (chocolate, candies,etc)/gift baskets/hampers as i couldn't manage to find any :(. As the hampers sale will be just a side business (I have a full time job) and obviously i don't expect to sell hundreds of hampers per month I don't have access to the discounted prices from the big couriers.

Comments

• Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Just use the Royal Mail. The only restrictions are around sending alcohol, which apply Worldwide anyway.

Read the rules on that here, under alcohol.

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/96/~/prohibited-and-restricted-items
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• IMI2112
    IMI2112 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 20 February 2018 at 5:44PM
    Options
    The baskets/hampers are too big and too heavy to be posted with Royal Mail - everything bigger than their large box size and heavier than 2kg is sent with an other partner company and the price is sky high.
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Royal Mail/ Parcel Force - what difference does it make? They are the same company.

Then you need to factor that higher price into your business plan, don't you think? As far as I'm aware, they are the only way to send food items (excl. alcohol). There's obviously more risk involved as some food items would not react well to high or low temperatures, crushing etc. That's why you need to pay more and they give guidance on how to package.

I do hope you're doing this research before you've established the company, as it doesn't currently sound like you have a viable business idea basically. Unless you only do it locally/ in person.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family