Octopus Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• fox_warrior
    Options
    Got my final gas statement from EDF yesterday. Guess what, they agreed the reading I gave to Octopus back in May, only took em nearly 4 months. Got my £30 cash back from MSE no probs, just waiting for what EDF owe me to be credited back to my bank account.
    Thanks for reading. Live long & prosper
  • simoncarter
    Options
    Been with octopus almost a year now. Really happy with them. Easy account management, no hassle switch, easy meter readings, 100% renewables and carbon offset for gas on the super green tariff as well.
  • fox_warrior
    Options
    Just had email from MSE about the latest "Big Switch" event. It's with EDF. (I've just left them). I went on my Cheap Energy Club account to compare prices and it only saves me £31 a year so I won't be bothering. I too am very happy with Octopus.
  • Toxteth_OGrady
    Toxteth_OGrady Posts: 3,958 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 November 2017 at 5:16PM
    Options
    I'm switching via MSE CEC from BG Collective Oct 2017 to Octopus.

I initiated the switch on the MSE CEC website on Monday afternoon, 4th September. I received a welcome email from Octopus the next morning. All information about the switch and new contract was very clearly laid out. I was informed that Octopus would be taking over my supply on 23rd September and that they would get back to me on 18th September for opening meter readings.

They also said that my first monthly DD would be taken on the start date, so payment in advance. As my preferred DD date is usually 4th of the month this would have resulted in 2 payments only 11 days apart. I wasn't too happy with this so I emailed Octopus to ask that they change my recurring DD date to the 23rd of each month.

I was very pleasantly surprised to get a reply to my email only 7 minutes later approving my request! :T :j

I was able to log in to my online account without difficulty and the website is excellent.

My only minor gripe so far is they don't appear to have a smartphone app but I can live with that.

Overall impression is so far, so good. :)

:cool:

TOG
    604!
  • michellej1980
    Options
    I have an app on my iPhone.

Glad to hear it's going well for you too. I keep telling everyone I know about Octopus and encouraging them to switch to it or anything other than any of the big 6.
  • diamond_dave
    Options
    As I've posted before about Octopus -this is the ONLY company that have switched me seamlessly. All of the big 6 companies have said that they couldn't switch both e and g on the same day. What aload of twaddle. Octopus energy may not be strictly the cheapest but the switch was brilliant. They email me every month for readings and the bill is never estimated. Switch now, please, you won't regret it.
  • CDeacon
    Options
    I switched from EDF to Octopus in February 2017. My EDF bill had doubled overnight once I'd been with EDF for a year, so it was time to ditch and switch.

I genuinely have been so impressed with Octopus and I recommend them to everybody. Their billing system and online interface is very clear, their prices are fantastic (I pay about a third of what I did with EDF!), the switch was as smooth as could be - literally no interruption whatsoever, I just started paying less! A high proportion of their energy is renewable (and you can even opt for a higher proportion for a bit extra), and their customer service has always been fantastic when I've had a query. Really, I can't understand why anyone would be with any other provider!

I provide monthly meter readings online for them to keep the bills accurate, and I pay a fixed sum every month which averages out the highs and lows of my energy use over the year.

One thing to be aware of beforehand is that they charge an up front amount towards bill payment - I think this was about £40 offhand but can't remember exactly, and this is taken off the balance of your bill. Given I pay my monthly bill on time every month, I've always remained £40 in credit, which I'm sure will help out if I use more electricity than predicted over the winter months.

Contact me for a referral link if you would like a £15 sign-up bonus.
  • jblackmore
    Options
    Have been very happy with Octopus over last 12M, website is basic but functional and they are responsive to emails.

Having come to end of 12month fix their new 12Month fix has jumped up 12.5% for me, and looking around I can switch to Avro 12M fix for only 4.5% higher than current so is ~8% cheaper for next 12M than staying with Octopus, which is a bit too much to ignore even if service has been good.

Octopus have started their own comparison website (every energy) - I suspect that the business model for all the new/small energy companies is time limited and as they grow/develop they inevitably can not remain cheaper than the next new/small startup, so maybe switching into comparison site (which also seems pretty crowded) may be their plan to make revenue even from leaving customers until the next cycle starts.
  • greenchilly
    greenchilly Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2017 at 12:08PM
    Options
    Im currently switching from British gas collective fix oct 2017 to Octopus.energy 12M fixed, I went to octopus website directly as i feel energy club deals as of late have been poor. Most of the energy firms recomended by mart lewis show to have good or decent reviews but when i went to trustpilot it paints a different picture.
    Most of the small energy providers recomended have dreadfull reviews via trust pilot, also martin lewis has no feedback or not much on octopus.energy but trustpilot has over 1000 customers rating 5 stars for service and support??? kinda feel abit let down by MSE.
  • fox_warrior
    Options
    Im currently switching from British gas collective fix oct 2017 to Octopus.energy 12M fixed, I went to octopus website directly as i feel energy club deals as of late have been poor. Most of the energy firms recomended by mart lewis show to have good or decent reviews but when i went to trustpilot it paints a different picture.
    Most of the small energy providers recomended have dreadfull reviews via trust pilot, also martin lewis has no feedback or not much on octopus.energy but trustpilot has over 1000 customers rating 5 stars for service and support??? kinda feel abit let down by MSE.

I agree with you. I got a brilliant deal with an MSE collective switch to EDF about 18ish months ago. It was the cheapest energy deal for about 6 yrs. When it was time to switch I used MSE Cheap Energy Club to get comparisons. I wanted no exit fees. There were cheaper deals if I chose exit fess but I didn't want that so I went for Octopus. They still weren't quite the cheapest but they had good customer reviews unlike some of the cheaper deals. The more recent MSE collective deals haven't been that good and I believe the Canadian company, (not sure of it's name) has been very poor on customer support. I'll stick with Octopus so long as their prices are right. If I can save around £200 a year somewhere else that's when I'll switch, hence the no exit fee criteria for me. I didn't know about Trustpilot as a source of info so I'll check them out in future. Good advice, thanks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure