PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

SDLT: mortgage vs title deed

Options
Quick story: we are splitting up, albeit very amicably. To avoid early repayment fees on the existing mortgage, I'm being advised to keep it, but borrow more to pay off my partner's share (agreed in a pre-existing legal document). We're doing this by keeping her ON the mortgage (because she has a longer repayment term available to her as I am older), but taking her OFF the title deeds to the property.

She's fine with this so long as she doesn't get hit for stamp duty (SDLT) at the second-home buyer rate when she buys her next property. So the question is this: as one named on a mortgage but NOT on title deeds, will she be considered a second-home buyer or not?

Many TIA.

Comments

• mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    Has she completely lost her marbles?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Quick story: we are splitting up, albeit very amicably. To avoid early repayment fees on the existing mortgage, I'm being advised to keep it, but borrow more to pay off my partner's share (agreed in a pre-existing legal document). We're doing this by keeping her ON the mortgage (because she has a longer repayment term available to her as I am older), but taking her OFF the title deeds to the property.

She's fine with this so long as she doesn't get hit for stamp duty (SDLT) at the second-home buyer rate when she buys her next property. So the question is this: as one named on a mortgage but NOT on title deeds, will she be considered a second-home buyer or not?

Many TIA.

When you say partner do you mean girlfriend or spouse?

Will she still be a beneficial owner of the property if not a legal owner?
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 June 2018 at 11:55AM
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Will your mortgage co allow that?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If they will then your ex will not pay the extra 3% stamp duty but I imagine would struggle to get another mortgage unless her salary is so high as to support two mortgages.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]But as said above, she would be taking a very big risk, guaranteeing what will effectively be your loan. What if you lose your job and can't pay up, she will be liable, what agreement will there be that you would pay her back.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Will she be able to force you to sell once the mortgage fixed rate ends?
    [/FONT]
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mrginge wrote: »
    Has she completely lost her marbles?
    Please sir! Please! Please... Me...me! I know the answer!
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You cannot make any changes to the title registration without the lender's consent.

Most lenders will insist on the people named on the mortgage being the same as the people who own the property.

Also remember that your wife probably won't be able to obtain a new mortgage if she is still listed on the mortgage for your current property. The mortgage will continue to show up on her credit report and I doubt a lender would allow her to have two mortgages, unless her income is enough to pay both mortgages.

Unfortunately it is sounding like your only option might be to remortgage the property in your sole name, which may mean paying the early repayment charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure