Fredrickson default

Hi all,

My apologies if this has been answered before but I have been unable to find a direct answer to my query.

In 2012 I had a dispute with 3 over a phone contract. I felt I had sufficient reason to end the contract due to the service I received and the customer service that followed. What ended up happening was a debt of £80 that eventually rose to £344. It became a default on my account in October 2012. I was young then and didn't realise the impact this would have on me in later life but I have dealt with that since then.

I have never accepted liability for this and never paid a penny. It has went from 3 to Lowell to Fidelite and now to Fredrickson. I have never acknowledged or taken liability for the debt with any of these companies. I have ignored all calls and letters which are basically on a daily basis.

My question is when this default drops off in October this year, will that be the end of it? I have read some articles which have put fear in me of me getting a CCJ and I am getting married next year and hoping to start a family soon after and this is really not what I need in regards to my credit file.

The default is due to disappear in October this year, so I'm just looking at what will realistically happen next, but what could also possibly happen? Will I be brought to court for a £344 debt I have never acknowledged?

Thank you for your time.

W

Comments

• They can still apply for a CCJ up until the date of the 6 year anniversary

Which will then start the 6 year process again, this time with the CCJ - which you will be 100% liable for. A dispute between you and a service provider is not a valid reason for not being issued one.

However if the CCJ is paid in full within 30 days of issue will be removed from your files
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,730
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The debt needs to be six years old before it is statute barred. They are chasing hard because the six year point is approaching.

It is possible that they may take legal action although there are companies that might not for that amount. Basically, if you ignore it you take the risk. Are you feeling lucky?

Considering your upcoming plans the question you need to ask yourself is whether you want to take the risk of screwing up your credit standing for the next few years for the sake of £344. Just because you were naive in the past doesn't mean you need to be now. Pay it and save yourself further trouble and expense.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 18 June 2018 at 11:12AM
    If they do take it to court and gain a CCJ and you pay it right away it will never appear on your credit file

worth the chance IMO
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,711
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    The default date may not be the relevant date here.

The cause of action date would of been the date of the last unpaid bill, which is likely to have been a few months prior to the account been defaulted.

That is when the limitations time clock starts ticking.

Can you remember the date of your last unpaid bill ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Sourcrates,

The date of the last unpaid bill is before February 2012. I'm not sure of the exacts but it's around then.

Is it 6 years from that date?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin

The date of the last unpaid bill is before February 2012. I'm not sure of the exacts but it's around then.

Not sure if serious or not.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,711
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Sourcrates,

This is National Debtline’s take on it :

“The cause of action (when the limitation period starts running) for simple contract debts, is usually when your agreement says the creditor is able to take court action because you have fallen behind with payments. This will usually be after one or two missed payments.”

With mobile phone contracts the cause of action date is the date of the last unpaid bill.

Contact National Debtline to confirm, but it appears your debt may already be statute barred.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure