Plusnet has added £10 to monthly charge because I told them I'm leaving due to recent price rise

Comments

• doberryfirkin
    doberryfirkin Posts: 279 Forumite
    All very depressing, sounds like PN will get you whether you leave or stay. So much for their nice homely adverts.....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 May 2018 at 2:03PM
    @TH
    https://www.ofcom.org.uk/advice-for-businesses/knowing-your-rights/gen-conditions
    Section 9.3
    Your provider must ensure that the conditions which apply if you terminate your contract don't disincentivise you from changing to a new provider, e.g. through excessive early termination charges.
    Section 9.6
    Mid-contract price rises
    Under Ofcom rules (known as 'General Conditions'), communication providers must give all businesses at least one month's notice of any changes in their contract that are likely to be of material detriment to them, including increases in the price you agreed.

If the agreed price increases are of 'material detriment' to you, you are therefore allowed to cancel that contract without penalty. Remember, this applies even if you are still within your 'minimum contract period'.

If your provider does not automatically give you the right to exit your contract without penalty following a price increase, but you consider the increase to be of 'material detriment', you could raise the matter with your provider.

Whether or not a price rise is materially detrimental to your business will be determined by your particular circumstances and the nature of your contract and your usage. You should be prepared to provide evidence of these to your provide
    https://www.ofcom.org.uk/advice-for-businesses/contracts#testax

Also EE are being investigated for discount removals
    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/05/ofcom-uk-launch-probe-of-ees-early-termination-charges.html
    The investigation will examine EE!!!8217;s compliance with GC9.2 and GC9.3, in particular whether:

!!!8212; its early termination charges (ETCs) were set out in a clear, comprehensive and easily accessible form; and
    !!!8212; by not accounting for discounts given to customers on their monthly retail price in its conditions and procedures for calculating ETCs, these ETCs acted as disincentives to customers against changing provider.
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    The OP says, they have an 18 month contract STARTING in early 2018.

I didn't think someone would be able to end a contract due to finish at the earliest mid 2019, because Plus Net, are raising the price by £1 a month.

I thought companies were allowed to raise the price mid contract, as long as it wasn't above a certain amount.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    fozmcfc wrote: »
    The OP says, they have an 18 month contract STARTING in early 2018.

I didn't think someone would be able to end a contract due to finish at the earliest mid 2019, because Plus Net, are raising the price by £1 a month.

I thought companies were allowed to raise the price mid contract, as long as it wasn't above a certain amount.

I think maybe you are mixing up LL/BB rules and mobile phone contracts as what you mention applies to the latter (rises up to RPI).

OFCOM have ruled that if rises do occur for LL/BB then the ISP have to give you the opportunity to leave penalty free. Even if that rise is 1p (which is what it will be for a lot of Plusnet customers this time.)
  • Sunshine91
    Sunshine91 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 May 2018 at 2:18PM
    Watch out, Plusnet are trying every which way to sting customers who move away since the price increase. I alerted PlusNet of my intention to move and had written confirmation that I could leave with no penalty and would receive a refund on the Line Rental Saver which I had prepaid (This is because Plusnet have increased their prices mid-contract and therefore have broken their part of the agreement, meaning customers can leave without penalty).

However, just started the switch to another provider and received an email telling me how much I will be charged! Absolutely no mention of the penalty-free early termination and also no mention of the refund. I spoke to a customer service agent via online chat who told me that this was within the terms and they have a right to charge me for early termination. He tried to spin some yarn that since the price increase does not come into force until June 2018 and I am leaving in May 2018 then I will not be paying the new increased charges and therefore must pay the early termination charge - an UTTER LIE!!! Here is the transcript:
    Umar Shaikh 1:01pm Right, the reason as to why there is charges is because you are in a contract as of now which started on 02/11/17 and is due to expire on 01/05/19 . If you are to leave, the remaining months on the contract that you are going to be incompleting, the charge is for that. And not at the new price rate. The same price rate. Also, the new price rates are to come in to place as of June, so as you are in a contract up until May 2019, these prices are not going to affect you. They will only affect if you are to take another contract once this one expires.

I contested this and he claimed that he was not aware of any other policy and promptly transferred me to cancellations. The cancellation agent took a look at my account and then told me that they were very sorry for the inconvenience and that they would cancel my contract with no penalty. He claimed that the initial agent I had spoken to (the one who confirmed I could leave with no penalty) had forgotten to remove the contract from my account!

This is thoroughly dishonest business practice and I will be complaining to Ofcom. I strongly advise anyone else who is having problems with PN to do the same and to post on here. It is completely crooked and we must make sure they are held to account.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Read up on their complaints procedure (OFCOM won't deal with an individual complaint!)
  • Herongull
    Herongull Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm now glad I didn't leave after the £1 increase. I was going to move to VF but PN agreed to match the VF deal so I decided I might as well stay with PN and avoid the minor inconvenience of moving.

This meant that an attempt to increase my bill by £1 ended up with £5 decrease in my bill but that is just the way the world is these days....
  • UPDATE
    After raising complaint with PlusNet they refunded the £10 over-payment.
    Then, after the switch to a new provider, received another email from PlusNet notifying about the next direct debit payment they were going to take (at this point they actually owed me a refund). So I had to cancel the direct debit via my bank before they could take any more money.
    I then received the refund from PlusNet with the associated credit note giving absolutely no details of how they calculated the amount refunded. On doing my own calculations, found that it was less than half of what they owed me. So again, had to raise a complaint.

Do all phone/BB companies behave like this - over-charging where they can and leaving it up to the customer to notice and fight for their money back?
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I just had this. Went on chat ready to argue my point but straight away the guy said 'Really sorry, it's our fault. I'll refund it now'.

Seems like they know they are wrong, but still carry on doing it in the hope some people won't bother to complain.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Do all phone/BB companies behave like this - over-charging where they can and leaving it up to the customer to notice and fight for their money back?

'Mistakes' to this extent seem to be a Plusnet speciality
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport