Lower rate attendance allowance

Options
My husband gets attendance allowance at the lower rate, he has received this for about 8 years, he is 84 years old.
He was awarded this as he needs help in the night, to get in and out of bed several times. He has severe arthritis
Much of day to day life is a struggle, getting dressed takes an age, I have to help with everything.
Remind him to have a drink often enough, he could just about make some toast, but not prepare a meal. He can't fasten buttons or tie laces, his fingers are so bad.
Our son says we should apply for the higher rate Attendance Allowance, my worry is they say no and we loose the lower rate we have now.
Any advice from here would be very welcome

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It sounds as if he might now be eligible for a higher rate.

AgeUK can advise and if they have a local support group may be able to give your husband a home visit where they will help with this.

So, give them a call:

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/services/age-uk-advice-line/

If they cannot help with local support ask for your nearest support agency (CAB for example)
  • marjrie_2
    marjrie_2 Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm worried he might loose what he already gets, I've read about how difficult it can be to go up to the higher rate.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Options
    marjrie wrote: »
    I'm worried he might loose what he already gets, I've read about how difficult it can be to go up to the higher rate.

Than go and have a chat with AgeUK/CAB/local support group who will be able to give you a fresh pair of eyes and the benefit of their experience.

No-one will be able to tell you for definite what the result will be but you can talk it through with them and get a reasonable idea . Given what you have said I’d have thought it unlikely that the lower rate would be taken away and, as the excellent pmlindyloo says, he might have a reasonable shot at the higher rate

Good luck
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,417 Forumite
    Options
    https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/attendance-allowance

To satisfy the night-time test you need to show that you reasonably need either one of the following:

help with personal care at least twice a night, or once a night for at least 20 minutes
    someone to check on you at least twice a night, or once a night for at least 20 minutes, to make sure that you are safe
  • marjrie_2
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/attendance-allowance

To satisfy the night-time test you need to show that you reasonably need either one of the following:

help with personal care at least twice a night, or once a night for at least 20 minutes
    someone to check on you at least twice a night, or once a night for at least 20 minutes, to make sure that you are safe

He needs help getting in and out of bed at least 3 times a night, this is what he gets the lower rate for.
    I now need to help him more and more each day, making sure he drinks enough, helping to dress and lots of things.
    I'm concerned if we apply for the higher rate they may stop it all completely. I've heard of this happening and we struggle financially as it is.
  • marjrie_2
    Options
    Penitent wrote: »
    You keep repeating that you're scared of losing the current award, but no-one here can tell you for certain what will happen after he's assessed, so you have to decide for yourself whether you're willing to take that risk.

I can only repeat what's been said above: speak to Age UK or CAB before you make a decision and if you do decide to go forward, get help with the forms to give him the best chance of success.

I hope when you are elderly and looking for some help or reassurance you find someone polite and patient to advise you.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You keep repeating that you're scared of losing the current award, but no-one here can tell you for certain what will happen after he's assessed, so you have to decide for yourself whether you're willing to take that risk.

I can only repeat what's been said above: speak to Age UK or CAB before you make a decision and if you do decide to go forward, get help with the forms to give him the best chance of success.
    I hope when you are elderly and looking for some help or reassurance you find someone polite and patient to advise you.

That's not very fair. Penitent has given good advice - no-one could possibly know the answer to your question.

Either stay as you are or get advice and apply for the higher rate.

Have you and your husband been assessed by social services - him for care needs; you as a carer?
  • NeilCr
    Options

Who you may well find at CAB or AgeUK.

I have a lot of sympathy for your situation but I honestly do not really know what you are looking for from this forum. No-one can tell you for certain what will happen if you do apply for the higher rate.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My husband gets attendance allowance at the lower rate, he has received this for about 8 years, he is 84 years old.

If he did National Service (or any other military service), you could ask SSAFA for help with making a claim. They were a lot of help to my parents.
  • NeilCr
    Options
    I'm honestly not sure what just happened. I've reread my post and I can't see the part that was impolite. I was trying to help you reach a solution to your problem.

I have OCD, so I tend to obsess and repeat myself and sometimes struggle to move forward. I thought I was helping you recognise that you were caught in a similar loop that was preventing you moving forward.

It is not you Penitent. Please do not worry about it.

I read it and saw nothing impolite there -and I am pretty sure others will think the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure