What would you do?

Comments

• nadnad
    nadnad Posts: 1,593 Forumite
    thanks everyone for your views and advice.

we've decided 100% to go ahead with the build. we gonna have our site thats nearly 2 acres, a 3000sqft house, a double detached garage with playroom up above for my husband!, i'll eventually be able to build stables out the back - for the horses I WILL have one day. the site is surrounded on three sides by rolling fields and is on a 2 mile lane with only about 10 other houses. we're also only 10 minutes from the motorway, 40 minutes from belfast (where I work), 20 mins from where OH works and 15 minutes from both of our families and friends, the primary school I went to is about 1 mile away - its a teeny tiny school with only about 50 pupils - so when we have kids it'll be ideal.

having typed all that down I now know for sure that this can't be beaten, just the thought of it relaxes me and makes me happy. I can't wait, I just have to get moving with the builders and by this time next year lets all hope that we're living the dream!
    DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY ;)

norn iron club member no.1
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Nadnad, good to hear you plan to follow your dream, particularly with all the background information, sounds perfect. Good luck with the build.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • Jays
    Jays Posts: 410 Forumite
    Sounds idyllic, I'm so glad you are going for it.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy,
    Jays
  • Thefunkygibbons
    Thefunkygibbons Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    sounds great

I wish I could find a site like that

But the planning densities are so high that 2 acres would be considered sufficient for 40+ units here
  • lush_walrus
    lush_walrus Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    Have a fantastic time...And if things get hairy while you are buildng your new house...Dont panic its totally normal for things to go wrong and ALL can and will be solved. x
  • nadnad
    sounds great

I wish I could find a site like that

But the planning densities are so high that 2 acres would be considered sufficient for 40+ units here

well the reason the price of the site has shot up is because the planning authorities here in NI have reduced the number of planning permission granted for countryside new builds from 12000 last year right down to 2000 this year. Basically only farmers can get planning permission now, we luckily got ours about 1 week before this came in.
    DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY ;)

• Anastacia
    Anastacia Posts: 470 Forumite
    nadnad wrote:
    thanks everyone for your views and advice.

having typed all that down I now know for sure that this can't be beaten, just the thought of it relaxes me and makes me happy. I can't wait, I just have to get moving with the builders and by this time next year lets all hope that we're living the dream!

You have made the right decision...can we come to stay !
    Anastacia
    ....another happy bug.........sorry,blogger embracing the simple life
  • Would it be possible to live in a caravan while the new house is built and to sell your present one. Or at least for a short time until the other one is finished
  • nadnad
    Would it be possible to live in a caravan while the new house is built and to sell your present one. Or at least for a short time until the other one is finished

we thought about that, actually my mum offered to put us up, but even if we did that - i'd need to giv her money for bills etc and that combined with the fact that she lives about 45 miles from my work (meaning more petrol) wouldn't really be worth our while. OUr present house isn't costing too much to run at the minute cos we switched the mortgage to Interest only whilst we're building. its always an option but hopefully we won't need to do that just yet - although probably we will for the last couple of months.
    DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY ;)

• If you get the caravan then when the house is finished then all the people who think that it sounds idelic,me included, can be put in it when they invite themselves to stay!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure