Advice on what to say to mortgage co?

Hi

We've got £17k left on our mortgage and want to pay it off over the next couple of years. When I paid a small lump sum in recently, I was surprised to find that C&G had used it to reduce our monthly payments as opposed to reducing the term of our mortgage. Is this normal?

I've now got another £7k I'd like to pay in and I'd like to make sure the right thing happens this time. Are there some magic words I need to say when speaking to them?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I really am quite confused!

Thanks.

Susie

Comments

• miaxmia
    miaxmia Posts: 309 Forumite
    Just tell them you want to continue paying the same monthly amount so that the term of your mortgage reduces. I make higher payments on my Halifax mortgage and, in the past, when they have reduced the monthly amount (if interest rates have gone down) I have just telephoned and said I want to continue paying same amount each month.
  • SMBW
    SMBW Posts: 15 Forumite
    Thanks, maixmia. I'll do that.

Stupid question number 2 is how do people who use mortgage pigs make their monthly overpayments? Do you just send a cheque for £10 or so each month, or do it by internet banking? Is there a minimum amount they will let you pay by cheque each month? I can't find anything in my C&G stuff that tells me the procedure for this. I bought my mortgage pig (or mortgage ladybird!) in a charity shop yesterday and want to get organised about how I'm going to use him.

Until I came across this forum, I didn't realise how clueless I am about money matters. Left to my own devices, I'd probably have by life savings in a biscuit tin under the bed... :o
  • miaxmia
    miaxmia Posts: 309 Forumite
    I make regular overpayments - with the Halifax, instead of paying the mortgage by direct debit, they set it up so that I pay by standing order. I think with direct debit it allows the mortgage company to change the amount of money they take from you, so if interest rates go up or go down they can just adjust the amount paid by direct debit accordingly. By setting up a standing order, I am in control of how much I pay each month. Our mortgage should be £457 each month, but we pay £500 a month, so I know that if interest rates should go up at all we are paying plenty over each month and would be covered by any increase (especially since we have been paying over for so long now). If you do your banking online, you can change the amount on the standing order yourself, so I am guessing this is a way that you could pay extra off your mortgage. With the Halifax I think they suggested that I could pay the mortgage by direct debit and also set up a standing order for additional payments, but obviously you would have to check with C & G if they accepted overpayments and, if so, if this is the way to do it.
  • SMBW
    SMBW Posts: 15 Forumite
    That's great - I'll give C&G a ring tomorrow and find out if I can do a standing order.

Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport