reband failed BEWARE

Options
Hi I used all the sites on martins money tips and found that out of 23 bungalows all the same as mine on the same estate 20 are in band E and 3 of us are band F my appeal has been turned down because they used halifax house price calculator that priced my property at £136.000 and martins money tips used nationwide house price calculator that priced my house at £119,000 in Q2 of 1991 so beware what site they use as it may be what ever suits the VOA.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am rather shocked to hear what you are posting as VOA should not be using house price calculators. I'm ex VOA and we never used hpc as we had details of nearly every 1991 property sale, and using actual sales evidence found hpc were inaccurate. The big difference between Halifax and NW on your own home reinforces this.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • justalaugh
    Options
    the letter I received from the VOA says"when we indexed back to the second quarter of 1991 on the halifax house price calculator it gives a fiqure of around £136000" thats why they are leaving me in band F
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    I consider their reply ridiculous! But unfortunately for you even if they had taken an average of the 2 HPCs it would be £127,500, so still Band F.

It is still not a sound method of valuation.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    justalaugh wrote: »
    Hi I used all the sites on martins money tips and found that out of 23 bungalows all the same as mine on the same estate 20 are in band E and 3 of us are band F my appeal has been turned down because they used halifax house price calculator that priced my property at £136.000 and martins money tips used nationwide house price calculator that priced my house at £119,000 in Q2 of 1991 so beware what site they use as it may be what ever suits the VOA.

Your neighbours won't be too pleased if they suddenly find they've all been put up to band F :eek:

Deny all knowledge ;)
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • ciano125
    ciano125 Posts: 492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tone of the list suggests that if all the others are band E then so should yours. Don't accept it, write back and tell them they are wrong.
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    There are 3 in Band F, it is not impossible that Band F is correct and Band E is wrong. I had a similar problem when I worked in VOA of 3 identical houses. Occ of one in Band F rang and complained other 2 were Band D and wanted hers reduced.

Investigated matter and found one of houses sold in late 91. Result : other 2 increased to F. "Tone of list" in this case wasn't correct.

I am wondering in justalaugh's case if all 23 are exactly identical.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure