Very short ESA Assessment

Options
mw1805
mw1805 Posts: 11 Forumite
edited 22 June 2018 at 11:45AM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi everyone, it's me again. Regularly posted about ESA in the past week.

Today was the day. When we got to the centre I froze up and could barely talk or move, I was crying and very anxious.

Partner came into assessment with me and the nurse (A very young lady, probably about my age and I'm 23) told him he could speak for me as I clearly wasn't coping well.

She did ask me my date of birth and that was about it. I couldn't even make eye contact with her. Now it's over and done with, I feel pretty rude but I couldn't help it.
At one stage my suicidal thoughts were mentioned and she briefly turned to me and asked why I wanted to harm myself. I could only answer with 'Because I want to die.' (Very blunt, but again I'd frozen up)

After about 15 minutes she said "I've got everything I need now. I'm going to let you go because I can see it's very hard for you being here."

That was that. I was in and out in 15 minutes. Surely that isn't a good sign? I'm worrying yet again. If you haven't seen my previous posts, I've been on income based support group ESA for a year now. I never had an assessment to be placed in the support group. I think they did it all on paper. This time I was called for an assessment because I failed to get my ESA50 form back in time (Bad stint recently where I've been unable to do much other than sleep) They didn't say if this was why I'd been called for a face to face but I figure it was.

Thanks.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    These assessments vary in length. I've had an assessment that lasted over 1 hour and also had one that lasted around 10-15 mins. It's not good or bad and it doesn't really mean anything other than they had no further questions to ask you.

Hopefully for you it will be good news. Decision times vary depending on backlog in your area. Good luck.
  • Nooney123456789
    Nooney123456789 Posts: 61 Forumite
    edited 22 June 2018 at 7:32PM
    Options
    I didn't have a f2f first time for support group but did on reassessment because I forgot to write the most important thing about my condition on my ESA50 so it could have been that you didn't put as much detail in your second ESA50 .
    You can't really judge the outcome of your assessment on the time that it takes.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The fact that the assessment was short should not be taken as a bad sign. It's more likely that, combined with the ESA50 and any input from your GP, a short assessment was all that was required to make a recommendation.
    Nothing is a certainty, but I would be surprised if you were moved from your current group.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure