Is & ca ?

Options
I currently get income support and carers allowance i went to the job centre a month ago to see if any changes in circumstances and i said no because there wasnt and i stil care for my mum.
She turned around to me and said ah from October you will be switched over to universal credit and i will have to find work ?

Is this true? How can i go find work and look after my mum at the same time? And even if i do find work who will look after my mum?

Comments

• kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
  • Ezorqs
    Ezorqs Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Managed migration is not expected to begin until 2019. Contact the benefit centre to obtain confirmation and state that there has been no change in your circumstances.

They cannot (and should not) migrate you unless there has been a change in your circumstances. I would recommend filing a complaint with that Jobcentre.

If they still insist with the migration, take it to your MP.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 June 2018 at 6:56PM
    Options
    "She turned around to me and said ah from October you will be switched over to universal credit and i will have to find work ?"

I'd take this with a very large pinch of salt.

1) Unless you circumstances change, you stay on legacy benefits.
    You will then be moved over to UC during the managed transition phase, this will be 2019 at the earliest (and likely to be much later).
    "Once the full roll out for new claims is complete, existing benefit claimants who have not had a change in circumstances, will be moved over to Universal Credit at some point between July 2019 and March 2022"
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Universal-Credit-Pilot

2) If you follow kingfishersblue link, you will see you will have no work commitments on UC as a carer:
    "No work-related requirements
    You will be placed in this group if you are earning above your earnings threshold. This is based on what you would earn if you worked for 35 hours a week at the National Minimum Wage. If you have caring responsibilities your threshold may be lower than this.
    You will also be placed in this group if you:
    - have limited capability for work-related activity (LCWRA)
    - receive the carers element or are providing care for a severely disabled person for at least 35 hours a week ....... "

Many DWP staff seem to be extremely ill-informed about the benefits system, and very badly trained (if they are trained at all).
    Given the apparent abysmal knowledge of your JC contact, I would strongly suggest you check anything important she says (internet or CAB).
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Denny54 wrote: »
    She turned around to me and said ah from October you will be switched over to universal credit and i will have to find work ?

If the person at the Job Centre really said that, and I have no reason to doubt the OP, then it needs to be raised with their Team Leader or manager. Either they don't know what is happening and simply got it wrong or they took malicious pleasure in stressing claimants. Either way they need additional training.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    2) If you follow kingfishersblue link, you will see you will have no work commitments on UC as a carer:

Thank you Alice Holt - I was rushing before going to Guides (as a carer myself, I enjoy my voluntary work because it gives me a break from my usual caring responsibilities :))
  • Denny54
    Denny54 Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies.
    I knew i wouldn’t have to find work and thanks for that link ill be sure to show her that if next time she tells me i have to find work.
    She also said to me “are you doing any cash in hand jobs” which i found to be very rude unprofessional.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Only 10% of all those who will eventually be on UC are on it. Cant see them getting round to managed migration next year some how.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure