Turned down because they thought I was too good?

13»

Comments

• SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I'm currently employed in a job which on paper is way below my skillset and previous salary, I purposely applied for the job, not just to be in any job but because I needed employment that was less stress (and hours) than my previous career and one where there was less chance I would let my employer down due to my disabilities.

Unfortunately, I was hitting the same road block plus extra ones before securing this job . In my old sector, employers were too scared to take me on because of my health but in employment below my skillset, they were worried I would get bored and move on very quickly.

Fortunately, someone did eventually take a chance on me and I have now been there a very happy 8 months. Some of the staff did find it weird to start with as my qualifications and experience is above what is needed for the role and thought I would be a bit hoity toity but tea and cake works wonders and I am now seen as one of the crew.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure