And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ouch, it sounds like everything *feels* wobbly, but you *know* its actually okay ... and, um, did you read the list of what you did, it was a lot! But it felt like a struggle, I can hear that.

Great that you're feeling comfortable with the OP vs pension decision you'd made. Have a good Sunday! Don't know quite where you are, but its sunny round here :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Ouch, it sounds like everything *feels* wobbly, but you *know* its actually okay ... and, um, did you read the list of what you did, it was a lot! But it felt like a struggle, I can hear that.

Great that you're feeling comfortable with the OP vs pension decision you'd made. Have a good Sunday! Don't know quite where you are, but its sunny round here :)

Thank you Karma, you are kind :A

I did feel a bit blue yesterday and I couldn't really put my finger on why. I think when things get challenging it sort of draws a big, red line under the fact that the only person available to shoulder it is me which can feel a bit daunting. However, shoulder it I will! Feeling more myself today:)
    Hope you've had a good weekend - you've certainly been productive xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • pinkypig
    edited 4 February 2018 at 10:34PM
    Would nit claim to be bursting with energy and enthusiasm but I've certainly been less rubbish than yesterday:p

It dawned on me this morning that if I didn't get my a**e into gear I was going to have one hell of a tough week as I've got a lot on at work, two night shifts with dad, an open evening with ds not to mention juggling the usual football training, homework, revision etc etc. That got me moving:rotfl:

I did have my hour in bed reading but I didn't dilly dally once my hour was up, unlike yesterday:o. I went out for a very cold, very slippery run but the sun was shining and the sky was blue which fairly lifted my spirits. It also gave me a bit of an energy boost and I did 20 minutes weights arm and core work when I got back.
    The rest of the morning was helping out with homework although I did get the veg for dinner prepped and some spicy lentil soup made while ds was getting it done.

The rest of the afternoon was spent getting things ready for the week. I roasted a ys turkey crown yesterday and it has so much meat on it! I've never cooked one before and I was amazed at how easily it carved (even with my "skills"!). There was enough for a roast dinner and two smaller roasts for lunches tomorrow, a Thai red curry, a pie filling , about 6 portions of turkey and mushroom in creamy garlic sauce, ds's sandwiches for tomorrow and there was still two family roast dinner size packs of slices for the freezer :money:
    Being a bit dense I didn't realise they had bones until I carved it :o I shoved them in the sc with a carrot, and onion and some bay leaves and got enough stock for two lots of gravy and when I fished out the bones and picked off the meat and popped it back in with the veggies and the remaining stock and a bit of milk and blitzed it with a stick blender I got 4 portions of soup. £6 well spent. Glad I've another two in the freezer :). This week will be much more manageable now lunches and dinners are ready just to heat up.

Other successes included;

Laundry folded and put away

Kitchen units wiped and floor swept

Cake from the freezer filled with lemon curd and iced.

Nsd

Fails included ;

Not enough water drank
    No gardening
    The sunshine highlighted my filthy windows which are still filthy as is the car:o

My other mse success was one I've been deliberating for a while and today I took the plunge and cut my own hair:eek: The :eek: is about doing it not,I'm glad to say, the results:rotfl:

I have mid length hair which is in long layers as its very thick. I watched and followed a YouTube video on cutting long layers and just took off the very ends and then thinned the top layers a little with thinning scissors. It was a bit scary to be honest but it looks and feels as it does when the hairdresser's done it so I'm quite chuffed.
    The scissors were off eBay and cost a whole 57p at auction. And the thinning scissors were 99p. They were shipped from China so took a while to arrive and then they sat in a drawer for about 6 weeks as I was too scared to use them:rotfl: My usual 8 - 10 week cut was £10 but recently went up to £15:eek: so I'm jolly pleased I've plucked up the courage and had a go. Its probably not salon standard and I might need a good cut once in a while but until I've kicked this mortgage into touch its good enough:)

Off to enjoy an episode of Vera before bed and hopefully a good nights sleep before the madness begins again:D

PP xx
  • pinkypig
    Monday done :j

Work was a bit of an uphill struggle today, fussy kids and some very undignified adult behaviour:eek: Glad i don't need to deal with that nonsense! I've done my day to day marking but assessments are backing up a bit so I'll need to get caught up at half term.

I'm on dad duty tonight:D. He's happily watching TV so I'm hoping to get a few hours work done before bedtime. I slept really badly last night and was wide awake for several hours during the night and was utterly jiggered when the alarm went off. I've been a bit zombie like this afternoon so I'm hoping for a better night tonight. As if middle age wasn't bad enough without messing with your sleep patterns. My sister is 10 years older than me and is still suffering from insomnia that started Premenopause. Somnething to look forward to ...:eek:

The rest of the day has gone quite well, I've had an offer on the rental but at £50 less rent than advertised. I've offered to meet them half way with a reduction of £25 so we'll see.
    Dd is out for dinner with a friend and ds has done a past maths paper and is off to a sports club later. Both are on good form although dd is worried about driving in the snow tomorrow and tbh so am I as I've got a 60 mile round trip on very hilly country roads - not nice.

I'm really looking forward to half term as I've got lots off lovely (but thrifty!) things planned so I'm determined to try and get as much school work done this week as I can.

Today's mfw successes have been;

Nsd :j

Daily sweep and wipe done

Diy hair easy to manage :)

Operation 'use half of everything' going well

94p TT done

Cheap healthy eats (overnight oats for breakfast, lo roast dinner for lunch, spicy lentil soup and egg Mayo ciabatta sarnies for dinner).

Duck from the stock carcasses marinating in hm satay sauce ready for dinner tomorrow.

I'm off to do a couple of hours assessment marking - living the dream :rotfl:
    Happy Monday folks :)

PP xx
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Okay, while you're doing the living-it-large marking, think about home made duck stock :) And as a veggie, the lentil soup and ciabatta has me kind of salivating :):):)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • pinkypig
    That's a jolly job for a veggie Karma !!
    They were good and all the better for being made with 10p ys ciabatta rolls:money:

Hope you've kept safe, warm and out of the snow xx
  • pinkypig
    I've had a much easier day at work so I'm hoping yesterday was either Monday miseries or Endoftermitis. Perhaps it was a bit of both. The kids were more focussed and the adults less 'highly charged'! That was obviously once I got there - snow doubled my journey time but me and the car are in one piece so hurrah for that.

I'm on my final dad duty of the week and when I arrived he was watching the same recorded episode of his favourite drama that was on when i got home from work yesterday. Given that another automatically starts as one finishes it feels like Groundhog Day:rotfl:
    He's happy though - so good to see him chilled and relaxed, very different to a year ago. Dementia is a terrible thing:(

I knew today would be a busy one as ds has a revision class and dd was working late and i had to get to dad's so I put rice in the rice cooker with hm duck stock last night and added it to a fried onion, frozen peas and chopped peppers and the marinated duck this morning before i left for work so it was just to heat up when the kid's wanted to eat tonight. I brought some for me and dad and there's enough for lunch tomorrow.

In money news I've had a nsd and think I've found new tenants. Apparently they agreed to the 'meet half way' rent offer and are filling in the application. Fingers crossed the deposit arrives soon and their references are OK.

Fear I may be getting selfish and a bit obsessed as when I saw news of the ongoing global crash all I could think about was the plummeting value of my pension funds :eek::rotfl:

Other successes included;

Marking up to date and some assessments marked

Cheap healthy eats (porridge for breakfast, lo lentil soup and us roll for lunch, duck satay with Chinese style rice for dinner using meat off the stock bones:money:)

Daily sweep and wipe done

I'm off to mark more assessments so I don't have them hanging over me at half term.

Nearly hump day - onwards and upwards:)

PPxx
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    pinkypig wrote: »
    Fear I may be getting selfish and a bit obsessed as when I saw news of the ongoing global crash all I could think about was the plummeting value of my pension funds :eek::rotfl:
    Take a ticket and join the queue :rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • pinkypig
    gallygirl wrote: »

Not just me then:D
  • pinkypig
    gallygirl wrote: »

Can I also say I feel like I've been visited by MFW Royalty :j:j. You're one of my heroes!

Thank you for popping in Ma'am :rotfl::rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback